Most stable Pinephone OS
Is there any OS that is actually working and stable? I am going down the list installing every OS but there's always a problem to be found, some more than others but none of them work enough to make the device live up to it's name - the Pine "Phone".

If anyone has had any luck with an OS please let me know. I have installed more than half the available OS's and am on the precipice of giving up.

Thanks.
Mobian is quite stable in my experience, mind that it requires Tow-Boot on the regular PinePhone however. Which issues are you experiencing? Maybe it's smarter to ask about these issues specifically, as some are more related with other factors (such as the modem firmware).
Arch Linux Phosh is a good choice. Most things work and modem and sound reasonably well.
That stated I still use a Blackberry for calls (important).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
(11-28-2022, 11:50 AM)karcdaeh Wrote: Is there any OS that is actually working and stable? I am going down the list installing every OS but there's always a problem to be found, some more than others but none of them work enough to make the device live up to it's name - the Pine "Phone".

If anyone has had any luck with an OS please let me know. I have installed more than half the available OS's and am on the precipice of giving up.

Thanks.

Arch Linux with Phosh - @Danct12 does a great job!

Everything works: SMS, MMS, Camera, GPS, calling, contacts, calendar, g00gle email, synchthing... 

I have not tried any other OS. I have used Arch for many years on my desktop and laptop.
(11-28-2022, 02:59 PM)fxc Wrote: Mobian is quite stable in my experience, mind that it requires Tow-Boot on the regular PinePhone however. Which issues are you experiencing? Maybe it's smarter to ask about these issues specifically, as some are more related with other factors (such as the modem firmware).

The biggest issue is not being able to use the phone. I've tried the recommended providers and have had no luck. Another annoyance is that the side power button does not turn on the phone or wake it from sleep.. The only way I can get the display back on is to plug it into a usb port and then remove it. Volume buttons also do not work.

At this point I was planning on just insalling organic maps and using it as a gps for my bike but the power button doesn't work, There are other issues, but not show stoppers. Although after the last manjaro update i was unable to bring up a terminal. It would launch and then crash after a few seconds.
(11-28-2022, 05:19 PM)Chief Wrote: Arch Linux Phosh is a good choice. Most things work and modem and sound reasonably well.
That stated I still use a Blackberry for calls (important).

I didn't try arch because it's relatively close to manjaro and i've had many problems the manjaro OS. That said,  manjaro does not equal arch so i will give it a try. I  use arch as my main OS on my desktop server. 

Fingers crossed. Unfortunately I moved to colombia recently and i don't think there is a recommended provider to use here with the pinephone. There are only two main providers here though and i have sim cards for both in my two burner phones.
(11-29-2022, 08:53 AM)mikehenson Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 11:50 AM)karcdaeh Wrote: Is there any OS that is actually working and stable? I am going down the list installing every OS but there's always a problem to be found, some more than others but none of them work enough to make the device live up to it's name - the Pine "Phone".

Thanks.

Arch Linux with Phosh - @Danct12 does a great job!

Everything works: SMS, MMS, Camera, GPS, calling, contacts, calendar, g00gle email, synchthing... 

I have not tried any other OS. I have used Arch for many years on my desktop and laptop.

OK cool. So two positive reviews for arch. I am very familiar with it since i also use it for my desktop. Thanks.
Arch with Phosh does look good. Today I installed Arch to an SD card to test out and it seems to work really well. The only issue I noticed was Megapixels crashing, but that's Megapixels for you. I do have Mobian on the eMMC and overall that's been very good as well but there have been some issues with recent updates, so this is an alternative to boot up on when needed.
can you boot debian with the arch sd card inside ?

ezik
Another vote for Mobian, been using it for more than a year.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,079 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,478 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,665 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma