Need help updating comparison of the PinePhone vs Librem 5 specs
(06-24-2020, 04:59 AM)wibble Wrote: > 192g on my uncalibrated kitchen scales.

Thanks. I put "roughly 190 g" and linked to your post.

> No tools required to replace the battery.

Great. I added that and linked to your post.

> Any list of apps will be outdated by changes in the respective repository or app store - why not just point there instead?

I added links to the Ubuntu Touch's OpenStore and its documentation on app development and Android apps. 

> On the innovations front you should probably check what was done with the OpenMoko GTA01 and GTA02 as they got there with several of them, and even then they arguably weren't first:
> * bootable from uSD

I checkeded and the OpenMoko could boot from the uSD card, but it has been a decade since then, so I'm keeping it as "Second phone maker (after OpenMoko)".

> * Multiple OS support - notably there was a NetBSD port as well as the many linux-based options. There were at least 10.

CompuLab produced a phone that supported Windows Mobile, Linux and Android, so it is probably better to not say "most OSes". Considering that the PinePhone already has 16 Linux ports, I'm changing this to "ported to the most Linux distros and most environments (7 interfaces)".

> * No firmware blobs in the main filesystem - the Atheros firmware was in a PROM on the module and wasn't user-updateable. This kept FSF happy as it's now magically 'hardware', but left the owner stuffed when a bug was found in the firmware. This is the part of RYF that I profoundly disagree with - there's a firmware blob either way, and I want the freedom to update it if I want to.

It largely depends on your priorities whether it is better to have firmware in /lib/firmware directory or stored in the component's memory. However, I think that people who care about software freedom will prefer the Redpine Signals RS9116 in the Librem 5 over the Realtek RTL8723CS in the PinePhone. The RS9113/6 is the best option available.

The larger issue is that Purism publicly aligns with the FSF, whereas PINE64 calls itself "open source", so people who care about promoting the ideals of free software will select phones based on that.

> * First convergence as PC - there wasn't much in the way of mobile interfaces at the time, so adapting desktop stuff to work on a small touchscreen was necessary. There were bits that people had done for the iPaq and early tablets.

Both Windows Mobile and Ubuntu Touch already offer convergence. Windows Mobile mostly had different software for each environment, and Ubuntu Touch started that way. Then, Ubuntu Touch evolved to allow mobile apps to adapt to be desktop apps. The innovation in the Librem 5 is going the opposite direction to allow desktop apps to adapt to be mobile apps. I changed my text to clarify this.

> * Lifetime software updates - at least I think that was the plan - in the end updates were there as long as the company was, and community support after that was possible because everything was open anyway.

I agree that the PinePhone with UBports is likely to get software updates as long as the Librem 5, but the innovation is a phone seller  promising "lifetime support".

I was trying to find if any company has promised to produce a phone for 5 years on release of the phone. I can't find any examples when I do a search, so I'm going to list that as an innovation for smartphones. Apple produced a few iPhone models for 4 years and the FairPhone 2 was produced for 4 years. Benefone produced one of its phone for 11 years from 1989 to 2000. 

So here are the PinePhone innovations:
  • - First phone where the maker outsources all software to multiple community OS projects.
    - Ported to more Linux distros and more environments (7 interfaces) than any phone ever produced.
    - First phone with physical switch to convert the headphone jack into a UART serial port.
    - First smartphone to promise 5 years of production.
    - Second phone maker (after OpenMoko) offering booting from a microSD card.

Pretty impressive for a $150 phone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need help updating comparison of the PinePhone vs Librem 5 specs - by amosbatto - 06-25-2020, 12:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eSIM on PinePhone just_a_q 4 2,727 1 hour ago
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 4 197 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Richy_T
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 9 955 05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: laserpyramid
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 474 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 318 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 111,553 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,988 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 705 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,640 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 571 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh