PinePhone Pro battery life
The battery life on the PinePhone is already not that great, but what will the battery life be like on the PinePhone Pro (since it will use the same battery)?
From what I read so far,  this new cpu is tuned especially for the Pinephone Pro,

so it will have a little less useable horsepower than the same cpu in the Pinebook Pro.

May be possible that the new board could improve battery life.

Hopefully those who get their hands on this Developer Edition share their experiences with us ... SOON       Shy
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
i have similar concern. pp pro has better cpu and more memory, therefore it consumes more battery and generates more heat.

i have feeling that pp pro is sub-optimal compromize. in my view it should have bigger battery, maybe 4500 mAh. to do that physical size needs to be increased. physical size is also good for heat dissipation. worst case scenario might be, pp pro is a heat bomb with poor battery life.

at least there is wifi ac, so i probably end up buying this device. waiting for little while is a good idea.
When I heard that the PPP was going to be 2mm thicker, I assumed that it would have a fatter battery. However, looking at the specs, that doesn't seem to be the case.

[edit] I'm still pretty excited for it though.
Is the battery life problem with the phones, when compared to ordinary smartphones, more about needing thousands of software optimizations or more about fundamental limitations of the hardware that had to be chosen?
(10-19-2021, 09:38 AM)ypd Wrote: Is the battery life problem with the phones, when compared to ordinary smartphones, more about needing thousands of software optimizations or more about fundamental limitations of the hardware that had to be chosen?

Yes.
(10-19-2021, 09:38 AM)ypd Wrote: Is the battery life problem with the phones,  when compared to ordinary smartphones, more about needing thousands of software optimizations or more about fundamental limitations of the hardware that had to be chosen?

A bit of both. We've got relatively old and inefficient processors as the shiny new ones don't have the level of openness we need - this is touched on in the AMA among other places. The modem firmware isn't exactly optimised for low standby power, as has become apparent in the course of developing the more open replacement firmware - that was previously considered more of a black box hardware component, so power savings from opening the software are an unexpected bonus. If you have a look at Megous' recent posts you'll see a load of power related work too.

https://github.com/Biktorgj/pinephone_modem_sdk
https://xnux.eu/log/#048
when i run my pinephone for a day, the battery is dead.
when i touch the pinephone after a couple of hours, i dont need a hot-water bag, because i have the pinephone.
i am not sure if this is related to the cpu or the modem - i guess its a modem thing because when i disable the modem, the pinephone keeps longer alive.
i would really like to support pinephone as i did with the braveheart edition, but i am not going to buy the pp pro just because ... its useless for me.
i need a phone which is usable for at least 2 days as phone (i only need to make calls or receive calls), if its not going to fulfill that, sry i am out.
The PPP is thicker than the PP because the LCD is slightly thicker + layer of gorilla glass (also on rear camera lens, plastic before).

Battery life will be worse on the PPP compared with the PP because the components are all a performance upgrade and use more power. PPP offers a different type of experiment to the PP to evaluate components in a higher category of performance. I thought about the price hike over the PP and it seems to be the value of all the upgraded components added up.

I think it will be one or more iterations of the Pine64 smartphone after PPP and 8nm lithography combined with all the lessons learned from previous iterations before we can say the end goal of this journey has been reached. I may eventually acquire a PPP but that for me that is > 1 year away it will also depend on others feedback.
is there some investigation done about the modem and power consumption? just wondering because the PPP should get the exact same modem and i am not sure how they will fix that problem, which is a pretty killer to me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,059 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,520 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,476 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,595 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma