Which OS will you be running on the Pinebook?
Linux
94.83%
Android
5.17%
58 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

BSP Linux woes, early adopter information and a poll
(06-06-2017, 09:37 AM)Luke Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 09:22 AM)Pirolocito Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 07:18 AM)Luke Wrote: The most recent kernel patch brings the hz refresh rate from 56hz to 63hz. 
While it doesn't have a 'real' impact on the PBs performance, it sure does 'feel' smoother. 
You can upgrade your current image using the available scripts like so 
Code:
sudo ./pine64_update_kernel.sh 0.5.5
sudo ./pine64_update_uboot.sh 0.5.5
sudo ./pine64_update_package.sh 0.5.5

I felt some flickering in PB11 and returned to 0.5.4

flickering ? I haven't experienced anything of the sort and I have been trying it out for the past few hours. Perhaps I missed something ? When does the screen flicker - generally when working in the desktop, when opening an application, when watching a movie in SMPlayer/ VLC, etc ? (I tried all the above, no flickering on my end).

right after login in the reduced distro using the upgrades.
I'm facing issues while installing software from the 'Software Boutique'. I can only see the following error essage displayed on all tabs - 'Sorry, welcome feature could not feature any software for this category that is compatible on this system'. Anyone else notice this too? Please let me know how we can fix this & install additional software like audacity etc which is prsent in the software boutique, This would be well appreciated by users who are not that well versed with advanced Linux & prefer installing stuff using GUI.

I managed to fix the low audio issue by plugging in a USB sound card & conneting my earphones. Now the sound is really loud Smile
I'm guessing that users can solve this issue using a bluetooth speakers a well... haven't tested this out though. If anyone has done this please update.
(06-06-2017, 12:47 PM)Pirolocito Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 07:18 AM)Luke Wrote: The most recent kernel patch brings the hz refresh rate from 56hz to 63hz. 
While it doesn't have a 'real' impact on the PBs performance, it sure does 'feel' smoother. 
Code:

flickering ? I haven't experienced anything of the sort and I have been trying it out for the past few hours. Perhaps I missed something ? When does the screen flicker - generally when working in the desktop, when opening an application, when watching a movie in SMPlayer/ VLC, etc ? (I tried all the above, no flickering on my end).

try 0.6.0

(06-27-2017, 04:17 PM)Ajinkya Wrote: I'm facing issues while installing software from the 'Software Boutique'. I can only see the following error essage displayed on all tabs - 'Sorry, welcome feature could not feature any software for this category that is compatible on this system'. Anyone else notice this too? Please let me know how we can fix this & install additional software like audacity etc which is prsent in the software boutique, This would be well appreciated by users who are not that well versed with advanced Linux & prefer installing stuff using GUI.

I managed to fix the low audio issue by plugging in a USB sound card & conneting my earphones. Now the sound is really loud Smile
I'm guessing that users can solve this issue using a bluetooth speakers a well... haven't tested this out though. If anyone has done this please update.

The issue with the software boutique isnt our fault - it just looks like ubuntu mate hasnt considered adding packages for an arm64 SOC to the boutique. So, if you want GUI consider using synaptic package manager.

Regarding, audio: looks through recent posts, Xalius explained how to set the volume correctly (if I find it I will edit it in) take a look at Xalius response in this thread.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-27-2017, 04:17 PM)Ajinkya Wrote: I'm facing issues while installing software from the 'Software Boutique'. I can only see the following error essage displayed on all tabs - 'Sorry, welcome feature could not feature any software for this category that is compatible on this system'. Anyone else notice this too? 

As Luke said, this is a Software Boutique issue as it hasn't been updated for arm64. It should work if you use these parameters to force it into armhf mode instead (when run from the terminal). Hopefully they will update it in the future to support arm64.

Code:
ubuntu-mate-welcome --software-only --force-arch=armhf
(workaround shamelessly stolen from : http://www.minchev.eu/pinebook/)

In the meantime , you are much better off using the Synaptic Package manager, as it will let you search through all the arm64 amd armhf packages available for install. To install it:

Code:
sudo apt install synaptic

And you'll find it under System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manger on Ubuntu Mate once installed.
(06-27-2017, 04:40 PM)Luke Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 12:47 PM)Pirolocito Wrote:
Code:

try 0.6.0

(06-27-2017, 04:17 PM)Ajinkya Wrote: I'm facing issues while installing software from the 'Software Boutique'. I can only see the following error essage displayed on all tabs - 'Sorry, welcome feature could not feature any software for this category that is compatible on this system'. Anyone else notice this too? Please let me know how we can fix this & install additional software like audacity etc which is prsent in the software boutique, This would be well appreciated by users who are not that well versed with advanced Linux & prefer installing stuff using GUI.

The issue with the software boutique isnt our fault - it just looks like ubuntu mate hasnt considered adding packages for an arm64 SOC to the boutique. So, if you want GUI consider using synaptic package manager.

Regarding, audio: looks through recent posts, Xalius explained how to set the volume correctly (if I find it I will edit it in) take a look at Xalius response in this thread.

Thanks very much. The speaker volume works much better now after tweaking with alsamixer. And yes, i hope that Ubuntu inludes support for ARM in the very near future. I'll put in more questions soon. Thanks! Smile

(06-27-2017, 09:07 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 04:17 PM)Ajinkya Wrote: I'm facing issues while installing software from the 'Software Boutique'. I can only see the following error essage displayed on all tabs - 'Sorry, welcome feature could not feature any software for this category that is compatible on this system'. Anyone else notice this too? 

As Luke said, this is a Software Boutique issue as it hasn't been updated for arm64. It should work if you use these parameters to force it into armhf mode instead (when run from the terminal). Hopefully they will update it in the future to support arm64.

Code:
ubuntu-mate-welcome --software-only --force-arch=armhf
(workaround shamelessly stolen from : http://www.minchev.eu/pinebook/)

In the meantime , you are much better off using the Synaptic Package manager, as it will let you search through all the arm64 amd armhf packages available for install. To install it:

Code:
sudo apt install synaptic

And you'll find it under System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manger on Ubuntu Mate once installed.

Hey thanks for the cool tip. (y)
I feel like we need to start collecting these tips into one massive thread, or wiki article. The Firefox tweaks Luke posted, the alsamixer adjustments, etc.
(06-28-2017, 06:15 PM)jordanjay29 Wrote: I feel like we need to start collecting these tips into one massive thread, or wiki article. The Firefox tweaks Luke posted, the alsamixer adjustments, etc.

What WE REALLY should be doing collectively is cataloguing all of this nefore we and pass it ayufan so it gets fixed in the next image iteration...

Like starting an issue on Github for each?
(06-28-2017, 06:15 PM)jordanjay29 Wrote: I feel like we need to start collecting these tips into one massive thread, or wiki article. The Firefox tweaks Luke posted, the alsamixer adjustments, etc.

263 weird tips to make your Pinebook into a computer!

(I keed, I keed. I think the progress is going quite well for such a new device, but I agree about a wiki or similar with a compendium of basic things that many or most folks might want to do.)
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
These are the alsa settings for getting microphone to work. Credit for fixing the config goes to pfeerick
Will be fixed in next img iterations.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Information about new Pinebooks junker 1 3,972 09-16-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  eMMC boot linux distros for Pinebook. frank-zappa 14 20,382 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  I need some summary information about hardware support by OS for a newbie tahf 10 13,176 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Last Post: tahf
  Poll: Which distro do you use for pinebook? erchache2000 2 5,025 09-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Wizzard
Information Flood of basic linux questions skot 4 5,619 08-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Information Linux image with DRM + Mali Luke 1 6,399 08-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Last Post: abrmx
  ayufan's Linux and Android builds Luke 0 3,515 04-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Luke