How to check if tow-boot is installed?
Is there a way to check whether tow-boot is installed or not?
The easiest way is probably to reboot the phone and to try to use the magic key for USB Mass Storage mode, see "Additional features" under https://tow-boot.org/devices/pine64-pinephoneA64.html.
After some more research it appears like this:

On startup, the bootloader has control over the notification led and after the OS has been loaded, it takes control over the notification led.

It seems like you can tell which bootloader is installed by checking how many and which colors the LED shows while booting. The Pinephone's default bootloader shows only one colour: red.

Tow-Boot shows red first, but then switches to a second color, depending on the location it boots from: yellow for eMMC, cyan if booting from microSD-card (holding Volume down) or blue if enabling the mass storage mode (holding Volume up).

I found this issue on GitHub.

I was hoping for a command to check the bootloader in the terminal, but it seems, this is the best for now...

I'll not mark this as answered yet in the case I am mistaken and somebody wants to correct me or has a terminal solution.
(09-29-2023, 02:08 AM)jojuma Wrote: After some more research it appears like this:

On startup, the bootloader has control over the notification led and after the OS has been loaded, it takes control over the notification led.

It seems like you can tell which bootloader is installed by checking how many and which colors the LED shows while booting. The Pinephone's default bootloader shows only one colour: red.

Tow-Boot shows red first, but then switches to a second color, depending on the location it boots from: yellow for eMMC, cyan if booting from microSD-card (holding Volume down) or blue if enabling the mass storage mode (holding Volume up).

I found this issue on GitHub.

I was hoping for a command to check the bootloader in the terminal, but it seems, this is the best for now...

I'll not mark this as answered yet in the case I am mistaken and somebody wants to correct me or has a terminal solution.

Thanks on the good info, thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 2,013 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 638 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Why is Firefox ESR not listet under "Installed" in "Software" jojuma 0 595 08-30-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  4G data on default startup / boot dcinoz 1 842 04-29-2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,341 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Boot log analyses -> GPU no regulator (mali) found freelectro 0 969 03-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  boot gets stuck shortly after disk decryption vortex 8 4,027 02-13-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: sharase
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 1,017 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 1,000 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Best way to wake up and check emails? DrPlamsa 7 5,583 12-31-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: DrPlamsa