Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier
Currently, I'm on the Speakout phone plan. I'm using my 10-12 year old Samsung phone, and it works fine, but I've wanted a tinker phone with pure Linux for several years.

I'm interested in going down the rabbit hole to try my SIM card on a Pine Phone Beta Edition. I'd like to know if anyone has used the Speakout carrier on the Pine Phone and what experience they've had with it.

Are all carriers generally the same in terms of call reliability?
(07-21-2022, 01:28 PM)bedtime Wrote: Currently, I'm on the Speakout phone plan. I'm using my 10-12 year old Samsung phone, and it works fine, but I've wanted a tinker phone with pure Linux for several years.

I'm interested in going down the rabbit hole to try my SIM card on a Pine Phone Beta Edition. I'd like to know if anyone has used the Speakout carrier on the Pine Phone and what experience they've had with it.

Are all carriers generally the same in terms of call reliability?

Speakout uses Rogers infrastructure. I've used them on/off over the years and the reliability was fine. Like "rhymes-with-smell" cellular, they have dead areas too but not as bad as they used to be. Unless it's a big hassle, use cash in person and don't use the portal. I started receiving spam calls and SMS from all over after I did that - it's the reason I left.
Quote:Speakout uses Rogers infrastructure. I've used them on/off over the years and the reliability was fine. Like "rhymes-with-smell" cellular, they have dead areas too but not as bad as they used to be. Unless it's a big hassle, use cash in person and don't use the portal. I started receiving spam calls and SMS from all over after I did that - it's the reason I left.

I've been using the Speakout plan for a while now, but I've just received my phone yesterday.

Could you tell me what you mean about cash in person and portal? What is portal?

Thanks
(08-16-2022, 07:51 PM)bedtime Wrote:
Quote:Speakout uses Rogers infrastructure. I've used them on/off over the years and the reliability was fine. Like "rhymes-with-smell" cellular, they have dead areas too but not as bad as they used to be. Unless it's a big hassle, use cash in person and don't use the portal. I started receiving spam calls and SMS from all over after I did that - it's the reason I left.

I've been using the Speakout plan for a while now, but I've just received my phone yesterday.

Could you tell me what you mean about cash in person and portal? What is portal?

Thanks

Ah - The cash in person refers to paying for the air time in cash, in person at a 7-11 or wherever you purchase your air time now. The portal is the website speakout uses to administer your speakout plan(s).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 945 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,751 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,307 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 794 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 995 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,422 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 644 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 657 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,031 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous