Rootkit detector for Arch Linux on PinePhone
I have been using "chkrootkit" on my Ubuntu desktop for awhile. I saw that it was available for Arch Linux desktop, but not for Arch Linux for PinePhone. When I tried "sudo pacman -S chkrootkit" an error message appeared and said that it was not found. I didn't see it on the Arch Linux wiki or on chkrootkit.org for "ARM". Is there a recommendation for something similar?
I suggest you install from AUR.
If all else fails, compile it from source.

Also, "chkrootkit.org" seems to be down on my end.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-19-2021, 05:04 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I have been using "chkrootkit" on my Ubuntu desktop for awhile. I saw that it was available for Arch Linux desktop, but not for Arch Linux for PinePhone. When I tried "sudo pacman -S chkrootkit" an error message appeared and said that it was not found. I didn't see it on the Arch Linux wiki or on chkrootkit.org for "ARM". Is there a recommendation for something similar?

Another option (for pacman) is to add blackarch sources to DanctNIX Arch... adds access to a great deal of security tools including chkrootkit, unhide (forensic tool to "unhide" processes in rootkits), rkhunter, tiger..

When adding blackarch sources, you can select to add all, or just a category of interest. Personally I added for the great range of radio tools.

As the other reply mentioned you could also build from source/AUR it, as is many times suggested.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

(12-20-2021, 07:33 AM)ryo Wrote: I suggest you install from AUR.

I'm new to Arch Linux, but I have heard of AUR. Is there a step by step example of how to get set up and download from AUR?
(12-20-2021, 02:38 PM)RTP Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 05:04 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I have been using "chkrootkit" on my Ubuntu desktop for awhile. I saw that it was available for Arch Linux desktop, but not for Arch Linux for PinePhone. When I tried "sudo pacman -S chkrootkit" an error message appeared and said that it was not found. I didn't see it on the Arch Linux wiki or on chkrootkit.org for "ARM". Is there a recommendation for something similar?

Another option (for pacman) is to add blackarch sources to DanctNIX Arch... adds access to a great deal of security tools including chkrootkit, unhide (forensic tool to "unhide" processes in rootkits), rkhunter, tiger..

When adding blackarch sources, you can select to add all, or just a category of interest. Personally I added for the great range of radio tools.

As the other reply mentioned you could also build from source/AUR it, as is many times suggested.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about BlackArch. I saw chkrootkit and other defensive tools there. Thanks very much.

ryo: I found a link at:

https://linuxhint.com/aur_arch_linux/

I can try this and see what happens.
(12-21-2021, 03:21 PM)tk1107 Wrote:

I recommend you skip to the "yay" part, it's an AUR helper, so it can automate the whole thing for you.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-22-2021, 09:38 AM)ryo Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 03:21 PM)tk1107 Wrote:

I recommend you skip to the "yay" part, it's an AUR helper, so it can automate the whole thing for you.
Ok. Thanks for the tip.

ryo:

What method have you used to install from AUR on Arch ARM? Do you have any of the "helpers" like "yay" working?
Ok. i understand "yay" now. Installing "yay" is very easy and helps to install "pamac". I was testing "pamac" and used it to look at "rkhunter" (a rootkit hunter) in the AUR. It works nice on PinePhone. The Arch ARM terminal is the nicest I've seen so far. The wiki on rkhunter is below:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Rkhunter

The wiki describes whitelisting to help with false positives. PinePhone has the "nano" editor that can help with this.

Thanks for the advice about yay. I've used it, too, for things, and it is impressive.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updating Arch Linux _radv_ 8 561 02-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,051 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 638 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How to find software app, on Arch Phosh? general_lee 5 1,796 10-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Arch auto mount usb example Lazy_one 2 2,764 10-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  Arch with FDE user641 1 838 07-29-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: alpineduck
  No keyboard on Arch Plasma when entering password on document Chief 0 798 12-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Curious About Arch Ferriah 2 2,062 11-07-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Latest version Arch Plasma looks good. Chief 5 2,310 10-23-2022, 01:53 PM
  Evolution no longer runs on Arch Phosh. Chief 2 1,310 10-17-2022, 07:22 AM