Linux distributions on PINE64 ?
I agree with the analogy there SkairkrohBule.

I am passionate about this board working out but I think the community at large needs more feedback and info from the actual PINE64 team. Also no offence intended, but PINE should have it's own core repository and team helping out and not relying on we the people to do it all for them.

If they say Ubuntu/Linux will work then please...lead by example and prove it to us!
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
(02-13-2016, 03:37 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Joe has a lot of enthusiasm, and that's great. 

People like Lenny have a lot of knowledge, and that is also great. 

This is a bit like a football fan talking to a football analyst. A fan loves football because he loves his team and loves to go and watch them play, whereas the analyst loves football because of being able to discern and explain the technical aspects and nuances that combine together to make football great.

We probably all love computing, that's why we backed a project like this. And we each have different views on this project.

Some clarity about where we're at from the Pine64 folks regarding Linux development and the state of play with AllWinner wouldn't go amiss.

of course ,

but i think give pine64 team time !
kickstarter first the end , many more can't been quickly to finish.
but some one quickly talk pine64 bad new , is not fair .
If the product use Six months , after to say pine64 bad new , i think is fair 

because they maybe will release new version linux or android
Can't Very quickly reach a conclusion pine64 bad new
(02-13-2016, 04:02 AM)joe Wrote: of course ,

but some one quickly talk pine64 bad new , is not fair .

Can't Very quickly reach a conclusion pine64 bad new
Thing is, a lot of people backed the pine to build a project on, without a proper distro to work on, most of these backers will move on. That will tarnish the pine64 brand and will not help adoption of the boards by real devs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
(02-13-2016, 06:59 AM)j.hoekstra Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 04:02 AM)joe Wrote: of course ,

but some one quickly talk pine64 bad new  , is not fair .

Can't Very quickly  reach a conclusion pine64 bad new
Thing is, a lot of people backed the pine to build a project on, without a proper distro to work on, most of these backers will move on. That will tarnish the pine64 brand and will not help adoption of the boards by real devs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Time will tell us the truth..........
When People get pine64 boards.........
I say is kickstarter buy the user.....
This is not you talk and me talk   !
maybe they will success  !

and do you see this link ?
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=260
by sam_nazarko

The End ..........
Epilogue Smile

Yes, the fault is with Allwinner and their closed approach. Time will tell if they change their tune and open up to the wider community a bit more. Ultimately, doing so would bring them great benefit, so it is a little hard to see why they would not want to do that.
(02-13-2016, 07:55 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Epilogue Smile

Yes, the fault is with Allwinner and their closed approach. Time will tell if they change their tune and open up to the wider community a bit more. Ultimately, doing so would bring them great benefit, so it is a little hard to see why they would not want to do that.

I worked on early versions of Linux on the A10  and A20. Allwinner was a lot worse then, refusing at first to even release sources at all. SoC users guides were confidential. Now we get tarballs and documentation.  Maybe at some point they'll install git and maintain a github fork of mainline.  Not holding my breath, though.
In summation the Pine64 can't do anything realistically at this moment but run Android and before it can be used for actual dev work (once fulll linux support is established) people will have moved onto to something else that perhaps delivers on it's claims of running Linux from the get go.

This is a recipe for disaster. If the Pine team is serious about making this product a contender in this market they need to hire a dev team to get the ball rolling in the linux department.

Let's think about this.
-They have $1 000 000+.
-No software dev team.
-No linux distro support.
-A SOC provider that is notorious for not providing support in the open source market.

How are people going to build projects based on this board if they don't have the OS to do it? For those saying things take time, well all I can say is I'm not waiting a year or two for them to fulfill their misleading promise of linux support.

Hats off to the marketing people you really duped the lot of us. For those out there who wish to back another sbc project do the research on choice of SOC and openness of source code. If it's AllWinner steer clear as they are nothing but Android friendly only Wink.
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
FROM Kicktaster help and term of use :

The date on each award is an estimate by the creator of the date on which it will send the reward , not the guarantee that it will keep its promises on that date. The time can evolve gradually as the creator working on the project . We ask the creators to think carefully and to set a date certain that they are able to honor and communicate any changes to the contributors.
(02-13-2016, 10:19 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: In summation the Pine64 can't do anything realistically at this moment but run Android and before it can be used for actual dev work (once fulll linux support is established) people will have moved onto to something else that perhaps delivers on it's claims of running Linux from the get go.

This is a recipe for disaster. If the Pine team is serious about making this product a contender in this market they need to hire a dev team to get the ball rolling in the linux department.

Let's think about this.
-They have $1 000 000+.
-No software dev team.
-No linux distro support.
-A SOC provider that is notorious for not providing support in the open source market.

How are people going to build projects based on this board if they don't have the OS to do it? For those saying things take time, well all I can say is I'm not waiting a year or two for them to fulfill their misleading promise of linux support.

Hats off to the marketing people you really duped the lot of us. For those out there who wish to back another sbc project do the research on choice of SOC and openness of source code. If it's AllWinner steer clear as they are nothing but Android friendly only Wink.

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit here.  The KS boards haven't even shipped yet.
Up until now we (well, a few bright people) could create an image for the Pine64 that would run the latest version of the Linux kernel (mainline Linux kernel).
That version of the Linux kernel is still in development, and does not yet have support for USB, Ethernet and MMC.
While it is possible to use that to create an image for your favorite Linux distribution, and it is not yet of much use due to the current luck of USB, Ethernet and MMC.
This is Linux kernel 4.4-git.

User longsleep managed to adapt the released Android Linux kernel source code (see the huge "BSP" package on wiki.pine64.org) so that it can also boot Linux distributions (rootfs).
Here is the post, http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293
This is Linux kernel 3.10.x

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,058 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,068 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Manjaro arm on pine64+ roel 2 5,778 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM
Last Post: roel
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,580 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,038 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Volumio for PINE64 Released mikelangeloz 11 24,128 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: llungster
  Gentoo Linux test image xalius 23 47,857 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: necrose99
  I2S Audio patches for Pine64+ uploaded to GitHub ramstadt 1 3,960 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: ramstadt
  Pine64: Minimal SDL config Max11 3 5,852 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Max11