Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence
I hope this is the right section of the board, I have an issue with the original kickstarter version of PineA64. I am trying to use Xenial Minimal Image by long sleep to run on my board.

The board was running fine for years now, since shortly after i got it, using the originally supplied Ubuntu image originally, trimmed down into a server style setup. However suddenly it stopped working, and when I plugged in a display, I see that it is hung during boot, with a huge dmesg log displayed and ending with " Press enter to go into maintainence, or Control + D to continue " the words may not be exactly correct.. Pressing enter drops me into a console, while control D continues the freeze. After trying a couple of things, I decided to do a clean flash.. I got the image mentioned earlier by longsleep and flashed it with balena Etcher onto the sd card (this was also purchased along with the board itself). After this it boots fine, and when I try to setup a few things and reboot it, it comes to this hung state again. I was very happy with this board as a Fileserver/NAS setup and i hope it is possible to figure this out, but my fear is it might be a hardware issue.. or perhaps it is a SD card issue. It would be good if I could verify one or the other. I have attached 2 dmesg logs, both after a clean flash -> reboot. Attempt 1 Attempt 2
(03-25-2019, 02:37 AM)ktaragorn Wrote: I hope this is the right section of the board, I have an issue with the original kickstarter version of PineA64. I am trying to use Xenial Minimal Image by long sleep to run on my board.

The board was running fine for years now, since shortly after i got it, using the originally supplied Ubuntu image originally, trimmed down into a server style setup. However suddenly it stopped working, and when I plugged in a display, I see that it is hung during boot, with a huge dmesg log displayed and ending with " Press enter to go into maintainence, or Control + D to continue " the words may not be exactly correct.. Pressing enter drops me into a console, while control D continues the freeze. After trying a couple of things, I decided to do a clean flash.. I got the image mentioned earlier by longsleep and flashed it with balena Etcher onto the sd card (this was also purchased along with the board itself). After this it boots fine, and when I try to setup a few things and reboot it, it comes to this hung state again. I was very happy with this board as a Fileserver/NAS setup and i hope it is possible to figure this out, but my fear is it might be a hardware issue.. or perhaps it is a SD card issue. It would be good if I could verify one or the other. I have attached 2 dmesg logs, both after a clean flash -> reboot. Attempt 1 Attempt 2

If it has been working fine for years, I would suspect the sdcard as well. The information in this link will help you diagnose:

https://help.endian.com/hc/en-us/article...is-corrupt

An alternative would be just to burn the image on a new sdcard. If it works with the new sdcard, then you know the old one is bad.
Will try, thanks. For now I am trying the openmediavault image, so far it seems stable, and consistently booting, so gonna try that for a while.
OMV worked well for a while, but soon after I started installing stuff on it, and rebooted it once, it hung again, in the exact same way. I ran badblocks, which said 0 bad blocks, and fsck, which was ambigious, but either way I was not able to get it to boot after that. I am starting to wonder if it is something I am installing that is triggering it, or if some particular hardware is busted and it is being triggered by something i install..
I discovered my issue. I have 2 disks mounting on boot via fstab, and one of them is a bit finicky. If it is not able to mount, the disk hangs waiting for it and stays there until the emergency prompt pops up. It isnt clear why this started all of a sudden, but anyway I was able to solve it by adding noauto to fstab on that device and mounting it in cron 5 seconds after boot. Works well enough for me and my board works as before.. I wish I didnt wipe my old OS though Big Grin.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine A64+ mainline mipi-dsi Learnincurve 3 6,396 01-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  DietPi OS for PINE A64 MichaIng 0 9,014 12-15-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: MichaIng
  Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pine A64+ Images wideawake 2 5,337 10-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: mathiraj
  LibreELEC(KODI) for Pine A64 (+) pineadmin 6 15,345 05-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: aaronmarsh632
  Lakka-nightlies for Pine A64 (and H64) roel 11 18,773 04-23-2020, 12:55 AM
Last Post: roel
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,050 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Read DHT22 on Pine A64 ayufan 3 6,420 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: {-DesT-}
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,450 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  Centos 7 for Pine A64 Luke 2 5,922 05-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 4,996 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin