*urgent help*calls and gnome-conatcs gone after update
(09-14-2021, 01:35 PM)bcnaz Wrote: <snip>

I don't think there is anything at this time that is labeled :  "Bookworm Stable"

Correct and, according to the Mobian blog announcement, Bullseye (stable) support will be very limited:

Current users will still get updates from Debian throughout the lifetime of bullseye but shouldn’t expect new versions of user-facing applications or the mobile software stack. To put it short, here’s what you’ll get from sticking to bullseye:

security updates for the core system
    minor upgrades to system packages

Here’s what you won’t get should you decide to stick to bullseye:

security updates for packages maintained by Mobian
    shiny new features
    usability improvements

See:https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...e-release/

So I made the leap from stable to unstable.
Officially,  is the Bookworm  'Nightly Release'    "Unstable"  or  "Testing"  ?
          ( What is the line between unstable and testing ?)

I would like to know the  "proper term"  as we will likely be referring to,  and talking about this for some years to come.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-14-2021, 05:22 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Officially,  is the Bookworm  'Nightly Release'    "Unstable"  or  "Testing"  ?
          ( What is the line between unstable and testing ?)

I would like to know the  "proper term"  as we will likely be referring to,  and talking about this for some years to come.

Mobian releases don't seem to work like Debian. Mobian only has bookworm and bullseye. There is no "sid" (unstable). According to the Debian wiki, bookworm is currently the testing branch. Accordingly, I don't see how we can consider bookworm on the Pinephone to be anything more stable than testing, regardless of what it's called! The previous unstable Mobian branch repo is now supporting bookworm users, according the the Mobian blog so, good question--should bookworm be considered to be testing or unstable? I guess, in a manner, it's both. Maybe a Debian expert has a better explanation than I.

The Debian wiki explains the three branches in Debian here: https://www.debian.org/releases/

From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting:
Debian testing is the current development state of the next stable Debian distribution. It is also made available under the code name of the next stable release, Bookworm is the current testing codename.
I think I have to make a few things clear here:
- There is no Mobian "stable" branch, as we stopped pushing updates to our "bullseye" repo due to lack of manpower
- "bookworm" is Mobian's testing branch, just like it is to Debian
- Mobian's "unstable" repo does exist and is, well, equivalent to unstable/sid; we advise people using it to stick to Debian testing/bookworm for the main repo (so the core system is somehow stable and only few potentially unstable packages are pulled in), but a full unstable setup is possible

Bottom line is, Mobian shouldn't be considered any more stable than Debian testing (currently bookworm), which is good enough for lots of people, but comes with its share of problems, such as Debian transitions sometimes breaking Mobian-hosted packages (gnome-calls and gnome-contacts being a good example).

This will improve over time as we progressively drop packages from our repo and rely on upstream Debian instead, but we're still a year or two away from a stable (as in "Debian stable") release.
(09-20-2021, 12:08 PM)a-wai Wrote: I think I have to make a few things clear here:
- There is no Mobian "stable" branch, as we stopped pushing updates to our "bullseye" repo due to lack of manpower
- "bookworm" is Mobian's testing branch, just like it is to Debian
- Mobian's "unstable" repo does exist and is, well, equivalent to unstable/sid; we advise people using it to stick to Debian testing/bookworm for the main repo (so the core system is somehow stable and only few potentially unstable packages are pulled in), but a full unstable setup is possible

<snip>

Thank you very much, a-wai. Your explanation helps a lot!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gnome-control-center: segmentation fault on startup jojuma 4 943 09-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,249 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,909 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  No audio on calls after updating today Zebulon Walton 10 4,005 12-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BaronAlbatross
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,031 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Dist-upgrade and Chatty vs Gnome-Contacts biketool 9 3,804 09-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,000 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,759 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken