PINE64 total of have which linux ?

1. Ubuntu
2. Debian
3. Archlinux
4. Centos
5. Fedora
6. Other ......

Thank !
Pine 64 could have all of the above if the community makes it a reality. I know Ubuntu(which is Debian) is in the works.
(02-10-2016, 08:48 AM)joe Wrote: Hi , 

PINE64 total of have which linux  ?

1. Ubuntu
2. Debian
3. Archlinux
4. Centos
5. Fedora
6. Other ......

Thank !

You may see 1 and 2 first. Others may comes by. Actually there will be more than the above list.
(02-10-2016, 10:16 AM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote: Pine 64 could have all of the above if the community makes it a reality. I know Ubuntu(which is Debian) is in the works.

Thank !    Shy

(02-10-2016, 07:07 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 08:48 AM)joe Wrote: Hi , 

PINE64 total of have which linux  ?

1. Ubuntu
2. Debian
3. Archlinux
4. Centos
5. Fedora
6. Other ......

Thank !

You may see 1 and 2 first. Others may comes by. Actually there will be more than the above list.

Thank !    Smile
(02-10-2016, 10:16 AM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote: Pine 64 could have all of the above if the community makes it a reality. I know Ubuntu(which is Debian) is in the works.

Do you have a link to this so that we can follow the development and will it be supported through Canonical?

I'd like to buy the Pine64 but only after it is confirmed that Ubuntu will work?  There has been some discussion that it may not be supported and that is a bit of a concern.

Thank you
I am a bit disappointed at the fact that this project advertised Ubuntu linux support, but in reality they are expecting community members to get it done. Perhaps the Raspberry Pi is the better option if you want full linux desktop support.

I am not one to shy away from getting hands on with linux builds but perhaps it would have been better for the Pine Team to not blatantly mislead the supporters of this project with that UBUNTU logo on the kickstarter page.

I think I may be withdrawing support too cause at the end of the day I can purchase a fully operational Android box with all the trimmings for less than $40 bucks and it comes with case and remote. What I wanted here was a linux ready & compliant board, not a promise that may never happen.

quoted from the kicstarter campaign

"Because PINE A64 is an open source platform, you can load anything you want but we suggest to pair PINE A64 with Ubuntu, Android or openHAB IoT. By aligning the PINE A64 to be compatible with these operating systems, you basically get access to over 1.7 Million apps* on the market today, from utilities, games, and media apps.
*Android Apps available today"

Clearly you cannot pair it with Ubuntu as nothing but a headless has been built (not even thoroughly tested).

The question becomes when will the Official Pine64 version of Ubuntu be ready and I am not talking about some community generated version from various sources, I mean a Pine64 Team build that is officially supported?

I think it's only fair to ask at this stage as I am sure there are users out there who would like to know. Remember Pine64 team you advertised it during the campaign and nothing was ever mentioned that we, the community, had to figure out how to build/compile it ourselves Wink.
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
(02-11-2016, 03:53 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: I am a bit disappointed at the fact that this project advertised Ubuntu linux support, but in reality they are expecting community members to get it done. Perhaps the Raspberry Pi is the better option if you want full linux desktop support.

I am not one to shy away from getting hands on with linux builds but perhaps it would have been better for the Pine Team to not blatantly mislead the supporters of this project with that UBUNTU logo on the kickstarter page.

I think I may be withdrawing support too cause at the end of the day I can purchase a fully operational Android box with all the trimmings for less than $40 bucks and it comes with case and remote. What I wanted here was a linux ready & compliant board, not a promise that may never happen.

quoted from the kicstarter campaign

"Because PINE A64 is an open source platform, you can load anything you want but we suggest to pair PINE A64 with Ubuntu, Android or openHAB IoT. By aligning the PINE A64 to be compatible with these operating systems, you basically get access to over 1.7 Million apps* on the market today, from utilities, games, and media apps.
*Android Apps available today"

Clearly you cannot pair it with Ubuntu as nothing but a headless has been built (not even thoroughly tested).

The question becomes when will the Official Pine64 version of Ubuntu be ready and I am not talking about some community generated version from various sources, I mean a Pine64 Team build that is officially supported?

I think it's only fair to ask at this stage as I am sure there are users out there who would like to know. Remember Pine64 team you advertised it during the campaign and nothing was ever mentioned that we, the community, had to figure out how to build/compile it ourselves Wink.

You come out as a concern troll. You copy-pasted the same text in another thread. 

The "full linux desktop support" for the RPi  2 is still work in progress. A developer was working for more than a year for it. The RPi Foundation has been in business for over three years already. 

"Official Pine64 version of Ubuntu"? That is wording for closed-source software. Microsoft has "official" support for the RPi.
At https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/s...get-snaps/ there are Ubuntu Core images for a list of developer boards.
Those images where created by third-parties and it is fine to be created by others.
first off taros

I am quite the active member in the development community (open source). What I am critiquing here is the fact that the "Ubuntu" support as implied on the campaign is only true to a certain degree. It's not like there was a prebuilt image (alpha/beta/stable) ready from day 1. It was through those in the community that a port (headless thus far) came to life (Thanks Apritzel & umiddelb you guys rock).

What I meant by an "Official Pine64" version was more along the lines of something they had already in the works that others can collaborate on or at the very least bare minimum image to work from.

Furthermore do you see the Pine64 listed here at all https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/s...get-snaps/ ?

For those who want to run an OpenHab server they are gonna have to wait until some headway is made with the Linux side of things (last I remember OpenHab server doesn't run on Android, but I could be mistaken who knows).

I understand things take time but from what was gathered from the campaign was a board that had something other than Android ready to go. There are users posting and asking when will Ubuntu be ready and if there will be 3d Acceleration available (something I myself am wondering if Pine can pull off when others using Mali couldn't).

It may have been a better idea, IMHO, to have mentioned planned support (the words coming soon or in the works would have sufficed).

As of right now the Pine is another Android device (a powerful one at this price point). If you are looking for a media player I would say its perfect, but if you are looking to develop on it you will have to wait until a stable linux image comes around before diving in. If you are lucky and know what to do in terms of building and compiling your own custom distro to run on this board then go for it.

I am more than sure you are aware that not everyone knows how to compile a kernel or what make is Wink.

taros nothing would make me happier than to see the Pine64 become a great success, but it would have been great if Ubuntu (or any distro) was ready to go (atleast at a minimum capacity say base headless image) from the time the Pine team started shipping boards out.

A Timeline on an Ubuntu port would be greatful at this point by most in the community I'm sure.

As for myself I have no problem doing things the source way, but wouldn't mind having a repo of binaries ready to use either.

Perhaps by the time I get my board most of what I have talked about will be irrelevant and we will have a distro running on the device (and if we are lucky enough 3d acceleration too under linux) Big Grin

Cheers Big Grin
Definitely the Linux part of the project could perhaps have been better handled. There are disgruntled rumblings on the kickstarter comments asking where the promised Ubuntu release is, saying that they had backed the project on the strength of the Ubuntu support.

All that can be hoped now is that the Linux community can really pull off something special and turn the situation around. We should be massively grateful to all and any who put their own time into making Linux on the Pine possible. I would be one of those many people who would struggle to compile a kernel and who balks at having to use the make command.
Wish I had done my research a bit more regarding AllWinner and Pine as a whole.

:S

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic...-computer/

Good luck to Linux development folks I'm out of here!!!

Cheers Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,057 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,067 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Manjaro arm on pine64+ roel 2 5,778 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM
Last Post: roel
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,578 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,037 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Volumio for PINE64 Released mikelangeloz 11 24,128 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: llungster
  Gentoo Linux test image xalius 23 47,857 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: necrose99
  I2S Audio patches for Pine64+ uploaded to GitHub ramstadt 1 3,960 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: ramstadt
  Pine64: Minimal SDL config Max11 3 5,852 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Max11