Minor note about the RTC battery
I just completed my backerkit survey.  On the picture for the battery for the RTC (real time clock), both the CR and the AAA battery packs just have red/black wires.  I would hope the actual battery pack shipped has the appropriate JST-PH plug to go into the pine64 board (or whatever plug you use on the board).
(02-17-2016, 01:31 AM)MichaelMeissner Wrote: I just completed my backerkit survey.  On the picture for the battery for the RTC (real time clock), both the CR and the AAA battery packs just have red/black wires.  I would hope the actual battery pack shipped has the appropriate JST-PH plug to go into the pine64 board (or whatever plug you use on the board).

The problem is even a small Lithium coin or Alkaline AAA battery, the paper work to file for custom declaration is a lot of job especially deal with different country.
(02-17-2016, 06:31 AM)tllim Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 01:31 AM)MichaelMeissner Wrote: I just completed my backerkit survey.  On the picture for the battery for the RTC (real time clock), both the CR and the AAA battery packs just have red/black wires.  I would hope the actual battery pack shipped has the appropriate JST-PH plug to go into the pine64 board (or whatever plug you use on the board).

The problem is even a small Lithium coin or Alkaline AAA battery, the paper work to file for custom declaration is a lot of job especially deal with different country.

I think Michael is asking whether the RTC unit(s) will ship with bare red and black wires or with an appropriate connector attached. The photo on Backerkit shows bare wires, but not all who may want the RTC will feel comfortable to solder a connector themselves.

I realize why you aren't shipping a battery. That's fine, those are easily sourced.

I meant that the picture on your backer kit will NOT simply attach to your board. Your board has a white 2 pin connector for the battery to plug into, but your picture shows the battery connection as just two wires. You really need to have the appropriate plug attached to those wires so that people can attach it to the board without needing to buy a plug and attach it manually. Or you need to change your board to have a screw terminal to connect the two bare wires. I assume the picture is more a generic stock picture, but just in case it was the actual board you were going to ship, I wanted to point out, it would be useless to many folk without additional work.

And in general, if the pine64 is expected to be attached to the internet, you don't need the battery for the RTC as you can just NTP to keep the clock synced. But if you are going to make the board be mobile where you power it on/off and run unconnected to the internet for periods of time, you do need to keep the clock backed up.

It is great that you have the RTC, as one of the minor problems I have with the Raspberry Pi is it didn't have a RTC. I have add-on boards for doing the RTC, but it is one more thing you have to attach. In addition, the original board had a design flaw with the i2c bus where it would disappear when I attached the camera. The newer boards no longer have the problem, but I have one board from the original batch (as well as a newer board).
(02-17-2016, 06:49 AM)MichaelMeissner Wrote:

I realize why you aren't shipping a battery.  That's fine, those are easily sourced.

I meant that the picture on your backer kit will NOT simply attach to your board.  Your board has a white 2 pin connector for the battery to plug into, but your picture shows the battery connection as just two wires.  You really need to have the appropriate plug attached to those wires so that people can attach it to the board without needing to buy a plug and attach it manually.  Or you need to change your board to have a screw terminal to connect the two bare wires.  I assume the picture is more a generic stock picture, but just in case it was the actual board you were going to ship, I wanted to point out, it would be useless to many folk without additional work.

And in general, if the pine64 is expected to be attached to the internet, you don't need the battery for the RTC as you can just NTP to keep the clock synced.  But if you are going to make the board be mobile where you power it on/off and run unconnected to the internet for periods of time, you do need to keep the clock backed up.

It is great that you have the RTC, as one of the minor problems I have with the Raspberry Pi is it didn't have a RTC.  I have add-on boards for doing the RTC, but it is one more thing you have to attach.  In addition, the original board had a design flaw with the i2c bus where it would disappear when I attached the camera.  The newer boards no longer have the problem, but I have one board from the original batch (as well as a newer board).
Thanks on pointing out the photo mistake. The RTC is no need for general purpose application that always connected to Internet, it is only use for certain application that RTC is needed like remote outdoor information collection that needs time stamp. Thanks on your explanation.
(02-17-2016, 07:07 AM)tllim Wrote:

I realize why you aren't shipping a battery.  That's fine, those are easily sourced.

I meant that the picture on your backer kit will NOT simply attach to your board.  Your board has a white 2 pin connector for the battery to plug into, but your picture shows the battery connection as just two wires.  You really need to have the appropriate plug attached to those wires so that people can attach it to the board without needing to buy a plug and attach it manually.  Or you need to change your board to have a screw terminal to connect the two bare wires.  I assume the picture is more a generic stock picture, but just in case it was the actual board you were going to ship, I wanted to point out, it would be useless to many folk without additional work.

And in general, if the pine64 is expected to be attached to the internet, you don't need the battery for the RTC as you can just NTP to keep the clock synced.  But if you are going to make the board be mobile where you power it on/off and run unconnected to the internet for periods of time, you do need to keep the clock backed up.

It is great that you have the RTC, as one of the minor problems I have with the Raspberry Pi is it didn't have a RTC.  I have add-on boards for doing the RTC, but it is one more thing you have to attach.  In addition, the original board had a design flaw with the i2c bus where it would disappear when I attached the camera.  The newer boards no longer have the problem, but I have one board from the original batch (as well as a newer board).
Thanks on pointing out the photo mistake. The RTC is no need for general purpose application that always connected to Internet, it is only use for certain application that RTC is needed like remote outdoor information collection that needs time stamp. Thanks on your explanation.

Please answer the original question. Will the RTC battery add-on have the correct connector for the board or will it be bare wires?
(02-17-2016, 09:53 AM)hamiltom Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 07:07 AM)tllim Wrote:

Please answer the original question. Will the RTC battery add-on have the correct connector for the board or will it be bare wires?

I think the fact that TL calls it a 'photo mistake' implicitly indicates that the RTC units will have connectors attached.
(02-17-2016, 10:16 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: I think the fact that TL calls it a 'photo mistake' implicitly indicates that the RTC units will have connectors attached.
I would hope that would be the case, but until the description is clarified (and the photo updated), it could very well be you will either have to source the connector plug (and pay more in shipping than the plug costs) or de-solder the connector and re-solder the wires to attach the cables.
(02-17-2016, 11:09 AM)MichaelMeissner Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 10:16 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: I think the fact that TL calls it a 'photo mistake' implicitly indicates that the RTC units will have connectors attached.
I would hope that would be the case, but until the description is clarified (and the photo updated), it could very well be you will either have to source the connector plug (and pay more in shipping than the plug costs) or de-solder the connector and re-solder the wires to attach the cables.

It seems unlikely that PINE64 would require the end user to solder on their own connector. That way trouble lies. They will want to make it as easy to use as possible, not have people flooding the forums asking how to connect up the RTC.
Holy crap.
Will it have the damn connectors or not?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Lithium battery temperature readout? GregH 0 1,849 03-12-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: GregH
  Lithium 3.7 Volt Battery Ron Piggott 49 65,535 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Battery level measurement? HugoRabson 2 4,151 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Travelling with the Pine64 (and Lipo battery) psychedup 2 4,493 02-17-2017, 08:18 PM
  CR2032 Battery holder - sanity check xalius 23 26,013 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DonFL
  Battery temp pin? SvdSinner 1 3,773 12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  battery power in android UnixOutlaw 40 50,821 09-25-2016, 07:54 PM
  RTC Backup Battery - CR sbentjies 6 9,200 07-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Last Post: jwouellette
  Battery Datasheet xalius 0 2,434 06-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Lithium 'salt and battery UnixOutlaw 0 2,332 05-29-2016, 09:32 PM