Pinephone 64 Issues of a new user US Notheast as of April 2022
Hello All,

First, feel free to slap me if there is an "open issues" sticky, or protocol to posting I was in too much rush to read.

Hopefully not the only new Pinephone 64 recipient in the US around the March/April 2022 time, and a new user, we all should have the same hardware/software. THus al have same/similar issue.

Seeking the non-tech folks like me clear-cut known solutions. The web is full of endless miles of "have you tried this" and "go edit this file" not helping much for non-tech folks and not sure of the date of those solutions. Hope someone can help the new non-tech folks like me. (lets move past the "if your non-tech why did you by a Pinephone, see my username LOL!)

Here is my current list of issues:

Issues -

Password Setup (SOLVED) - There is a hidden pin confirmation box off screen you cannot see, need to tab to it with an external keyboard and enter to move on (keyboard adapter need if you do not have one).

SIM Card (SOLVED) - After no luck with the NET10/Trackphone SIM, found that at least in the US Northeast the Simple Mobile SIM kit from Walmart ($10 USD) worked pretty much turn key (well almost).

Mobile Data - Mobile Data not working sometimes. Simple Mobile's text to " Send APN to 611611 to set up you mobile data" of course does not work (or did it??). KDE Plasma's menu has no seen option to turn it on in settings. It does show under settings and access points, Internet and APN as "wap.tracfone" (this is correct from what I read for Simple Mobile), but this for when wi-fi (previously set up wi-fi on phone start up). Somehow the phone or the text APN to 611611 did this itself while connected to wifi??? But no visible mobile data APN settings. Just no turning wi-fi off I have mobile data, I always show all bars, its a mystery why. Sometimes I get no mobile modem messages. Not sure what is going on here, seems for the first day a bit "unstable??"

Screen Brightness going to Dim when off charge Cable - When unplugging the cable the screen immediately goes to max dim unless you press the screen. All settings tried will not fix it. (get the .5 in the root folder thing again not a proper solution for the average person and this solution is all over the map!).  Being this is an issue that would impact many, when will this be fixed in an update????

Battery not Charging to 100% - After a night long charge of the new phone battery only hits about 83%.  Also noticed batter charge state bounced around at times. What is the non-techy solution here and when will it be fixed in a software update?

Updates Not Updating? - In Discover going to Update it shows updates available (604 of them). And if I click it there is a LONG! list.  Yet is shows 0 B.  I've been in this endless loop of telling it to do the updates, it telling me to reboot my phone, yet still the same update waiting.

Email - Well for some reason Protonmail cannot get a Linux App. And I do not want to pay and do POP3 etc etc.  So I found Tutanota in Discover, cool!  Install it and its out of date, cannot update, and the screen keyboard is not working.  Would like a nice app for email that can notify me when I have email.  Went to Tutanota website, they have  a Linux app you download, have no idea how to install this nor control it.  Would like to use Discover to "control apps" to know what is installed, to be able to easily (noob here) unistall, and control things.  Having to manage an endless mile of files from terminal not what Im after and IMO we are at the point we should not have to. Question - how can we get Tutanota or who can get Tutanota to update the app in Discover?? Not sure how that works or who manages Discover.

Thanks, forgive my ignorance folks. But 1. we all want this stuff to be successful. 2. To do that, everyday folks need easy solid answers. 3. I am sure I represent more than just me here.  I hate to think there are folks that bought a Pinephone, tried, looked for answers, could not find them because there were not quick and easy to locate, and were lost in too much data and just gave up.  I tossed MS and APL out the window (pun) because I was sick of them!  That M1 was a HUGE disapointment and not with a Dell Micro PC and Ubuntu I am super happy!! Wanting to offload this IOs POS phone ASAP!

thanks!
Scrwbigtek
(04-10-2022, 12:59 PM)scrwbigtek Wrote: Hello All,

First, feel free to slap me if there is an "open issues" sticky, or protocol to posting I was in too much rush to read.

Hopefully not the only new Pinephone 64 recipient in the US around the March/April 2022 time, and a new user, we all should have the same hardware/software. THus al have same/similar issue.

Seeking the non-tech folks like me clear-cut known solutions. The web is full of endless miles of "have you tried this" and "go edit this file" not helping much for non-tech folks and not sure of the date of those solutions. Hope someone can help the new non-tech folks like me. (lets move past the "if your non-tech why did you by a Pinephone, see my username LOL!)

Issues -

Password Setup (SOLVED) - There is a hidden pin confirmation box off screen you cannot see, need to tab to it with an external keyboard and enter to move on (keyboard adapter need if you do not have one).

SIM Card (SOLVED) - After no luck with the NET10/Trackphone SIM, found that at least in the US Northeast the Simple Mobile SIM kit from Walmart ($10 USD) worked pretty much turn key (well almost).

Mobile Data - Mobile Data not working sometimes. Simple Mobile's text to " Send APN to 611611 to set up you mobile data" of course does not work (or did it??). KDE Plasma's menu has no seen option to turn it on in settings. It does show under settings and access points, Internet and APN as "wap.tracfone" (this is correct from what I read for Simple Mobile), but this for when wi-fi (previously set up wi-fi on phone start up). Somehow the phone or the text APN to 611611 did this itself while connected to wifi??? But no visible mobile data APN settings. Just no turning wi-fi off I have mobile data, I always show all bars, its a mystery why. Sometimes I get no mobile modem messages. Not sure what is going on here, seems for the first day a bit "unstable??"

Screen Brightness going to Dim when off charge Cable - When unplugging the cable the screen immediately goes to max dim unless you press the screen. All settings tried will not fix it. (get the .5 in the root folder thing again not a proper solution for the average person and this solution is all over the map!).  Being this is an issue that would impact many, when will this be fixed in an update????

Battery not Charging to 100% - After a night long charge of the new phone battery only hits about 83%.  Also noticed batter charge state bounced around at times. What is the non-techy solution here and when will it be fixed in a software update?

Updates Not Updating? - In Discover going to Update it shows updates available (604 of them). And if I click it there is a LONG! list.  Yet is shows 0 B.  I've been in this endless loop of telling it to do the updates, it telling me to reboot my phone, yet still the same update waiting.

Email - Well for some reason Protonmail cannot get a Linux App. And I do not want to pay and do POP3 etc etc.  So I found Tutanota in Discover, cool!  Install it and its out of date, cannot update, and the screen keyboard is not working.  Would like a nice app for email that can notify me when I have email.  Went to Tutanota website, they have  a Linux app you download, have no idea how to install this nor control it.  Would like to use Discover to "control apps" to know what is installed, to be able to easily (noob here) unistall, and control things.  Having to manage an endless mile of files from terminal not what Im after and IMO we are at the point we should not have to. Question - how can we get Tutanota or who can get Tutanota to update the app in Discover?? Not sure how that works or who manages Discover.

Thanks, forgive my ignorance folks. But 1. we all want this stuff to be successful. 2. To do that, everyday folks need easy solid answers. 3. I am sure I represent more than just me here.  I hate to think there are folks that bought a Pinephone, tried, looked for answers, could not find them because there were not quick and easy to locate, and were lost in too much data and just gave up.  I tossed MS and APL out the window (pun) because I was sick of them!  That M1 was a HUGE disapointment and not with a Dell Micro PC and Ubuntu I am super happy!! Wanting to offload this IOs POS phone ASAP!

thanks!
Scrwbigtek

Screen dimming: that was a bug fixed months ago, which was causing a configuration file getting written with incorrect values. "rm ~/.config/powermanagementprofilesrc" should fix it.

Updates not working: I would suggest you to update solely via command line, "sudo pacman -Syu" is the command. If there is any issue it will also say the exact command in the command output there.

Battery not charging: That's intentional, see the FAQ.

Can't comment on the other two issues but generally I strongly suggest to test different distributions and UIs to get a feeling about their differences and different behaviors and features and to also evade bugs specific to one distribution or UI. Mobian with Phosh is for example quite stable.
(04-10-2022, 01:10 PM)fxc Wrote:

Issues -

thanks!
Scrwbigtek

Screen dimming: that was a bug fixed months ago, which was causing a configuration file getting written with incorrect values. "rm ~/.config/powermanagementprofilesrc" should fix it.

Updates not working: I would suggest you to update solely via command line, "sudo pacman -Syu" is the command. If there is any issue it will also say the exact command in the command output there.

Can't comment on the other two issues but generally I strongly suggest to test different distributions and UIs to get a feeling about their differences and different behaviors and features and to also evade bugs specific to one distribution or UI. Mobian with Phosh is for example quite stable.
Hello fxc,

Hope you are having a great day, (or night depending on location).

Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated!  Really! My questions and comments are not to downgrade your assistance. Just want to get that out there in case it comes across like that.

I'm asking these follow up stupid questions because while I can jump into terminal and do this (I think??) many folks can't or won't.  And because I am fuzzy on how the whole process of releases on this platform works, who is managing, etc. 

Many new folks are not gonna go down the "let me try this or that".  So can anything be done to fix that? Who is watching the "we need to get this bug fix into the next release number x.x.x ?"

IMO (my opinion so cut me some slack please LOL!  The phone should work with the Op Sys it ships with without the behind the curtain tinkering (gasp LOL!). If it is not... then why, and how do we fix it for the "average user".

I get it "its a Beta phone, it Linux, roll up your sleeves! Don't come here crying if you have to think and get your hands dirty! If you want an iPhone experience then buy an iPhone". But what about the non tech average person? And the fact that things are SOOOO close to being a near iPhone experience!!! This Pinephone 64 is amazing and I can see myself grabbing the latest and greatest model for sure!!

So with that out of the way on to my follow ups if you happen to know the answer or someone else does.

Dimming - If the bug was fixed months ago then it is listed in a release notes of KDE Plasma Mobile somewhere (any idea where that is? Is there a KDE Plasma Mobile website?)  If I get my phone to do the proper update will this fix come in?

Updates - Since most average folks would expect the Discover "Update" to actually update, why is this broken, is it being tracked?  I know on my KDE Ubuntu its working. I'm guessing this is different though.

Finally, wish "Discover" would get some help. Even in KDE desktop version Discover, things are outdated. What causes this? Is it resources, money, or is it just broken? While a seasoned Linux user may laugh at Discover and its why many may like one flavor of Linux vs another, releases like Ubuntu and KDE are the "gateway drug" for many new users. IMO its important they work as intended. If I knew who, how, or where to help I would.

Thank you again and take care!
(04-10-2022, 01:50 PM)scrwbigtek Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 01:10 PM)fxc Wrote:

Issues -

thanks!
Scrwbigtek

Hello fxc,

Hope you are having a great day, (or night depending on location).

Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated!  Really! My questions and comments are not to downgrade your assistance. Just want to get that out there in case it comes across like that.

I'm asking these follow up stupid questions because while I can jump into terminal and do this (I think??) many folks can't or won't.  And because I am fuzzy on how the whole process of releases on this platform works, who is managing, etc. 

Many new folks are not gonna go down the "let me try this or that".  So can anything be done to fix that? Who is watching the "we need to get this bug fix into the next release number x.x.x ?"

IMO (my opinion so cut me some slack please LOL!  The phone should work with the Op Sys it ships with without the behind the curtain tinkering (gasp LOL!). If it is not... then why, and how do we fix it for the "average user".

I get it "its a Beta phone, it Linux, roll up your sleeves! Don't come here crying if you have to think and get your hands dirty! If you want an iPhone experience then buy an iPhone". But what about the non tech average person? And the fact that things are SOOOO close to being a near iPhone experience!!! This Pinephone 64 is amazing and I can see myself grabbing the latest and greatest model for sure!!

So with that out of the way on to my follow ups if you happen to know the answer or someone else does.

Dimming - If the bug was fixed months ago then it is listed in a release notes of KDE Plasma Mobile somewhere (any idea where that is? Is there a KDE Plasma Mobile website?)  If I get my phone to do the proper update will this fix come in?

Updates - Since most average folks would expect the Discover "Update" to actually update, why is this broken, is it being tracked?  I know on my KDE Ubuntu its working. I'm guessing this is different though.

Finally, wish "Discover" would get some help. Even in KDE desktop version Discover, things are outdated. What causes this? Is it resources, money, or is it just broken? While a seasoned Linux user may laugh at Discover and its why many may like one flavor of Linux vs another, releases like Ubuntu and KDE are the "gateway drug" for many new users. IMO its important they work as intended. If I knew who, how, or where to help I would.

Thank you again and take care!
Fcx,

Ran the suggested "sudo pacman -Syu" command from Terminal.  It was on its way doing the updates, all looked fine, I set it down for a good while, came back later, screen would not show, phone was on, as plugging and unplugging power made the noises, but no display screen. 

Forced a reboot, now stuck at the K of the KDE start up screen. Multiple reboots stuck at KDE "K" screen.  Basically now broken.

How do I reset the phone to default?

Thanks
(04-10-2022, 02:34 PM)scrwbigtek Wrote: Fcx,

Ran the suggested "sudo pacman -Syu" command from Terminal.  It was on its way doing the updates, all looked fine, I set it down for a good while, came back later, screen would not show, phone was on, as plugging and unplugging power made the noises, but no display screen. 

Forced a reboot, now stuck at the K of the KDE start up screen. Multiple reboots stuck at KDE "K" screen.  Basically now broken.

Thanks

Sounds like the installation got corrupted. Make sure that updates don't get interrupted by the phone going into suspend. Recovering the phone is quite simple, on the regular PinePhone the microSD card has the highest boot priority, which means you can simply flash an operating system to the microSD and then insert it into the phone and boot from it.

If there is any further question or issue I strongly suggest you to join the bridged chat channels, as such questions are easily and quickly answered there by the community: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms
(04-10-2022, 03:57 PM)fxc Wrote:

Thanks

Sounds like the installation got corrupted. Make sure that updates don't get interrupted by the phone going into suspend. Recovering the phone is quite simple, on the regular PinePhone the microSD card has the highest boot priority, which means you can simply flash an operating system to the microSD and then insert it into the phone and boot from it.

If there is any further question or issue I strongly suggest you to join the bridged chat channels, as such questions are easily and quickly answered there by the community: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms
Thank you.

Just to close this. So had to roll up sleeves, but worth it.  Ended up formatting a microSD with Jumpdrive, grabbing the latest Manjaro Plasma Beta 11 for Pinephone release. The JumpDrive booted in the phone very well, Startup Disk Creator on my Desktop worked will with the Jumpdrive and attached phone, loaded up the image no problem.  Phone booted, did an update (said it did not take but it did). Manjaro Plasma 11 is WAY!!! smoother than the shipped software that came on the phone.  A ton more settings and with Simple Mobile here I selected T-Mobile -LTE fast.t-mobile.com for APN and it works well.  Calls, text, data.  This version of OS definitely in daily driver territory and will likely get a Pinephone Pro soon.  Take care.
(04-10-2022, 07:52 PM)scrwbigtek Wrote:

Thanks

Thank you.

Just to close this. So had to roll up sleeves, but worth it.  Ended up formatting a microSD with Jumpdrive, grabbing the latest Manjaro Plasma Beta 11 for Pinephone release. The JumpDrive booted in the phone very well, Startup Disk Creator on my Desktop worked will with the Jumpdrive and attached phone, loaded up the image no problem.  Phone booted, did an update (said it did not take but it did). Manjaro Plasma 11 is WAY!!! smoother than the shipped software that came on the phone.  A ton more settings and with Simple Mobile here I selected T-Mobile -LTE fast.t-mobile.com for APN and it works well.  Calls, text, data.  This version of OS definitely in daily driver territory and will likely get a Pinephone Pro soon.  Take care.

Great. Be aware of the early software state of the PinePhone Pro. At the time of the writing currently not possible to daily-drive it.
(04-11-2022, 05:51 AM)fxc Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 07:52 PM)scrwbigtek Wrote:

Thanks

Thank you.

Great. Be aware of the early software state of the PinePhone Pro. At the time of the writing currently not possible to daily-drive it.
One last comment. Because I had to figure out the boot with Jumpdrive that I initially did not want to, Oh I am so glad I did!!! I found this :

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...pro/104120

OMG!!!  This build verses what came on the phone, there is no comparison! I thought the KDE "clunkiness" was all the hardware, NOT!! Who ever is building this version, you rock!!!

IMO the Manjaro ARM Beta is in the "kill the iPhone race"! It is like SOOOO close to being perfect.  This with the speed of the PPP and a few fixes, it will be AMAZING!!! Cant wait!!
Bless the team working this!  It grabbed my SIM card (Simple Mobile) and just worked right out of the gate. Looking at the speed that the team is doing fixes on this seems amazing too.

If there is a build better than this let me know. Realize everyone has a personal pref, but coming off an iPhone to this Manjaro ARM the fit was very very nice. 

Thanks again for your help.
It's not that you 'have' to learn your way around the shell, etc. it's that doing so makes it easier to figure out what went wrong when things go off the rails. Sort of like being able to fix your own car (or anything else). Yes that takes time and effort, but it gets easier with time. And (IMHO) worth it.

And, all due respect, it's a (IMO very healthy) aspect of the DIY/hacker ethos. To try and figure things out, to take them apart, to learn etc. The whole world is full of consumers who just want to buy and use things. But at what cost? I will respectfully submit you to consider that is a lot of what have led to our current dependence on (and dominance of) big tech.

Anyway, can't we have our little tiny corner of the Internet, where users are expected to invest at least some amount of their own time and effort trying to learn? You are free to use the other 90% (or whatever it is) of the Internet (/hardware/software) if you don't agree. When in Rome...
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(04-30-2022, 06:23 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: It's not that you 'have' to learn your way around the shell, etc. it's that doing so makes it easier to figure out what went wrong when things go off the rails.  Sort of like being able to fix your own car (or anything else).  Yes that takes time and effort, but it gets easier with time.  And (IMHO) worth it.

And, all due respect, it's a (IMO very healthy) aspect of the DIY/hacker ethos.  To try and figure things out, to take them apart, to learn etc.  The whole world is full of consumers who just want to buy and use things.  But at what cost?  I will respectfully submit you to consider that is a lot of what have led to our current dependence on (and dominance of) big tech.

Anyway, can't we have our little tiny corner of the Internet, where users are expected to invest at least some amount of their own time and effort trying to learn?  You are free to use the other 90% (or whatever it is) of the Internet (/hardware/software) if you don't agree.  When in Rome...

Thanks for your reply TRS-80. TRS-80 man I am old "Look it spelled Hello World" LOL!!

Well, I was warned so not complaining, got the Pine Phone Pro, got the Tow Boot thing going and tried a few OS and as I was warned its not ready for prime time yet. Put it away and will wait patiently.  The big downfall for me was the battery burn-down time. The Phone Mute worked!! but the battery was a no go for me. I know folks are hard at work at it. Thank you to you folks working this!! Much gratitude and will donate when and where I can!

The good news is the Simple Mobile SIM just works! In both phones, plug and play!

Pulled out the Pine 64 with Mangero Phosh on it. Working well. My only issue is the phone Mute not working.  The awesome dude named Phil is working it as I looked at the Gnome Calls site and he chimed in there.  I am hopeful soon it will work as for work I need a mute when on conference calls.  Ordered a headset with an actual mute button that I think breaks the wire connection. I'm itching to ditch the iphone ASAP!  My iphone SE2 is a love hate, love the phone, hate Apple.

For an old timer like me the Pine64 fits my needs and will wait it out for the Pro to catch up. It is exciting that a Linux Phone is so dang close to being a real option!! With that is fear, fear it will go "mainstream". So yes to "our own little corner", nothing to see here, just move on" Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,081 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,666 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma