First images with DRM and Mali support for A64
Exclamation 
Note: The issue with the pine64_enable_sunxidrm.sh should have been resolved in the 0.7.2 release.

These news will certainly make many of you quite happy. Ayufan has released first pre-release images with DRM and Mali for all A64 platforms. Now head over and click the paypal (ayufan@osk-net.pl) in his signature and buy him a beer Wink 

edit: also huge  thanks to lennyraposo ! 

Do note that these are pre-release images so things may not be at their optimal performance or work as intended. 
Those of you who wish contribute to development - make sure to take a look in ayufan's git

The images for the respective platforms can be downloaded here

To enable the new features run:
Code:
sudo /usr/local/sbin/pine64_enable_sunxidrm.sh

and reboot.

N.B. If you are upgrading from an earlier image (prior to 0.7.0) you will also need to add the following PPA and run an update prior to doing the above: 

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ayufan/pine64-ppa
sudo apt-get update
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-12-2017, 03:46 PM)Luke Wrote: These news will certainly make many of you quite happy. Ayufan has released first pre-release images with DRM and Mali for all A64 platforms. Now head over and click the paypal (ayufan@osk-net.pl) in his signature and buy him a beer Wink 

Do note that these are pre-release images so things may not be at their optimal performance or work as intended. 
Those of you who wish contribute to development - make sure to take a look in ayufan's git

The images for the respective platforms can be downloaded here

To enable the new features run:
Code:
sudo /usr/local/sbin/pine64_enable_sunxidrm.sh

and reboot

Temporarily the script to get it working is broken - wait a short bit as it gets solved Wink 

Thanks on this good news and bravo to Ayufan.
I think the upgrade path from pre-0.7.0 should be be to simply re-image... as installing the PPA and updating is NOT enough to bring those updates across, as as doing a

Code:
sudo -i
apt-add-repository -y ppa:longsleep/ubuntu-pine64-flavour-makers
apt-add-repository -y ppa:ayufan/pine64-ppa
apt update
apt dist-upgrade

Was not sufficient, nor was
Code:
sudo -i
curl -fsSL http://deb.ayufan.eu/orgs/ayufan-rock64/archive.key | apt-key add -
cat > "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ayufan-pine64.list" <<EOF
deb http://deb.ayufan.eu/orgs/ayufan-pine64/releases /

# uncomment to use pre-release kernels and compatibility packages
deb http://deb.ayufan.eu/orgs/ayufan-pine64/pre-releases /
EOF

apt update
apt dist-upgrade

(as per the initial image generation for the 0.7.x images)

Plus the change in boot partition size would also be applied, as that can't be done through an update Wink
What means DRM and Mali support? The prior version did not support Mali GPU?

Is it possible to upgrade from 0.6.2 ?
(07-13-2017, 12:25 AM)Wizzard Wrote: What means DRM and Mali support? The prior version did not support Mali GPU?

Is it possible to upgrade from 0.6.2 ?

Wizzard, you can try... see if the commands that luke gave work, and then if they don't see the additional ones I gave get it to work. My pinebook currently has a 0.5.x release on it, and it won't direct upgrade. 

The GPU on a ARM processor is primarily for 3D rendering and image transformation. Most of the graphics stuff is actually down by the Display Engine in the CPU, that is a topic for another thread. Basically, this should mean that anything that needed OpenGLES should now work.
So, it should just improve apps like Tuxracer and not the scrolling speed in Firefox, right?
That's what I would think... I haven't tried it yet Wink

Ok, I think the bits that are missing from above are as follows (havn't tested this yet Wink are:

Installation of additional packages from https://launchpad.net/~ayufan/+archive/ubuntu/pine64-ppa/

So after 

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ayufan/pine64-ppa
sudo apt-get update

You need to run

sudo apt install libmali-sunxi xf86-video-armsoc

to install these two packages from the PPA.

And as always, you can run any of the following to get the latest version of the kernel, uboot and pine64 support package stuff:
Code:
sudo ./pine64_update_kernel.sh 0.7.1
sudo ./pine64_update_uboot.sh 0.7.1
sudo ./pine64_update_package.sh 0.7.1
How will I know if it is upgraded correctly? Just running Extreme Tux Racer and see the fps?
Run glamrk2-es2 on Ayufan 0.7.2, the MALI seems already enable. The score still low but a big step forward. Bravo.
Ok, clean installed the latest version, enabled Mali, maybe Tux Racer has a little higher fps,but it is not smooth yet.

Noticed that window title is a little distorted in LXQt session with Openbox WM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official Debian support! Luke 84 127,351 03-15-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: grobbs
  official support for aarch64 in OpenArena Opvolger 0 1,474 03-24-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Opvolger
  Fedora 32 Release, improved support for Rock(Pro)64 Tharadash 2 5,749 05-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Kickstarter: Allwinner VPU support in the official Linux kernel xalius 8 14,580 10-03-2019, 03:03 AM
Last Post: bunkerWHz