Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone?
#32
Thanks @wibble  for your reply. I had another look at the issue today and took ModemManager completely out of the equation, as you suggested. I played through all the steps needed to set xtra data via AT commands, while reading the Quectel specs to double check. No dice. I just can't get any satellites. All I get after minutes of waiting is something like this:

Code:
$GPGGA,132754.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*46
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32
$GPGGA,132755.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*47
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32
$GPGGA,132756.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*44
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32
$GPGGA,132757.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*45
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32
$GPGGA,132758.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*4A
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32
$GPGGA,132759.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*4B
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32
$GPGGA,132800.08,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*48
$GPVTG,,T,,M,,N,,K,N*2C
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*32

By now, I'm ready to accept that this could be a hardware issue. I'm currently still contemplating whether I should dismantle the phone and check the antenna connectors. But since this has taken so much time already, it's more likely that I'll just move on and check other use cases from my requirements list. I'll consider GPS broken on the PinePhone (or at least on mine) for now and revisit this later this year.
  Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? - by xelalex - 01-08-2021, 07:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 21 22,543 09-11-2026, 09:18 AM
Last Post: idice
  Pinephone + Keyboard for sale, little use ruemoo 18 14,767 08-23-2026, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Nambo
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 14 25,507 05-17-2026, 03:52 PM
Last Post: EuvzO8
  PinePhone 16 GB – Free to a Good Home Anna 2 2,296 01-20-2026, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Anna
Sad PinePhone USB-C port and audio jack failure Kevin Kofler 4 8,680 12-11-2025, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Recycling pinephone as home server mdk 6 4,125 12-01-2025, 02:57 AM
Last Post: mdk
  PinePhone, PinePhone Pro, Keyboard/Accessories for sale brb78 5 3,225 11-30-2025, 05:45 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Modem Issues with the Pinephone Temmie19 5 6,718 07-02-2025, 12:50 PM
Last Post: biketool
Question Third-party cheap touchscreen/LCD for the Pinephone - lost knowledge? mikeb 2 4,932 06-21-2025, 05:19 PM
Last Post: mikeb
  Pinephone not booting sd card... bruv 1 3,654 03-25-2025, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)