Flood of basic linux questions
Information 
Can there be a separate section for newbie linux and android questions that don't specifically have to do with the pinebook?

Things like how do I compile xyz, or what program can I use to do abc?

I'm here to learn and help with the development of THIS device. When I purchased it, I was repeatedly warned that the decide was NOT intended for everyday use, or unexperienced linux users. I believe the price point has helped cause part of this. I'm not saying they should go (but they should learn to google and look on ubuntu/arch forums, or even the pine wikl!), I just think it'd be nice to separate them from the important sections.

What does everyone else think?
The amount of posts these forums get is already too low for the amount of sections. Less sections would actually be better.

And if these people cannot help themselves by googling, why do you assume they would post in the right section. More sections won't help them. It will just confuse them even more.

If you are as smart as you are saying that you are, why not get off your throne and educate these people, help them understand the problem they are having. (Teach them how to fish) So they can "evolve" and become the kind of users you are looking for.
I kind of found the post off putting as well...  It's not as if this forum is really all that busy in the first place.  I would think that it's a good thing that the Pinebook is generating interest even if its from us plebs
Thanks, apparently my opinion was wrong. I had previously browsed sections to other devices before realizing the difference here. I'll try to continue helping newbies as well.
(08-12-2017, 02:39 PM)skot Wrote: Thanks, apparently my opinion was wrong. I had previously browsed sections to other devices before realizing the difference here. I'll try to continue helping newbies as well.

Thank you !  ... many of us (yes, even me) have had troubles with this in the past;  the idea with this forum is to be as inclusive as possible in such a way that everyone feels welcome and in general has a good experience with the Pine products and especially with the Pine community.  

Any time one of us may become grumpy;  happens.  We want to minimize grumpiness whenever possible, and we want to be helpful;  even to noobs. 

We live in a post-modern world where less and less of the population are wanting to search, and more of the population are wanting to get their info in sound bytes and vid clips;  this is only getting worse, not better.

We can all help by educating each other, and by lending a hand with search arguments and advice that will be welcoming and inclusive;  its not easy, but hey, that's why we get paid the big bucks.

Shy

Thanks everyone.

Note:  ... an additional thought which I forgot to post earlier;  some of us are actually hoping that the SBC community (yes, all of it, including Pine, Raspberry PI, ODroid, Rock64, and others) will actually help to "jump-start" gnu+linux education in hardware, software, development, and general coding !  Frankly a flood of new gnu+linux questions is a good thing.  I support the RPi foundation, the PineA64 community and products, and I'm a card-carrying member of the FSF;  I am personally and deeply committed to education and the spread of gnu+linux and computer freedom !  So, personally, I welcome questions from across the board, and I think this is a place where noobs and gurus can grow together !

Again, thanks.

Big Grin
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,541 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  eMMC boot linux distros for Pinebook. frank-zappa 14 20,330 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Just got my Pinebook, and a few questions Brian Beuken 2 4,003 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Brian Beuken
Bug BSP Linux woes, early adopter information and a poll Luke 42 68,619 08-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Last Post: Luke
Information Linux image with DRM + Mali Luke 1 6,376 08-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Last Post: abrmx
  some questions regarding the pinebook schepers_cp 8 8,479 07-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  ayufan's Linux and Android builds Luke 0 3,509 04-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Luke