DOA Board? "UNSUPPORTED VIDEO"
(06-19-2016, 03:07 PM)phloog Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 02:17 PM)xalius Wrote: Can you post some more specifics of your setup? Link the image you wrote to the card and with what tool you did. What power supply are you using, is your HDMI display HDCP capable and can do 1080P?

Sure - and thanks, Xalius

I will state right off the bat that I can't help you much with the question "the image you wrote to the card" because I have used MULTIPLE tools to try MULTIPLE images.

The power supply that I am using was ordered with the unit from Pine64...let me just say right now that if using the Pine64-supplied power supply is causing a problem with the Pine64 board here I'm probably done here Smile ... <snip>

EDIT:  And yes, I have tried multiple displays including my Sharp Aquos that handles HDMI@1080....Not sure if this helps, but when the Pine is connected to one of the HDMI ports, the television seems to indicate that there IS something there, and it displays HDMI: 1080p ...but nothing ever shows

Please forgive me, but I don't believe you... I'm not calling you a liar, I just don't believe your story (I'm not that gullible).

If you can't answer xalius' question with specifics then you are not credible. To state you you used multiple tools and multiple images is bogus. Which specific tool did you use, with what command did you try to write the image file to the SD card, (on what OS machine) and so on... your story is not credible, and your attitude is suspect.

I am dissappointed with the Pine64 bashing going on here on this forum; its innappropriate and its not helpful. 

We are not talking about a finished product here... we are talking about a super computer on an index card !  ... a computer board minus OS, display, I|O, and power... you YOU (yourself) have to be willing to work with it, and be willing to work with the community. I am noticing a lot of bashing going on, but not a whole lot of 'can do' attitude and willingness to work with the community. 

Unless you ESD shocked your board (ripping it out of its static package) its fine.  I don't believe its DOA, and from what I can tell its probably more an issue of knowing what you're doing (and it doesn't seem like you do). 

1) what image did you use?
2) what OS did you use to burn the image to SD?
3) what command (specifically) did you use to create the SD?
4) What SD card did you select?
5) what is the output from your diagnostic header?
6) Specifically what brand and model of hdmi display did you plug into?
7) what is the specific rating of your PSU?

marcus
(06-19-2016, 06:52 PM)phloog Wrote: Okay...after 35 minutes gave up on that boot of Android...I took the SD card and completely reimaged it with Android....same thing - -  35 minutes of splash screen and I gave up.

Went to Try 2 since Android was a failure

ReMix OS DID boot, and I was able to move around and such...I guess I'm going to stick with that for now, BUT the edges of the screen extend past my television - -not sure if that's my Pine or my TV.

Off to look for info on adjusting screen in Pine/Remix -- Have I heard right that there is no scrap edge on Remix yet?

JT

Please see this thread. It references Android, but applies equally to RemixOS. Ignore the Method 2 part.
(06-19-2016, 08:22 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 03:07 PM)phloog Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 02:17 PM)xalius Wrote: Can you post some more specifics of your setup? Link the image you wrote to the card and with what tool you did. What power supply are you using, is your HDMI display HDCP capable and can do 1080P?

Sure - and thanks, Xalius

EDIT:  And yes, I have tried multiple displays including my Sharp Aquos that handles HDMI@1080....Not sure if this helps, but when the Pine is connected to one of the HDMI ports, the television seems to indicate that there IS something there, and it displays HDMI: 1080p ...but nothing ever shows

Please forgive me, but I don't believe you... I'm not calling you a liar, I just don't believe your story (I'm not that gullible).

(SNIP)

I am dissappointed with the Pine64 bashing going on here on this forum; its innappropriate and its not helpful. 

(SNIP)

Unless you ESD shocked your board (ripping it out of its static package) its fine.  I don't believe its DOA, and from what I can tell its probably more an issue of knowing what you're doing (and it doesn't seem like you do). 

(SNIP)

marcus

So one nice guy from this forum steps up to help me, and we seem to meet with (admittedly limited) success...

....and then you arrive.

"I don't believe you... I'm not calling you a liar, I just don't believe your story (I'm not that gullible)."   

I want to make sure I understand:  you're NOT calling me a liar - you just don't believe what I said because you're not GULLIBLE.  Again, perhaps English isn't your first language (I legitimately don't know), but I think the rest of your sentence doesn't really back up your assertion that you aren't calling me a liar.  Gullible CAN be used lots of ways, but it's disingenuous to make your claim in the context of your full statement/post.

Just to make sure I understand, and I'll admit that I'm assuming based on the limited data I have...are you the dude I often see on corporate web sites - who has named himself Lone Defender of a company that is perfectly capable of defending itself, and you pour over these forum posts stepping in to accuse anyone who isn't as tickled with the product as you are of being 1) a Liar, or 2) a Terrible Person, or 3) Just Not Good Enough for the Product...is that it?

I'm not saying you're that person, of course, I'm just saying you're acting and typing and sounding like that person. So no offense...

The people on here who aren't just dancing around and shouting the glories of Pine64 WANTED it to succeed - most STILL want it to succeed...that's why they backed it. 

Should they instead have just smiled and told Pine64 that people are okay with non-delivery, quality issues, weak support,.....?   How much would that have helped the company once they tried to move outside the world of crowdfunding?

I will fully admit that 'bashing' is not helpful...but how helpful is injecting yourself into multiple posts to act as Regional Sales Manager for Pine64?  Again I'll note that we had this nearly sussed already.

In fact, it LOOKS like you hopped in here AFTER another poster had gotten me to the point where some of your input is completely irrelevant. 

So in the future I'll just ignore your posts, and you can PLEASE ignore mine.

Yes, a moderator could ban me...and in fact a moderator could ban everyone who doesn't come in here delighted with the product..that would make for a very pleasant little club here, but would not do Pine64 any good, and would likely help it become a niche of a niche...I don't think that's what they want.  But sure, everyone who is dissatisfied could be silenced here, and forced to take their complaints to other social media...again, NOT good for Pine64.

I'll now return to the actually helpful bits of this thread.

(06-20-2016, 12:55 AM)Ghost Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 06:52 PM)phloog Wrote: ((QUOTESNIP))
JT

Please see this thread. It references Android, but applies equally to RemixOS. Ignore the Method 2 part.

Thanks again for all your help.  I will read (and ignore the bits you mentioned)
*in a robotic moderator-type voice*

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The purpose of this forum is to help each other.

The purpose of this thread is to talk about unsupported video issues.

Glad to have been able to help you, phloog.
i have the same problem except I received two pine 64, (pledged the $89.00 kick starter kit and ordered extra board) one boots up on android lcd using 16 gig sd card with the 8 gig image swap the card and lcd panel it doesn't boot switch back to the first board an it boots perfect. I also received the 64 sd card in the kit which does not boot and when I read the card it says 28 gig available and no file available. Since one works great and I can not get the other to boot then the conclusion would be DOA, both boards are the same A64-DB-V1.1 2G
If you visually compare both boards carefully, do you see any missing components or other things on the non-functional board?
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Maybe check if the SD card contacts happen to be a little bit greasy and try to clean them? Sometimes dirt/dust in the SD card slot may cause unreliable boot problems. It may be worth checking just in case.
Thanks, great place to start I'll report back when I get a chance to look
(06-19-2016, 08:22 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Please forgive me, but I don't believe you... I'm not calling you a liar, I just don't believe your story (I'm not that gullible).

If you can't answer xalius' question with specifics then you are not credible. To state you you used multiple tools and multiple images is bogus. Which specific tool did you use, with what command did you try to write the image file to the SD card, (on what OS machine) and so on... your story is not credible, and your attitude is suspect.

<truncated quote>

1) First of all, hello. My Pine64's (x3; 2GB wifi/BT models) arrived yesterday!

2) MarkHaysHarris777, I will be specific in my expositions but please do not respond in the same nature your above quoted text; it is quite, to say professionally, unproductive.

3) I have tested x2 Pine64's to no avail
          a) Pine 64 2GB, wifi/BT module not installed
          b) No other peripherals connected (ie. keyboard or wired network)
          c) Used generic (fully tested) 8GB microSD cards, as well as 16GB ADATA microSD cards
          d) Used supplied power supplies, as well as 2.1amp USB outlet based adapters (Targus & Philips; reputable quality that work perfectly with higher amperage requiring devices such as tablets and other SoC's).
          e) Tested on LG 49UB8200 and LG 65UB9300 (both are 4K units); Also tried Onkyo TX-NR636 to pass HDMI through to 65UB9300.
          f) Also tested on HDMI capture card (1080p resolution limit).
          g) Used PhoenixCard 3.1.0 for phoenix based images, and Rufus and imageUSB for DD images (images from http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release and use of PhoenixCard and Rufus based upon http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1146)
          h) each time allowed 5-10 minutes to elapse once plugged in - only red LED was on with no other feedback from Pine64 nor televisions/receiver
          i) good quality HDMI cables with no previous issues with 3D use.
          j) I handled the Pine64's appropriately
          k) files were MD5 checked
          l) used 2 different Win7Pro units for writing of images to microSD cards
          m) Tested the following images: android-rooted-ver5.1.1-20160505-pine64-8GB, remix-v2.0-20160415-pine64-16GB, Pinea64_android_lollipop_db1000_20160216, debian-mate-jessie-20160501-lenny.raposo-longsleep-pine64-8GB, remix-v2.0-20160415-pine64-8GB, pine64-image-debianmate-310101bsp

This is not my first endeavor, as I have multiple Raspberry Pi units as well other computers, servers, and an advanced network in use.
After all these attempts the devices have failed to work.

I cannot think of any further testing that I can perform. The only other monitors that I have access to do not have HDMI inputs.

Input would be appreciated.

Going to start a new thread regarding my issues.

Just tried the OpenHAB microSD OS and nothing either.

(knew that OpenHAB was headless but didn't know that it had HDMI console output)
[quote pid='12832' dateline='1466364406']
Dear Support,

Just another update. After downloading and attempting another SD image, but not wanting to drag all hardware back downstairs to where I was working, I plugged my board into my 46" Toshiba TV (1080P HDMI) and I had video. For whatever reason, the Pine64 did not like my Spectre DVI Monitor with its HDMI adapter that I had been using with every other SBC that I had tried..RPi, BPi, PcDuino, etc. I am presently continuing to update and build up my Ubuntu xenial....with the MATE desktop....this maybe a resolution for many users who complained about dead Pine's or no video....I am presently performing the build up with a HP 2311gt LED 3D Monitor that has full 1080P @60hZ.

James Martel
Dear Support,

Just another update. After downloading and attempting another SD image, but not wanting to drag all hardware back downstairs to where I was working, I plugged my board into my 46" Toshiba TV (1080P HDMI) and I had video. For whatever reason, the Pine64 did not like my Spectre DVI Monitor with its HDMI adapter that I had been using with every other SBC that I had tried..RPi, BPi, PcDuino, etc. I am presently continuing to update and build up my Ubuntu xenial....with the MATE desktop....this maybe a resolution for many users who complained about dead Pine's or no video....I am presently performing the build up with a HP 2311gt LED 3D Monitor that has full 1080P @60hZ.
  My REWARD was the Pine64+ with 2gb and OpenHab... I also felt it was bad....apparently it is a headless build but no details about what to expect and how to SSH into a system without a serial cable and NO IDEA what its IP address is.....

James Martel
[/quote]

Why is it such a hassle to return a dead board....too much frustration...if the RMA and subsequent test yields a good board...return it to user...simple....if it boots at factory...it must be users display/setup. I was frustrated with "a headless build" because I did not "see" anything but....network activity lights on the board are an indication that the SD card and image are working. I troubleshot my "suspect" DOA....even power on without anything connected/installed to observe changes...My monitor "unknowing" to me being a DVI Spectre with a HDMI adapter is UNSUPPORTED CONFIGURATION....make that known!!!!! 72 frustrating hours of T-shooting...only to find out it was a "technician troubleshooting 101"error

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOQUARTZ Compute module W does not fit Raspberry Pi CM4 dev board ihab 0 1,484 10-06-2022, 08:46 PM
Last Post: ihab
  Video conferencing aproject oxoocoffee 1 2,988 03-31-2020, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Install OS on RAID1 thanks to dual SATA board? Thatoo 12 15,167 05-15-2019, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Thatoo
  My first Single Board! jjh221 4 6,622 04-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jjh221
  sopine cluster board install Smurfbot 1 4,316 03-31-2018, 04:09 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  What is the format that one should use for imaging SD cards on APINE64+2GB Board? Doryan 1 3,453 03-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Which board to use? Dayve 0 2,246 02-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Dayve
  Kodi on Rock64 board cenguix 2 8,757 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
  What are these pins on PIN board? dims 1 3,192 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Luke
  red led + cat5 lights but noshow on DHCP list, no video mckenna.tim 1 3,757 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Luke