Ethernet Slow Download
(08-06-2016, 11:55 AM)cdslashetc Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 09:27 AM)nSkaarup Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 12:26 PM)xalius Wrote: (please use proper cables....).

Kinda regret not thinking about this before, Went from 8Mbit upload on the pine64+ 2gb to 800Mbit by using a different cable Smile thanks!

got 800/800Mbit now, but fluctuates slightly between 550-900, but is mostly around 750-850Mbit Smile
I tried a mix of CAT6, CAT5e and CAT5 from 1m to 5m and CAT5e crossover to a laptop.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yep. I tried different cables, different switches in the environment... Nothing helped. Issue remains.
Please try setting the speed to 100 mb/s

sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full

also, use cat6 cable.....
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-06-2016, 01:10 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Please try setting the speed to 100 mb/s

sudo ethtool  -s  eth0  speed  100  duplex  full

That's what most of us did at the very beginning to get *some* functionality out of this thing.

But I have a RaspberryPi I can use if I want fast ethernet.

I bought the PINE so I'd have gigabit speeds. I don't want to cripple it to make it work. 

Hope they fix this soon.
(08-06-2016, 04:40 PM)amc2012 Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 01:10 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Please try setting the speed to 100 mb/s

That's what most of us did at the very beginning to get *some* functionality out of this thing.
I bought the PINE so I'd have gigabit speeds. I don't want to cripple it to make it work. 
Hope they fix this soon.

I am not entirely sure what your post implies. 

... but I don't like the tone.  "They"  are some of us;  and  'they'  are working their butts off to iron out some of the kinks in this system.  It is not helpful to needle people with useless pedantic rhetoric. Either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem (you decide) because we could use help-- programming, testing, documentation, &c.   Most of the people working on this are volunteers, devoting their resources and energies (not to mention their intellectual prowess) to provide a good experience for everyone else. Encouragement is good, needling is bad.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-06-2016, 05:25 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Hope they fix this soon.

I am not entirely sure what your post implies. 

... but I don't like the tone.  "They"  are some of us;  and  'they'  are working their butts off to iron out some of the kinks in this system.  It is not helpful to needle people with useless pedantic rhetoric. Either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem (you decide) because we could use help-- programming, testing, documentation, &c.   Most of the people working on this are volunteers, devoting their resources and energies (not to mention their intellectual prowess) to provide a good experience for everyone else. Encouragement is good, needling is bad.

Whoa there, brah. Calm down. Perhaps you missed all the earlier posts where I tested different switches, different cables, posted my results with testing the different tx-delay and rx-delay parameters and generally tried to be helpful to anyone trying to work on the issue. I've been active in just about every thread involving this issue. I have also offered in just about every thread to do testing on this and offer logs, whatever is needed, and have posted my results when doing so. I even posted my router and switch models, hoping we could all come to some conclusion.

So if I'm a little snappy because someone re-posted as a solution the only *workaround* that's worked for us, I apologize. It's not a solution and I wanted to make sure no one else thought it was such. That's all. I am still willing to do any testing and provide feedback on any proposed *solutions* to the issue.
(08-06-2016, 05:46 PM)amc2012 Wrote:
It's not a solution and I wanted to make sure no one else thought it was such. That's all. I am still willing to do any testing and provide feedback on any proposed *solutions* to the issue.

Its not only a solution-- its the ONLY solution at this point in time.  My entire network is 10/100.  10/100 is not crippled -- its fully functional and is of much preferred to 'down'.

I want to make sure everyone knows that this solution is the ONLY solution at the moment... use it or don't use it,   the point is that there isn't going to be a simple fix to this problem, and if you want to be connected via ethernet with the PineA64 use a quality cable and set the speed down to 100...  its that simple.  YMMV

That said,  some folks are experimenting with timings.  They are not having much success.   Also, not all boards are having this issue. It may be related to parts issue at one point in the manufacturing process (some parts came from a different source for a time).
marcushh777    Cool

(08-06-2016, 07:20 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 05:46 PM)amc2012 Wrote:
It's not a solution and I wanted to make sure no one else thought it was such. That's all. I am still willing to do any testing and provide feedback on any proposed *solutions* to the issue.

Its not only a solution-- its the ONLY solution at this point in time.  My entire network is 10/100.  10/100 is not crippled -- its fully functional and is of much preferred to 'down'.

-- snip --

That said,  some folks are experimenting with timings.  They are not having much success.   Also, not all boards are having this issue. It may be related to parts issue at one point in the manufacturing process (some parts came from a different source for a time).

I hear you, but I do video and audio editing, so I have had a gigabit network for a very long time now. The PINE is my only remaining wired device that doesn't do gigabit, with the exception of my security camera DVR. The entire reason I bought the PINE was because it had a gigabit interface. 

I have followed the threads on timings pretty closely. I tried some of the suggestions and I think it's safe to say that those parameters are best used for fine tuning other network issues. They do not affect what you correctly state has to be a hardware issue. I saw the post about how a specific chip was sourced from another location to try to get the orders out, but I also saw the one where someone was able to identify they had two boards with the SAME sourced chip and one worked and the other didn't. 

It seems this may be a manufacturing issue at this point that's triggered by something in the environment. Someone else sent in their board to longsleep and it worked fine in that environment. So it certainly looks like right now the issue is manufacturing+environment. I'm not hopeful for a solution at this point. I hope at some point that PINE agrees to replace the faulty boards. I've been using tech for decades now and have never encountered an issue like this. Usually it's clearly hardware or clearly environment. This strange mix is just bizarre.
The only FREE solution. I bought V.TOP gigabit USB adapter for $13.99.

Backer #17,640
(08-06-2016, 08:05 PM)cdslashetc Wrote: The only FREE solution. I bought V.TOP gigabit USB adapter for $13.99.

Bought and free is a bit weird... 
And usb2 tops out at 480mbits.... That and probably some overhead and a lot of usb jitter. 

Lets not waste time on discussions about usb adapters or 100mbit.... 
This just needs to get solved,... 
... My hope atm is on the 'master' phy thing... 
... Otherwise it might be time to accept a HW issue... 

Ps also check olimex's try at an a64 board,  they delayed theirs because of issues with GbE and the realtek phy
(08-06-2016, 08:23 PM)waldo Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 08:05 PM)cdslashetc Wrote: The only FREE solution. I bought V.TOP gigabit USB adapter for $13.99.

Bought and free is a bit weird... 
And usb2 tops out at 480mbits.... That and probably some overhead and a lot of usb jitter. 

Lets not waste time on discussions about usb adapters or 100mbit.... 
This just needs to get solved,... 
... My hope atm is on the 'master' phy thing... 
... Otherwise it might be time to accept a HW issue... 

Ps also check olimex's try at an a64 board,  they delayed theirs because of issues with GbE and the realtek phy

Amen, waldo.

I really do apologize for being snippy, but this is exactly the case - those who have the faulty boards already are either using Gig USB to get at least a small boost, or are using the workaround of ethtool to fast ethernet speeds. 

My patience with this issue just wore thin today.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethernet port down afert 1 day jeda 0 597 11-12-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: jeda
  Ethernet --> Causing boot loop podtofs 3 5,224 05-16-2017, 03:41 AM
Last Post: m17
  GbE Ethernet Port Issue Data Gathering Statistics Intel MarkHaysHarris777 19 24,173 01-17-2017, 01:17 AM
Last Post: DrunkTank
  What will it take to get the Ethernet port working? clarkss12 10 16,093 10-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Last Post: waldo
  Pine64+ 1GB Ethernet Port spec ecotack 13 15,454 08-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  If you have had difficulty with the GbE ethernet please take the poll MarkHaysHarris777 0 2,344 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Ethernet works on Arch Linux. Nothing elese pfunk237 4 6,012 07-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: SuperArmySoldiers