New Pinebook 14'' does not boot from sd card
Hi,
before I've read this thread I bought a SanDisk Ultra Imaging microSDXC 128GB to have a plenty of space.  I flashed it with pine64-image-debianmate-310102bsp-2.img but when I switched on the Pinebook only one LED was blinking.  I learned here that the Pinebook 14'' does not boot from microSDXC.  So I gave this one back and bought Samsung MicroSDHC 32GB EVO Plus which was confirmed here to be working.  I flashed this card with the same image but with no better result.  When trying to boot from the SD card the most left LED over the keyboard is blinking and nothing else is happening.
Any hint what to do?
Kind regards, Andreas.
(07-24-2017, 12:16 PM)tillea Wrote: Hi,
before I've read this thread I bought a SanDisk Ultra Imaging microSDXC 128GB to have a plenty of space.  I flashed it with pine64-image-debianmate-310102bsp-2.img but when I switched on the Pinebook only one LED was blinking.  I learned here that the Pinebook 14'' does not boot from microSDXC.  So I gave this one back and bought Samsung MicroSDHC 32GB EVO Plus which was confirmed here to be working.  I flashed this card with the same image but with no better result.  When trying to boot from the SD card the most left LED over the keyboard is blinking and nothing else is happening.
Any hint what to do?
Kind regards, Andreas.

You are running an unsupported image. Please read this thread carefully. 
As an alternative to the Ubuntu image, you also can use Q4OS (Debian) - which is also available from the installer. 
There is also a minimal (without DE) Arch Linux image available here.  
There is also a pre-release build of Armbian available in their nightly section.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-24-2017, 12:23 PM)Luke Wrote: You are running an unsupported image. Please read this thread carefully. 
As an alternative to the Ubuntu image, you also can use Q4OS (Debian) - which is also available from the installer. 
There is also a minimal (without DE) Arch Linux image available here.  
There is also a pre-release build of Armbian available in their nightly section.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll try Q4OS meanwhile.  Beeing a Debian developer myself I'm wondering why it is not possible to use plain official Debian installer instead of flashing complete images.  Is there any chance to upgrade those images to the status on the official Debian mirror to finally have a clean Debian laptop (which was my original goal).
Kind regards, Andreas.
The main issue with the image that you picked was that it wasn't for the pinebook, it's a pine64 image Wink

It may be possible to do debian images (and in fact Lenny is working on re-doing his Debian builds, so debian should be back on the cards in the next few weeks)... since the automated image system is at the point that it can just suck up a rootfs image and work from that. That is, of course, after using the correct kernel and uboot Wink

(07-24-2017, 12:57 PM)tillea Wrote: Being a Debian developer myself I'm wondering why it is not possible to use plain official Debian installer instead of flashing complete images.
(07-24-2017, 07:54 PM)pfeerick Wrote: The main issue with the image that you picked was that it wasn't for the pinebook, it's a pine64 image Wink

Ahhh, I think I found the reason.  I forgot to switch to pinebook in the installer app.  I'll try again ...

(07-24-2017, 07:54 PM)pfeerick Wrote: It may be possible to do debian images (and in fact Lenny is working on re-doing his Debian builds, so debian should be back on the cards in the next few weeks)... since the automated image system is at the point that it can just suck up a rootfs image and work from that. That is, of course, after using the correct kernel and uboot Wink

So how can I get these?  I just learned that pine64 is something else than pinebook.  When buying the pinebook my intention was to have a real Debian laptop (preferable with Squeeze or even testing) with netbook performance and long lasting battery.  Is there any step by step description how I can get this or do I have wrong assumptions what is possible with this cute hardware?

Kind regards, Andreas.
Q4OS is build on debian 8 Jessie.....isnt that enough?
İf you disable the DE and do edit sources.list - isnt that debian not near enough a "real" debian-system? ;-)
(07-25-2017, 12:42 AM)tillea Wrote: So how can I get these?  I just learned that pine64 is something else than pinebook.  When buying the pinebook my intention was to have a real Debian laptop (preferable with Squeeze or even testing) with netbook performance and long lasting battery.  Is there any step by step description how I can get this or do I have wrong assumptions what is possible with this cute hardware?

Basically just wait for a little while, and keep and eye on the forum and pine64-installer images... For best performance at the moment, atm, have a look at the xenial images for the pinebook (0.6.2 is now in the installer, 0.7.5 is the current pre-release on ayufan's github) and also look at the Armbian pinebook images - they use XFCE but still on a ubuntu xenal base.

If you you're interested in getting Debian on the pinebook radar, probably best to have a look at the linux-build system for the pine64 stuff, and having a chat with lennyrapso on the IRC chat (link in sig), as he had been working on images for the pine64 and I believe is looking at doing pinebook images.
(07-25-2017, 03:42 AM)guidol Wrote: Q4OS is build on debian 8 Jessie.....isnt that enough?
İf you disable the DE and do edit sources.list - isnt that debian not near enough a "real" debian-system? ;-)

After now having successfully put that on SD card I can confirm that this is enough for my purpose (provided an upgrade would work flawlessly as I know it from any intel based maching).  However, I now want to flash my 64GB eMMC and I realised that I need another image for this and those dedicated eMMC images do not contain Q4OS.  I admit I keep on wondering why this is so complicated with flashing prepared images instead of simply firing up an installer as I was using on intel based machines.  I've got the advise that I should wait a bit until there might be Debian based eMMC flash images, but I had expected that I would get this machine up and running a bit faster.
Thanks for all the hints anyway, Andreas.
(07-27-2017, 06:25 AM)tillea Wrote: [quote pid='29719' dateline='1500975748']
After now having successfully put that on SD card I can confirm that this is enough for my purpose (provided an upgrade would work flawlessly as I know it from any intel based maching).  However, I now want to flash my 64GB eMMC and I realised that I need another image for this and those dedicated eMMC images do not contain Q4OS...

[/quote]
You only need to install Q4OS on the internal eMMC, just click on a "Install Q4OS" desktop icon and follow instructions.
Quote:I admit I keep on wondering why this is so complicated with flashing prepared images instead of simply firing up an installer as I was using on intel based machines.

I'll quote Xalius here:

Quote:Just because RPI made embedded Linux seem simple doesn't mean that it actually is. 
(not an actual quote)
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinebook 1080p power/barrel connector/cable cel 0 496 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cel
  eMMC compatible with Pinebook leperotero 0 1,321 07-19-2022, 07:15 AM
Last Post: leperotero
Heart [solved] Anyone selling their Pinebook? feyn 0 1,167 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Last Post: feyn
  Move PB Pro eMMC 128 GB to Pinebook 11 1080p petet0n76 1 1,562 06-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Last Post: tllim
  UART switch Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 3 3,215 01-03-2022, 03:28 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Exclamation "6" Key direly needed for 11" Pinebook Corkonian 1 2,528 09-25-2021, 12:03 AM
Last Post: tllim
  SD card read/write troubles jezek 1 2,919 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook 14 " Battery Swollen/Bulged billjon 1 3,534 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: barray
  touchpad on pinebook issues? ron_burgundy 14 13,499 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Pinebook doesn't charge anymore Reinoud 0 2,630 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Reinoud