First images with DRM and Mali support for A64
I have been using this image OS for about a week now.

when I used it in pine A64 2GB board the HDMI screen gets greenish. All the colors are distorted. Screen becomes normal only when DRM is activated.
But system is lagging and videos cant be played in VLC or SMplayer when DRM is activated.

To me the only benefit of this OS over other linux distros is that it can play full screen videos within chromium browser.

Is this the usual behaviour of this distro?
Is this OS image only for pinebook?
(08-03-2017, 06:04 AM)Pushpike Wrote: I have been using this image OS for about a week now.

when I used it in pine A64 2GB board the HDMI screen gets greenish. All the colors are distorted. Screen becomes normal only when DRM is activated.
But system is lagging and videos cant be played in VLC or SMplayer when DRM is activated.

To me the only benefit of this OS over other linux distros is that it can play full screen videos within chromium browser.

Is this the usual behaviour of this distro?
Is this OS image only for pinebook?

I'm glad you said green, I thought it was just my monitor being stupid... (was doing some stuff with pine64 and HDMI the other week and getting a green console) Wink  Normal 2D performance does appear to suffer when the DRM mode is enabled on the pinebook, so since this is the same SoC we're talking about, I would expect the same on the pine64. Most of the work is geared towards the pinebook, but if you downloaded an image with pine64 in it's name instead of pinebook, you are running a pine64 image. Wink

Does it only affect the console for you, or is it even the desktop environment? If it's the latter, that isn't expected behaviour! :-O
(08-03-2017, 06:28 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Most of the work is geared towards the pinebook, but if you downloaded an image with pine64 in it's name instead of pinebook, you are running a pine64 image. Wink

Does it only affect the console for you, or is it even the desktop environment? If it's the latter, that isn't expected behaviour! :-O

Thank you for your quick reply.

I downloaded the minimal image for pine64 board. When I booted it to the console (before installing the desktop), the screen was green.

I ran the 3 scripts to update. Then added the ppa and updated. Then installed the additional packages needed. Then I enabled the DRM.

Only after rebooting the screen became normal. At last I installed the desktop. After instslling desktop if I disable DRM again the screen gets greenish.
Hello,

I'm having trouble booting any of the ayufan's images on Pinebook, I have tried:
jessie-minimal-pine64-0.7.7-99.img.xz
xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.7-99.img.xz
xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.5-88.img.xz

I have used "PINE64 Installer" to write the untarred images to the microSD card. When attempting to boot I either get blinking cursor right after PINE64 splash screen or I see blank screen and power LED blinks 3 times and repeat. The only image that I had success is: xenial-mate-pinebook-bspkernel-0.6.2-77-sd2emmc.img.xz. I have updated my Pinebook with that but it has MATE and software compositor. I'm looking for Mali DRM / 3D accel / video decoding accel and would really like i3 window manager.

Any ideas?
(08-03-2017, 09:19 PM)Pushpike Wrote: I downloaded the minimal image for pine64 board. When I booted it to the console (before installing the desktop), the screen was green.

I ran the 3 scripts to update. Then added the ppa and updated. Then installed the additional packages needed. Then I enabled the DRM.

Only after rebooting the screen became normal. At last I installed the desktop. After instslling desktop if I disable DRM again the screen gets greenish.

Thanks for that... that's exactly the same as what I'm getting then Sad

I'm going back to the 'release' 0.6.2 minimal xenial image, as it will most likely be something to do with the DRM changes which have been primarily tested on the pinebook, and aren't entirely compatible with the pine64 minimal images... the hazards for pre-release images! :-O

(08-04-2017, 03:03 PM)fatalhalt Wrote: Hello,

I'm having trouble booting any of the ayufan's images on Pinebook, I have tried:
jessie-minimal-pine64-0.7.7-99.img.xz
xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.7-99.img.xz
xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.5-88.img.xz

I have used "PINE64 Installer" to write the untarred images to the microSD card. When attempting to boot I either get blinking cursor right after PINE64 splash screen or I see blank screen and power LED blinks 3 times and repeat. The only image that I had success is: xenial-mate-pinebook-bspkernel-0.6.2-77-sd2emmc.img.xz. I have updated my Pinebook with that but it has MATE and software compositor. I'm looking for Mali DRM / 3D accel / video decoding accel and would really like i3 window manager.

Any ideas?

Untarred images? Not sure what you mean by that... the pine64 installer should accept the files as is, and decompress them itself.

Edit: Scratch that... I've just tried booting the xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.7-99.img.xz image, and I'm getting the 1 second power light cycle on off that you reported. $%^#$!

And was that with the same SD card in all those cases? If not, try writing one of these images to the one that worked.

I haven't tried any of the xenial-i3 images, so I'll download one shortly and see what my mileage is. I'm pretty sure the 0.6 i3 images were fine thou... as I think Xalius is a i3 fanboy Wink
(08-04-2017, 07:07 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Untarred images? Not sure what you mean by that... the pine64 installer should accept the files as is, and decompress them itself.

Edit: Scratch that... I've just tried booting the xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.7-99.img.xz image, and I'm getting the 1 second power light cycle on off that you reported. $%^#$!

And was that with the same SD card in all those cases? If not, try writing one of these images to the one that worked.

I haven't tried any of the xenial-i3 images, so I'll download one shortly and see what my mileage is. I'm pretty sure the 0.6 i3 images were fine thou... as I think Xalius is a i3 fanboy Wink

Hello, thanks for checking.

By 'untarred' I mean uncompressing .xz archive with GNU tar 'tar -xvJf foo.img.xz'. I wasn't aware that PINE64 installer accepts .xz files.
I only have 1 spare microSD card, I'm sure it is OK as the official MATE image works fine.
I have tried most of the images from github I haven't got any of them working. I finally tried the older xenial-i3-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.5-88.img.xz image (from 2 weeks ago) and it ALMOST worked, Pinebook booted, and I briefly saw 'Ubuntu 16.04.x LTS'  string on the screen but right after that all I saw was blinking cursor, waited 10 minutes and nothing changed.
  • 0.7.6: Include build targets: zesty/stretch/jessie
It means that I may dist-update my PB to Zesty and it will work finally?
It looks like Ayufan's automatic Linux builds starting with 0.7.6 have no U-Boot included?

Running pine64_update_uboot.sh 0.7.6 or pine64_update_uboot.sh 0.7.7 gives you a 404.

Maybe that's why all the new disk images don't boot?
(08-10-2017, 11:05 AM)FrancisTheodoreCat Wrote: It looks like Ayufan's automatic Linux builds starting with 0.7.6 have no U-Boot included?

Running pine64_update_uboot.sh 0.7.6 or pine64_update_uboot.sh 0.7.7 gives you a 404.

Maybe that's why all the new disk images don't boot?

Is that so ? Didn't have a chance to run 0.7.6 + yet. ayufan is away for more than a week anyways, so nothing to be done about it. Will download the image and take a look.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Update to 0.7.7 went smoothly and without any problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official Debian support! Luke 84 127,997 03-15-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: grobbs
  official support for aarch64 in OpenArena Opvolger 0 1,484 03-24-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Opvolger
  Fedora 32 Release, improved support for Rock(Pro)64 Tharadash 2 5,765 05-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Kickstarter: Allwinner VPU support in the official Linux kernel xalius 8 14,615 10-03-2019, 03:03 AM
Last Post: bunkerWHz