Installed Apps not opening
I have installed apps through the software application and have noticed that some apps do not open.  Specifically Pidgin I click on the app and it looks like its going to open but it just hangs.  Anybody else experience this ?
(10-06-2021, 08:27 PM)mmd604 Wrote: I have installed apps through the software application and have noticed that some apps do not open.  Specifically Pidgin I click on the app and it looks like its going to open but it just hangs.  Anybody else experience this ?

The "debris" from the failed start should be in the journal: try
journalctl -b
from the command line (Kings Cross) and see what is at the end. While in the terminal try start pidgin manually (probably type pidgin) and again you should see what the problem is.
HTH
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
One thing I've noticed is a lot of apps that do that behavior are not actually compatible with the pinephone yet. For almost every app I troubleshot that did that, they were actually crashing or stalling on start, and launching from a terminal would would only tell me where they got hung up.

It's a little frustrating that you can install whatever you want with no way to know if its broken, but all you can really do is try contacting the developer of the app to file a bug report.
(10-07-2021, 09:55 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: One thing I've noticed is a lot of apps that do that behavior are not actually compatible with the pinephone yet. For almost every app I troubleshot that did that, they were actually crashing or stalling on start, and launching from a terminal would would only tell me where they got hung up.

It's a little frustrating that you can install whatever you want with no way to know if its broken, but all you can really do is try contacting the developer of the app to file a bug report.

Yeah, that is super annoying but what is almost worse is that there is no user feedback for an app that has crashed. There was an open issue on phosh about this but I don't think any progress has been made towards fixing it yet.
(10-08-2021, 08:15 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 09:55 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: One thing I've noticed is a lot of apps that do that behavior are not actually compatible with the pinephone yet. For almost every app I troubleshot that did that, they were actually crashing or stalling on start, and launching from a terminal would would only tell me where they got hung up.

Yeah, that is super annoying but what is almost worse is that there is no user feedback for an app that has crashed. There was an open issue on phosh about this but I don't think any progress has been made towards fixing it yet.

I think we're in an awkward early state still, where devs don't want to troubleshoot their more complex apps on Pinephone yet because phosh and Plasma Mobile are still such works-in-progress.

We're still seeing some simpler apps work though. Slowly but surely all the KDE/Gnome games are starting to fit on mobile, for example. Plasma Mobile is a bit more rough, but is a lot more open about their progress. You can freely join their matrix channel to talk to their devs even.
(10-08-2021, 09:16 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote:
(10-08-2021, 08:15 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:

I think we're in an awkward early state still, where devs don't want to troubleshoot their more complex apps on Pinephone yet because phosh and Plasma Mobile are still such works-in-progress.

We're still seeing some simpler apps work though. Slowly but surely all the KDE/Gnome games are starting to fit on mobile, for example. Plasma Mobile is a bit more rough, but is a lot more open about their progress. You can freely join their matrix channel to talk to their devs even.

For sure. Plasma is definitely more rough around the edges but also is way more feature rich so I think they kinda took the approach of throwing everything in and then focus on fixing it and Phosh is focusing more on adding things slowly and making sure it all works. Personally I would love to use Plasma Mobile but right now it is so far from daily driver ready that it means I use Phosh even though it is basically just an app drawer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard not popping up on QT apps 3x5co 1 224 02-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,901 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  How to check if tow-boot is installed? jojuma 3 907 09-29-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Why is Firefox ESR not listet under "Installed" in "Software" jojuma 0 585 08-30-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  PSA: anacron might be disabled if 2.3-33 was ever installed treebeard 0 558 11-21-2022, 02:32 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Giving certain audio apps priority on the lock screen and pulldown 3x5co 0 843 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Using lat/lon in GPS/GNSS apps and Messaging biketool 6 3,115 05-04-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Error - megapixels not opening user641 17 9,797 03-29-2022, 03:43 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Apps and SD Card biketool 2 1,864 03-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Reskinning Apps for Mobile biketool 6 3,392 12-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Last Post: biketool