Armbian broken sometime in the last few months
I had Armbian running from a MicroSD card for a while and it worked pretty well. I did an "apt dist-upgrade" the other day and now it won't boot into a graphical desktop. And it doesn't come up on the network because I can't ping it.

I installed the latest Armbian onto another MicroSD and it doesn't work either.

So their image for the Pinebook became broken probably in the last few months.

I tried an earlier image from 2023 and did an "apt dist-upgrade" on it and it broke too.

Sucks. That is a nice OS.
(05-26-2024, 05:17 AM)acruhl Wrote: I had Armbian running from a MicroSD card for a while and it worked pretty well. I did an "apt dist-upgrade" the other day and now it won't boot into a graphical desktop. And it doesn't come up on the network because I can't ping it.

I installed the latest Armbian onto another MicroSD and it doesn't work either.

So their image for the Pinebook became broken probably in the last few months.

I tried an earlier image from 2023 and did an "apt dist-upgrade" on it and it broke too.

Sucks. That is a nice OS.
That does suck. The original Pinebook will never be a speed demon but runs Ubuntu surprisingly well.  I think there are two problems. The first is that not a lot of work is going in to the Pinebook on Armbian. The second problem is that I don't think Armbian supports dist-upgrade.

I  can think of two things you can do. You could download a recent build that boots and keep it updated, using "apt upgrade" instead of dist-upgrade. Both bookworm and Jammy are supported releases for a while.

The other thing is that you can use the Armbian build framework and build a more recent release yourself. It's not super hard, although you'll have to google a bit and possibly install some software to get it to run if you've never done it before. I just did it myself today, and if you build it with the legacy 6.1 kernel you can have Ubuntu Noble on your Pinebook.
(The quote thing is weird so I deleted it)

What Ubuntu are you running on your white Pinebook? Now I'm interested in trying that.

Thanks!
(05-27-2024, 11:43 AM)acruhl Wrote: (The quote thing is weird so I deleted it)

What Ubuntu are you running on your white Pinebook? Now I'm interested in trying that.

Thanks!

I'm running Debian on an microsd. I got both Debian Bookworm and Ubuntu Noble to compile with Kernel 6.1.92,  so I'll put one of those on the mmc, depending on which one I can get to do an encrypted install.
(05-29-2024, 12:36 AM)michel_luc Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 11:43 AM)acruhl Wrote: (The quote thing is weird so I deleted it)

Thanks!

I'm running Debian on an microsd. I got both Debian Bookworm and Ubuntu Noble to compile with Kernel 6.1.92,  so I'll put one of those on the mmc, depending on which one I can get to do an encrypted install.

Ahh yes. I haven't compiled Linux in probably 20 years. I still do compile NetBSD once in a while. I'm lazy, looking for a maintained distro.

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change console resolution (Armbian/bookworm) jcgraybill 1 1,171 06-22-2023, 01:31 PM
Last Post: jcgraybill
  Armbian 22.02 Release Announcement TRS-80 0 1,415 02-28-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Big thanks to Armbian! soupbowl 2 3,050 12-30-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: rookieone
  Armbian - Xenial Desktop (Pinebook) pineadmin 83 113,896 07-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Last Post: catsmile
  Wi-fi stops working - Armbian cel 1 3,221 06-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: cel
  Failure in setting the display backlight with Armbian 5.86 [SOLVED] wlad 0 2,057 06-11-2019, 03:36 AM
Last Post: wlad
Exclamation Armbian - need help, locked out myself by setting backlight to zero UltraBloxX 6 7,647 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Last Post: guidol
  Armbian 18.04 (Bionic) for Pinebook Luke 0 3,305 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Luke