Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone?
#52
(07-05-2021, 03:20 PM)Benatti Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 10:21 AM)wibble Wrote: There's some movement on getting assistance data loading into distros.

OpenSuse have this:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_...y?expand=1

Dylan Van Assche has been working on Mobian via egs5-manager as well as upstream ModemManager:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/eg25-...equests/15
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...issues/357
Good Morning
Thank you for your attention and I leave a photo that I hope to be able to add in the post with an addition of aluminum paper on the gps antenna, fixed with transparent adhesive tape to make the photo, which considerably increased the signal level, obtaining a good signal-to-noise ratio. best.
I suggest it be researched to confirm and implemented if possible in the next phones, so I hope I could have contributed to this project in some way.

Using your hardware-hack, yesterday I got my first GPS fix! Maybe now we need to iterate on the geometry.

Yesterday I had a wild combination of the agps script and mmcli commands, so I can't tell what really worked.

Today I placed the phone under a south-oriented roof-window with open sight to the sky, started the turned-off phone and just ran:

Code:
sudo mmcli -m any --location-enable-agps-msb
sudo mmcli -m any --location-enable-gps-unmanaged

After a few minutes I had a fix! I didn't use the script. Either the amanac was received from the satelites or ModemManager downloaded it. Somehow I got the feeling that the agps-script doesn't work in central Europe.

Right now, the gpsd stack only works if I activate unmanaged gps over ModemManager and I prefer to use gpsmon to see the progress of getting a fix. Is there an alternative using the NMEA output from dbus?

Another strange thing is that gpsmon shows the GPS sattelites and xgps and cgps only show GLONASS satelites. After deep investigation now I can read the NMEA output and could see that both kinds of satelites were used.

Still, the quality is not perfect. SNR is around 20 for any satelite.
  Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? - by moxx - 09-01-2022, 04:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 21 22,543 09-11-2026, 09:18 AM
Last Post: idice
  Pinephone + Keyboard for sale, little use ruemoo 18 14,767 08-23-2026, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Nambo
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 14 25,507 05-17-2026, 03:52 PM
Last Post: EuvzO8
  PinePhone 16 GB – Free to a Good Home Anna 2 2,296 01-20-2026, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Anna
Sad PinePhone USB-C port and audio jack failure Kevin Kofler 4 8,680 12-11-2025, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Recycling pinephone as home server mdk 6 4,125 12-01-2025, 02:57 AM
Last Post: mdk
  PinePhone, PinePhone Pro, Keyboard/Accessories for sale brb78 5 3,225 11-30-2025, 05:45 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Modem Issues with the Pinephone Temmie19 5 6,718 07-02-2025, 12:50 PM
Last Post: biketool
Question Third-party cheap touchscreen/LCD for the Pinephone - lost knowledge? mikeb 2 4,932 06-21-2025, 05:19 PM
Last Post: mikeb
  Pinephone not booting sd card... bruv 1 3,654 03-25-2025, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)