Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices
(04-11-2022, 07:34 PM)kmsgli Wrote: Just got my Pro in the mail. I installed towboot and suspend great  but when waking from suspend for a call no audio can be heard or transmitted.

Is this a known issue with towboot or is this an OS issue with suspend wake?

The pro seems very close to daily driver status and I cant wait to switch from my OG pinephone.

It is an OS issue: it used to be you got "Mickey Mouse" sound after resume - very fast. It may have evolved to silence (depending which distro you are using) but (unless I am very much mistaken) is still on the work in progress list.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(04-12-2022, 12:54 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 07:34 PM)kmsgli Wrote: Just got my Pro in the mail. I installed towboot and suspend great  but when waking from suspend for a call no audio can be heard or transmitted.

Is this a known issue with towboot or is this an OS issue with suspend wake?

The pro seems very close to daily driver status and I cant wait to switch from my OG pinephone.

It is an OS issue: it used to be you got "Mickey Mouse" sound after resume - very fast. It may have evolved to silence (depending which distro you are using) but (unless I am very much mistaken) is still on the work in progress list.

Thanks for the quick response!

Is everyone not able to use the Qi charging back cover on the pro also? I put a ticket into pine64 and they said the cpu draws more then the cover can produce but if that was the case should it not be charging and disconnecting in a loop?
Also tried on PinePhonePro Explorer Edition
with latest Tow-Boot 2021.10-004 spi.installer.img from github.

You need to hold the RE button very long (make sure its really pressed!).

However I am not able to flash the spi:

[Image: 163212781-f6680660-73a2-472c-b698-9843818ed17f.jpg]
(04-13-2022, 09:22 AM)magdesign Wrote: ...
However I am not able to flash the spi:

Can you clear/zero (whatever the other option is) the SPI? Seems like the installer cannot find your SPI - only other suggestion is to download/untar and write to another SDcard and try again.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(04-13-2022, 04:54 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Can you clear/zero (whatever the other option is) the SPI? Seems like the installer cannot find your SPI - only other suggestion is to download/untar and write to another SDcard and try again.

I finally solved it:

after the ~10th attempt I could flash Tow-Boot.
After dd the spi.installer.img to a 32GB SD card, I used GParted to rename the partitions to test and test1, also resized the 2nd partition so there is no empty space left on the card.

Not sure if it just takes a lot of attempts or if the things really helped.
I installed it on SPI and works very well with Manjaro Plasma both in eMMC and SD. I did no pay attention to suspend for the moment. I choose
Never in the three options but know I am going to choose 15 minutes for suspend and see what happens
Tow-boot finally fixed suspend for me on Mobian, and also allowed me to install it to the emmc.However I'm noticing pretty huge battery draw when suspended - maybe 50% in 8 hours. Are others experiencing this too?
Since the title of this thread is “...and other devices”, I thought I’d describe my experience using Tow-Boot on my OG PP BE and seek advice for resolving a rather frustrating issue.

First: before I started using Tow-Boot, I had successfully installed Megi’s most recent multiboot image to the eMMC and Mobian to the microSD card. I also used that Mobian install to expand the btrfs partition of the multiboot image to make maximum possible use of the eMMC and I was able to access the different distros and OSes on the eMMC. Booting the PP from the eMMC required first turning the phone off and removing the microSD card. Obviously not ideal from a UX perspective - or from the risk of losing the microSD card.

Second: since following the instructions for installing Tow-Boot to the eMMC’s boot sector, I have not succeeded in getting Tow-Boot to boot the multiboot image on the eMMC.

I know Tow-Boot works because I can get it to boot its blue LED “Jumpdrive” equivalent mode and access the eMMC from a PC as if it was a USB device by holding the Up volume button as Tow-Boot starts. I can also get Tow-Boot to boot Mobian from the aqua LED microSD card mode by holding the Down volume button as Tow-Boot starts.

IIUC, holding neither volume button as Tow-Boot starts is supposed to boot from an image installed on the eMMC. However, in my case, if I don’t touch either volume button as Tow-Boot starts the LED goes from red to yellow and
- either switches back to a red LED which flashes 10 times before the PP turns off (if there is no microSD installed)
- or if the microSD card is installed, Mobian is booted from the microSD card after a short wait on the yellow LED.

The only way I have found to boot the multiboot image from the eMMC is to flash the multiboot image to a spare microSD card as well and get Tow-Boot to boot from that by holding the Down volume button, which then takes me to the familiar multiboot menu Megi created - familiar, except for now every available distro/OS is displayed twice:
once beneath an entry for images installed on the microSD card and
once beneath an entry for images installed on the eMMC (i.e. the multiboot image I had previously flashed to the eMMC before ever using Tow-Boot). I checked that booting any of those distros/OSes worked, both from the microSD card entries and from the eMMC entries displayed, and they did. Changes I had made to those on the eMMC before ever using Tow-Boot remained in place.

I decided to reflash everything:
- Tow-Boot to a spare microSD card in order to wipe and then reflash the eMMC’s boot sector with it
- use “Jumpdrive” equivalent mode to wipe the non-boot partitions of the eMMC and then reflash them with a freshly downloaded image of Megi’s multiboot
- Mobian to the original microSD card that I had it on

I repeated the steps I had on the first attempt with Tow-Boot (as described above) but received the same result.

Mobian’s Troubleshooting guide mentions that the U-boot sector of existing images on the microSD needs to be removed, however it also states that their images from the 03rd of April 2022 won’t include such a sector as a result of their policy on moving to Tow-Boot. The first Mobian image I was using in my first Tow-Boot attempt was a 10th of April 2022 image and in my second attempt I used the most recent 17th of April 2022 image so neither of those should have needed me to remove a U-boot sector in order to prevent the microSD from always dominating the boot choices.

I’m inclined to think that this is further ruled out as the source of my problem by the fact that Tow-Boot won’t boot from the eMMC even when there is no microSD card inserted.

The multiboot image is definitely still present on the eMMC as I was able to verify with lsblk and apply the same expansion to the btrfs partition from Mobian as before I’d ever used Tow-Boot.

I would be grateful for anyone’s suggestions that fix this issue!
The multiboot image is built to use and take advantage of the features of megi's p-boot. It doesn't have the config file that tow-boot looks to for the kernel, initrd, boot args etc. so tow-boot doesn't find anything that it knows how to boot. Even if the partition layout is something tow-boot could read, and you translated the p-boot config for the boot options to the format tow-boot uses, I don't think you'd have a way to select which multi-boot option you wanted as tow-boot doesn't have a GUI on the pinephone. It's the wrong tool for the job - stick to p-boot for multiboot.
For what it is worth I thought I would share my experience installing Tow-Boot to the SPI flash on my PPP EE, and Mobian to the eMMC. I had been running Mobian from the SD card with the standard U-Boot. I followed the instructions for installing Tow-Boot as described here, and then flashed the latest Mobian image to the eMMC following both Method 3 (i.e., using dd) as described  here, and again using Method 1 (using a graphical flashing app) from my desktop computer. I was able to access Tow-Boot's "jump drive" mode by holding the volume up key at boot, and I could boot into the Mobian SD card holding the volume down key at boot, but when I tried to boot the eMMC install I had an endless loop of red light, phone vibrates, no light, followed by yellow light, phone vibrates, then the whole process would repeat endlessly with no successful boot from the eMMC.

The way I finally successfully installed Mobian to the eMMC was by booting to Mobian on the SD card and then following the instructions for flashing to the eMMC that are given in the Pine Phone Pro wiki page. All seems to be working fine now

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,672 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Connect external devices via USB martin@h4ck1ng.me 5 737 02-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: u-kidjp
Brick Recovery without Tow Boot b34ux 10 1,259 02-02-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: reky
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 820 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 950 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 688 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,702 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 19,271 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings MadameMalady 2 2,435 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  Cannot update new PinePhone Pro bent 6 3,447 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma