Alt meta keys do not respond on PRERELEASE 14" Pinebook
Exclamation 
The production units DO NOT have this problem, apparently; several have tested.

If you have a pre release pinebook, please read on !

I first noticed this problem on the 14" pinebook while using weechat irc client;  the meta key combination alt-L to pull up the raw window does not work on my client... I used the manual command and moved on (forgot about it frankly)

Tonight after update and upgrade I tried to pull up one of the fbcon (black screen) terminals with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and it did not work.  In fact none of my fbcon terminals will come up ( Ctrl+Alt+F1 - F7 ).

Next I tried using xev ( as well evtest ) to get the keycodes of the Ctrl key, as well the Alt meta keys (left and right). And to my surprise the meta keys on my 14" do not produce valid keycodes ( neither Alt key ) on either of the test instruments ( xev nor evtest ).

So, I'm interested to know whether anyone else with a Pinebook 14" with the new production keyboard has this issue too?  To test just start  xev  tool and then press and release several of the keys on you keyboard , but specifically the left Alt and right Alt keys;  do you get a valid keycode for each Alt key, or does it not respond ??

Thank you.

Update:   note:   evtest and scancode show similar results;  the Alt keys are not present !

Update:   note:   I plugged in my usb wireless K360 from logitech (right port) and the Alt keys are visible there, and the Ctrl+Alt+F1  does pull up the fbcon black screen;  so, again, the input method on this 14" Pinebook keyboard is producing NO scancode for either Alt key.  Hoping to here soon whether other Pinebook users are seeing this .

Update:   note:   using  System -> Prefs -> Hardware -> Keyboard ; layouts tab  

...  alt key behavior:   I swapped the win key with the alt key...   Smile

Now  Ctrl+win+F1  takes me to the fbcon black screen, and  win+F7 takes me back

However;  I still need to get to the bottom of why this pre release model has no alt key scancodes.

marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
It seems that there is some mfg defect in the keyboard module scan matrix lines.  I did reseat the connectors, but the Alt keys are still dead;  no scancodes even.

So, we have a new bottom case top bezel on order ;  see if we can move the guts over and correct this problem;  in the mean time, I'm mapping the DEL key to be the pipe key, and mapping the old pipe key to be the right Alt key.  The win key is now the left Alt key;  so have good work around.

Blush
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-16-2017, 11:06 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: It seems that there is some mfg defect in the keyboard module scan matrix lines.  I did reseat the connectors, but the Alt keys are still dead;  no scancodes even.

So, we have a new bottom case top bezel on order ;  see if we can move the guts over and correct this problem;  in the mean time, I'm mapping the DEL key to be the pipe key, and mapping the old pipe key to be the right Alt key.  The win key is now the left Alt key;  so have good work around.

Blush

My guess amy due to there is mismatch between previous keyboard and the current HID microcontroller (8051) firmware mismatch.
(07-17-2017, 02:55 PM)tllim Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 11:06 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: It seems that there is some mfg defect in the keyboard module scan matrix lines.  I did reseat the connectors, but the Alt keys are still dead;  no scancodes even.

Blush

My guess amy due to there is mismatch between previous keyboard and the current HID microcontroller (8051) firmware mismatch.

Thanks TLLim,  I suspect you are correct.  I am not finding any damage to the matix scanlines on the module ( you know me, I would try to fix them ).  It would be interesting to be able to flash the 8051 firmware if needed !  

Thanks again.
marcushh777    Cool

I changed the topic title to be more accurate to the thread Wink

Didn't you also mention on IRC that the Alt key woke the pinebook up or something?
(07-18-2017, 07:20 PM)pfeerick Wrote: I changed the topic title to be more accurate to the thread Wink

Didn't you also mention on IRC that the Alt key woke the pinebook up or something?

It seems like firmware mismatch is the best explanation at this point.  In the beginning of this exercise I believed that the Alt key might be waking the pinebook;  however, this was just vibration towards the touchpad.  The Alt keys don't seem to be having any consequence whatever.
marcushh777    Cool

If your Alt keys are dead the full functionality of the keyboard can be restored with preferences-->hardware-->keyboard-->layouts | options:

both shift keys together = capslock;  either shift releases

left Alt is swapped with left Win

capslock is third level chooser  ;   this is AltGr

compose key = third level left ctrl

fbcon is ctrl+Win+F1

unicode is still  second level ctrl + u    ctrl+shift+u  [number]

Big Grin

marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinebook 1080p power/barrel connector/cable cel 0 496 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cel
  eMMC compatible with Pinebook leperotero 0 1,321 07-19-2022, 07:15 AM
Last Post: leperotero
Heart [solved] Anyone selling their Pinebook? feyn 0 1,168 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Last Post: feyn
  Move PB Pro eMMC 128 GB to Pinebook 11 1080p petet0n76 1 1,564 06-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Last Post: tllim
  UART switch Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 3 3,216 01-03-2022, 03:28 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Exclamation "6" Key direly needed for 11" Pinebook Corkonian 1 2,529 09-25-2021, 12:03 AM
  Pinebook 14 " Battery Swollen/Bulged billjon 1 3,536 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: barray
  touchpad on pinebook issues? ron_burgundy 14 13,507 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Pinebook doesn't charge anymore Reinoud 0 2,631 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Reinoud
Information How To Setup Serial Console Cable Over the Pinebook MarkHaysHarris777 4 22,686 07-02-2020, 06:33 PM