Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone?
#17
@calinb The factory test image that came on my Breave Heart had no specific GPS test that I remember. I don't know what diagnostics they're providing with more recent models. It would be difficult to test in a factory without something transmitting a fake GPS signal, so it may not have a specific test.

I used an old Garmin Geko 201 as a cold fix reference before starting on the AGPS stuff. With the Brave Heart I was seeing sats in GPGSV messages even when I didn't have a fix, similar to the Garmin's sat view before fix. If you're seeing nothing in situations where the Garmin can get a fix then something's wrong. Have you tried accessing the modem control interface with a terminal (picocom or similar) when ModemManager is stopped? That may show error messages that aren't present in the NMEA feed - assuming the Quectel interface passes them on via AT messages. Beyond that you might have to go digging in libqmi to find out if there are any lower level GPS diagnostics from the Qualcom interface.

The other more invasive thing to check is the physical antenna connection. I think the GPS antenna is one of the printed ones on the inner frame, with spring contacts to the main board. It's not something I've looked into, so I can't give you more detailed pointers other than looking in the wiki for the mainboard swap instructions for inner frame removal.
  Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? - by wibble - 12-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 21 22,543 09-11-2026, 09:18 AM
Last Post: idice
  Pinephone + Keyboard for sale, little use ruemoo 18 14,767 08-23-2026, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Nambo
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 14 25,507 05-17-2026, 03:52 PM
Last Post: EuvzO8
  PinePhone 16 GB – Free to a Good Home Anna 2 2,296 01-20-2026, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Anna
Sad PinePhone USB-C port and audio jack failure Kevin Kofler 4 8,680 12-11-2025, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Recycling pinephone as home server mdk 6 4,125 12-01-2025, 02:57 AM
Last Post: mdk
  PinePhone, PinePhone Pro, Keyboard/Accessories for sale brb78 5 3,225 11-30-2025, 05:45 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Modem Issues with the Pinephone Temmie19 5 6,718 07-02-2025, 12:50 PM
Last Post: biketool
Question Third-party cheap touchscreen/LCD for the Pinephone - lost knowledge? mikeb 2 4,932 06-21-2025, 05:19 PM
Last Post: mikeb
  Pinephone not booting sd card... bruv 1 3,654 03-25-2025, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)