New Raspberry PI 3 B+ ...Rock64 still better:D
(04-04-2018, 07:41 AM)Luke Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:02 AM)Shak7 Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 03:32 PM)Luke Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 02:25 PM)Shak7 Wrote: Using GPIO, Raspberry Pi is still on top, I guess most of you know why.. more than 12 million units sold in 6 years, no comparison. Many hands to get software to work. But hey, I cannot see a better small computer than the Rock64 with 4GB RAM in years to come. I could bring the rock64 at work, connect via SSH, VNC and do work like on a big computer, all day long using the ayufan Xenial Mate image. Users can't do that with Raspberry Pi yet. I've used MinnowBoards, Cubieboards, Odroids... they were fast but nowhere near the Rock64 as for versatility. Friends in IT are amazed when I show them the Rock64 as a "REAL" desktop computer that fits in your hand.

GPIO is coming along tho

Thanks for the link! Tried it with some LED and everything works well.

Yea, she's done a great job on the GPIO.
For sure, she's also a nice personality.. Pine64 should hire her as an ambassador for the Rock64 project! Just got my RasPi 3B+ in the mail this morning. Trying it and yes, it's a lot faster and stable than 3B as for desktop use.. But in no way a Rock64 4GB RAM killer. Can't say RaspPi 3B+ doesn't make sense as for hardware upgrade from 3B.
There's no doubt hardware wise, the Rock64 is king of the SBC world. While that can't be argued its only as strong as the software that can run on it and the peripherals that can be attached to it. 

Being a total newcomer to the Pine world I ordered a Pine 1gb board a while back. I tried it out with Xenial and it was just ordinary and the form factor was a put off when compared to the Raspberry Pi. I ordered the Rock64 4g recently and just got it up and running on Saturday. Everything powered up fine using Xenial but the first hurdle I hit was none of my wifi dongles were supported by Xenial. I'm still trying to resolve that issue as I type.

My first reaction to the above problem was why didn't the makers integrate wifi onto the Rock64 board. I'm sure someone will tell me why. My next observation was the Pine community is quite small and there's a big reliance on one or two individuals to come up with solutions to problems. I do appreciate the Rock64 is quite new and it will take time to work out solutions but I'd expect a manufacturer to have some blueprint in place to have a solid working hardware/software solution and not being reliant on one or two individuals to supply this solution in their spare time.

Here's hoping the Rock64 community grows and becomes, if not as big, maybe as popular as the Raspberry Pi community.
(04-17-2018, 06:20 AM)Rocklobster Wrote: There's no doubt hardware wise, the Rock64 is king of the SBC world. While that can't be argued its only as strong as the software that can run on it and the peripherals that can be attached to it. 

Being a total newcomer to the Pine world I ordered a Pine 1gb board a while back. I tried it out with Xenial and it was just ordinary and the form factor was a put off when compared to the Raspberry Pi. I ordered the Rock64 4g recently and just got it up and running on Saturday. Everything powered up fine using Xenial but the first hurdle I hit was none of my wifi dongles were supported by Xenial. I'm still trying to resolve that issue as I type.

My first reaction to the above problem was why didn't the makers integrate wifi onto the Rock64 board. I'm sure someone will tell me why. My next observation was the Pine community is quite small and there's a big reliance on one or two individuals to come up with solutions to problems. I do appreciate the Rock64 is quite new and it will take time to work out solutions but I'd expect a manufacturer to have some blueprint in place to have a solid working hardware/software solution and not being reliant on one or two individuals to supply this solution in their spare time.

Here's hoping the Rock64 community grows and becomes, if not as big, maybe as popular as the Raspberry Pi community.

We don't integrate the Wifi module into PINE64 product due to most countries, such as Japan, Taiwan, Israel and etc, required their own country wireless certification's before able to import. This may not be problem for individual but can become a big issue when companies using PINE64 board for their commercial or industrial project that no need Wifi. Even on certain projects that Wifi is needed, they may need to have special requirement like outdoor antenna.
(04-04-2018, 12:34 PM)Shak7 Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 07:41 AM)Luke Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:02 AM)Shak7 Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 03:32 PM)Luke Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 02:25 PM)Shak7 Wrote: Using GPIO, Raspberry Pi is still on top, I guess most of you know why.. more than 12 million units sold in 6 years, no comparison. Many hands to get software to work. But hey, I cannot see a better small computer than the Rock64 with 4GB RAM in years to come. I could bring the rock64 at work, connect via SSH, VNC and do work like on a big computer, all day long using the ayufan Xenial Mate image. Users can't do that with Raspberry Pi yet. I've used MinnowBoards, Cubieboards, Odroids... they were fast but nowhere near the Rock64 as for versatility. Friends in IT are amazed when I show them the Rock64 as a "REAL" desktop computer that fits in your hand.

GPIO is coming along tho

Thanks for the link! Tried it with some LED and everything works well.

Yea, she's done a great job on the GPIO.
For sure, she's also a nice personality.. Pine64 should hire her as an ambassador for the Rock64 project! Just got my RasPi 3B+ in the mail this morning. Trying it and yes, it's a lot faster and stable than 3B as for desktop use.. But in no way a Rock64 4GB RAM killer. Can't say RaspPi 3B+ doesn't make sense as for hardware upgrade from 3B.
I would go further and say that, potentially, it is a better SBC than the Odroid XU4 and ASUS Tinker Board, However ... Is anyone else having trouble with libreoffice and very big WP files? My Rock64 4gb crashes during 'heavy lifting' using 
Code:
bionic-lxde-rock64-0.6.44-239-arm64.img

Is anyone finding other OS's more stable, such as Armbian, Debian or Dietpi?
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 113 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,452 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,864 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 255 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,770 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,791 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,397 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,974 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 703 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 906 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267