Lithium 3.7 Volt Battery
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-4V-1700-mAh-...xy4fBTkAeG

is this battery ok for the pine a64 also would this fit on the connector
(06-08-2016, 02:24 PM)nath16 Wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-4V-1700-mAh-...xy4fBTkAeG

is this battery ok for the pine a64 also would this fit on the connector

This one will not work, needs 3.7v type LiPo battery.
Hello, I received my Pine today and am now looking for a suitable LiPO battery that fits the discharge and most importantly, charging specs of the board. Going over the schematics and the PM datasheet, I now have several questions. The battery switch/monitor/charger in the AXP803 has register-configurable and thus software controlled settings. The charge current limit can be set to anything between 200-2800mA and the cut-off voltage between 4.1 and 4.35V with several other additional parameters. Since selecting a battery without knowing the default settings the software selects for those registers is outright dangerous... are those registers controlled by a Linux driver for the PM or are the default register values still in place after booting up?
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(05-28-2016, 06:56 PM)tllim Wrote:
(05-28-2016, 03:54 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: I bought 4 x 3.7 v LiPO 2000Mh batteries - assuming they'd work on Pine64 (I bought them for CHIP originally - but hoped they'd be interchange-able)...  But connector is wrong.

It would be >NICE< if Pine could provide some part numbers for people OUTSIDE the USA to buy compatible batteries...

And I can't find any diagrams of which pins do what on the LiPO connector...  I'm assuming that the middle pin does nothing - or is GND ?

In general, any 3.7v Lipo battery will work. The first pin is positive, the third pin is ground, the info posted at Pine64 wiki page on the main board connector information. The middle pin is temp sensor for those battery that has temp sensor.

tllim - there are several things you promised in this thread which you are yet to deliver...

Also "In general, any 3.7v Lipo battery will work." is patently incorrect.

I've tried several different / assorted batteries on my Pine64+ 2GB boards - NONE of them will power Pine, neither in Linux or Android.

I've tried Sparkfun brand 2600 mAh batteries... I've tried 8000 mAh batteries (almost identical to the ones that Pine WERE selling - except on two power connectors - I wired in a 10K resistor as recommended on this forum) .. I've tried 3 pole cell-phone batteries connect to all three pins on Pine - as mentioned in a previous post in another thread - the best I've ever gotten is that sometimes there's enough battery juice there to stop Pine powering off if I close the lid on my Motorola Lapdock! (closing the lid "temporarily" stops power going through the OTG port - during closing - once closed - it resumes supplying power)...

If I try to power up Pine with ANY of the above assorted batteries - it will power up and the LED will flash for about 30-90 seconds (I didn't have stopwatch on me) then shut off again!

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK that INTERNATIONAL (I'm in Australia) users can log into and BUY an ACTUAL battery that WORKS with Pine64 "out of the box"?  With all the wires wired in and the correct connector on the end???

I still can't believe I'm fighting this losing battle with Pine!

NTC CHIP just does all this SH*T out of the box.

My Banana PI?  I did have to solder connectors onto the board so I could run a battery into it - but once acheived - it just WORKED!
(09-04-2016, 10:42 PM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK that INTERNATIONAL (I'm in Australia) users can log into and BUY an ACTUAL battery that WORKS with Pine64 "out of the box"?  With all the wires wired in and the correct connector on the end???

I don't have a link that will work out of the box, but I can report that I did buy this battery via eBay, and it powers my Pine64+ 1GB for between 8 & 12 hours without any problems, and the pine64 does charge it. On close inspection of the protection circuit at the top of the batter, it appeared that even though it did have two wires, it might actually support the temperature sensor. I attached a wire to the pad, and wired the battery up to a three lead JST connector. The pine64 didn't like that, so I then spliced the wires to add the 10K resistor between GND and the middle pin, and it has worked ever since. It clearly isn't anywhere near it's rated capacity, as the pine64 consuming around 400mah should have run for closer to 20 hours, but that was no surprise with Chinese ratings of batteries!

Is that of any interest to you?
(09-05-2016, 12:08 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 10:42 PM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK that INTERNATIONAL (I'm in Australia) users can log into and BUY an ACTUAL battery that WORKS with Pine64 "out of the box"?  With all the wires wired in and the correct connector on the end???

I don't have a link that will work out of the box, but I can report that I did buy this battery via eBay, and it powers my Pine64+ 1GB for between 8 & 12 hours without any problems, and the pine64 does charge it. On close inspection of the protection circuit at the top of the batter, it appeared that even though it did have two wires, it might actually support the temperature sensor. I attached a wire to the pad, and wired the battery up to a three lead JST connector. The pine64 didn't like that, so I then spliced the wires to add the 10K resistor between GND and the middle pin, and it has worked ever since. It clearly isn't anywhere near it's rated capacity, as the pine64 consuming around 400mah should have run for closer to 20 hours, but that was no surprise with Chinese ratings of batteries!

Thanks for quick response mate...  That looks like the EXACT same battery I bought...  I've wired one of them up for my NTC CHIP hosts - and I reckon I can get from 12-20 hours with CHIP on there - with the CHIP is was pretty much "plug and play"...

I've recently ordered some three wire PH3 plugs already wired - one of the things I'm having issues with it attaching connectors onto the batteries - I got the little lugs and strips of female "pins" - but I don't have a sophisticated enough crimping tool...   I will revisit this...

So - when I get my already wired connectors - I'll add a 10 K resistor onto the middle wire and hopefully I'll be sorted...
(09-05-2016, 01:59 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: With the CHIP is was pretty much "plug and play"...

I've recently ordered some three wire PH3 plugs already wired - one of the things I'm having issues with it attaching connectors onto the batteries - I got the little lugs and strips of female "pins" - but I don't have a sophisticated enough crimping tool...   I will revisit this...

Yeah, with the pine64 it was just a different design choice... boards like the chip, bananapi, etc, just expect the two battery wires... pine64 they also want the temperature of the battery, which to be honest, is the *safer* design, just not not the most accessible! Dodgy

lol... I actually do have a crimping tool for (actually, make that two... I also have a ratcheting one with 6 different jaws)... and they were really good at crimping the wires on the battery that well, that the JST crimps gillotined the wires... they were way to delicate. I'd recommend replacing the wires with some slightly better wires... some nice 24-22AWG wire should nice nicely... and fine-nosed pliers can be pretty good at crimping... you just fold one tab over at a time.

Good luck Wink
(09-05-2016, 01:59 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 12:08 AM)pfeerick Wrote:

Thanks for quick response mate...  That looks like the EXACT same battery I bought...  I've wired one of them up for my NTC CHIP hosts - and I reckon I can get from 12-20 hours with CHIP on there - with the CHIP is was pretty much "plug and play"...

So - when I get my already wired connectors - I'll add a 10 K resistor onto the middle wire and hopefully I'll be sorted...
Would you kindly post a picture of that connection, or at least a diagram? The last time i tried to connect a 3,7v battery I fried my Pine64 (30€ thrown away). Angry
(09-19-2016, 01:17 AM)Israeldelamo Wrote: Would you kindly post a picture of that connection, or at least a diagram? The last time i tried to connect a 3,7v battery I fried my Pine64 (30€ thrown away). Angry

The new schematics are on the wiki page.

... follow the schematic. Use three wire connector-- standard colors, red 3v7+, yellow thermistor, black negative ground. The lipo should be a standard 8000mah with 3v7 output, 4v2 charge, and three wire system with the yellow thermistor wire.  Using the standard connector there is no way to get it wrong.
Angel
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-19-2016, 01:17 AM)Israeldelamo Wrote: Would you kindly post a picture of that connection, or at least a diagram? The last time i tried to connect a 3,7v battery I fried my Pine64 (30€ thrown away). Angry

Sorry for the delay... have been fighting with bluetooth all afternoon! Wink

I'm presuming this is the sort of pic you wanted? If you look at the markings on the board, they match the order of the wires... + (positive) is the red one on the left, and - (negative) is the one on the right. The middle one (yellow) is the thermistor, or a 10k resistor connected to GND if you have a battery without a thermistor.

If you wish to use the connections on the euler bus (as they are a more practical 2.54mm header connector), you can connect to these pins. Just be warned, just like with the battery conector, you can't put this backwards without releasing the magic blue smoke! Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Lithium battery temperature readout? GregH 0 1,849 03-12-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: GregH
  Battery level measurement? HugoRabson 2 4,151 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Travelling with the Pine64 (and Lipo battery) psychedup 2 4,492 02-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Last Post: tllim
  CR2032 Battery holder - sanity check xalius 23 26,010 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DonFL
  Battery temp pin? SvdSinner 1 3,771 12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  battery power in android UnixOutlaw 40 50,817 09-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Last Post: tllim
  RTC Backup Battery - CR sbentjies 6 9,199 07-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Last Post: jwouellette
  Battery Datasheet xalius 0 2,433 06-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Lithium 'salt and battery UnixOutlaw 0 2,332 05-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Last Post: UnixOutlaw
  Minor note about the RTC battery MichaelMeissner 12 17,616 02-18-2016, 05:17 AM
Last Post: German