Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,088
» Latest member: harisq
» Forum threads: 15,672
» Forum posts: 114,509

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Slarm64 on PinePhone [Uno...
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: donchurch
7 hours ago
» Replies: 35
» Views: 24,477
Bluetooth Handsfree Bount...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: conifera
Yesterday, 04:58 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 1,771
Install Tow-Boot on the S...
Forum: Pinebook Pro Tutorials
Last Post: alchemist
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 7,976
Help needed to understand...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: Pelecanus
Yesterday, 07:59 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 56
Helpful setup summaries
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: tophneal
04-18-2024, 09:48 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 46
After upgrade on 08.03.24...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: Corkonian
04-18-2024, 01:22 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 620
how to use rk2aw-spi-flas...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: Gooberpatrol66
04-17-2024, 10:23 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 57
GloDroid (Android-14)
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: GaryM
04-17-2024, 08:39 AM
» Views: 104
Android images for RockPr...
Forum: Android on RockPro64
Last Post: tophneal
04-17-2024, 07:50 AM
» Views: 37
Pinebook Pro Initial Impr...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: KC9UDX
04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
» Replies: 443
» Views: 585,306

Crust weirdness
Posted by: 3x5co - 12-27-2020, 06:26 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (4)

I tried to installl caffeine today by running `sudo apt install caffeine`. I got this error message:

```
md5sum: /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin: No such file or directory
E: Sub-process if grep -qE '(u-boot-sunxi|arm-trusted-firmware)'; then touch /tmp/upgrade-uboot; else md5sum /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin > /tmp/crust.md5; fi returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script if grep -qE '(u-boot-sunxi|arm-trusted-firmware)'; then touch /tmp/upgrade-uboot; else md5sum /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin > /tmp/crust.md5; fi

```

After this, I couldn't installl anything without getting the same message. So I ran the following:

```
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/crust/

sudo cp /usr/bin/scp /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin
```

Now everything works, but this is a hack and I'm not sure what went wrong here, or how to fix it properly. Thoughts?

Spurious headphone detection interrupts
Posted by: dsimic - 12-27-2020, 06:22 PM - Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories - Replies (52)

Hello,

I have observed generation of spurios headphone detection interrupts on my second-batch PineBook Pro.  The interrupt count increases with no headphones being plugged in or out, which is obviously not the expected behavior.  I have also verified that music playback through internal speakers does not cause the tnterrupt count to increase.

You can check the above-described interrupt count by running something like this:

Code:
cat /proc/interrupts | grep Headphone

This is what I get as the output for the command above, after about six hours of uptime:

Code:
73:   6   0   0   0   0   0   rockchip_gpio_irq   8 Edge   Headphone detection

Of course, there should be a total of zero interrupts generated, instead of six as visible above.

I already looked at the PineBook Pro schematic, board DTS file, and the ES8316 driver in the Linux kernel.  However, I'd refrain from spending a lot of time digging into this, until we can establish it as a known, non-isolated issue.

Could anyone, please, confirm the above-described issue?

Keep phone awake when audio is playing
Posted by: 3x5co - 12-27-2020, 05:42 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (2)

I want my phone to auto suspend, but not if music is playing. My player, gmusicbrowser, has an option to prevent a screensaver when the player is playing and fullscreen. However, it doesn't work on the Mobian Pinephone.

There's a program called caffeine that is supposed to let you tweak your sleep settings, but I can't install it on Mobian. I get these errors:

```
md5sum: /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin: No such file or directory
E: Sub-process if grep -qE '(u-boot-sunxi|arm-trusted-firmware)'; then touch /tmp/upgrade-uboot; else md5sum /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin > /tmp/crust.md5; fi returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script if grep -qE '(u-boot-sunxi|arm-trusted-firmware)'; then touch /tmp/upgrade-uboot; else md5sum /usr/lib/crust/scp.bin > /tmp/crust.md5; fi

```

Any ideas?

Sim
Posted by: JBrauen - 12-27-2020, 05:26 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (4)

Got my Manjaro CE phone in October. After playing with Phosh for a bit I switched over to KDE Plasma and found that the phone recognized my sim, but then after doing an update, would no longer see the sim card. I allowed it to go through several updates and continued to try to have it find my Sim with no success. Eventually I downloaded and flashed a very recent version of the KDE software in to the eMMC. Once again the phone saw the sim and hooked up with my cell provider. Just by circumstance I recieved a phone call from my brother in law and had a nice clear conversation on the phone. After that I did a large update (over 500 mg) and ever since then my phone will not see the sim and connect. I love the software and it seems to be getting better and better. But this thing of not seeing the sim is making me nuts. Does anyone have a remedy for this?

Make 'terminal' on-screen keyboard the default
Posted by: 3x5co - 12-27-2020, 05:11 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - No Replies

I have no use for the other keyboard, and I always switch right to 'terminal'. Is there a way to make this universal and persistent?

Rock64 v2 as Openmediavault server - buffers / shutdown problems
Posted by: helpmerock - 12-27-2020, 11:39 AM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCK64 - Replies (2)

For Rock64 Ver2 (1GB ram), I installed OMV using Guide: Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms: Link: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.p...platforms/

Thanks to the guide, it's easy to install & starts working.
However, I can not shutdown. With either webpage shutdown command OR SSH shutdown command or connecting keyboard & monitor and on consol, in all three cases - it restarts instead of shutdown. 

2nd try:
I install the same thing again on another SD card but the same problem - can not shutdown [Image: 2639.png]- always reboots.
Transfer speed from Windows 10 to OVM is about 90 to 95MB/s in write & 65 to 70 MB/s (USB3 external HDD)
Sharing video files from OMV to Kodi & vlc on firestick 4k, NO buffers. works great[Image: 263a.png].
Now,
I tried from OMV: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/ - It works & shutdown too[Image: 263a.png].
Transfer speed from Windows 10 to OVM is about 95 to 105MB/s in write & 75 to 90 MB/s (higher than previous installs)
BUT, while sharing video files from OMV to Kodi & vlc on firestick 4k, buffers a lot & it's unwatchable[Image: 2639.png].
How I can achieve the best of both worlds?[Image: 1f914.png]

Lightbulb New version of MCUBoot bootloader : I need your help!
Posted by: JF002 - 12-27-2020, 09:33 AM - Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime - Replies (15)

Hi everyone!
These last few weeks, I've been working on improving the MCUBoot bootloader. This bootloader is the one that is programmed at the factory along with InfiniTime 0.7.1.
I think I've reached a state that allows other developers and users of PineTime devkit (not sealed) to test, debug and raise issues.
But first, a bit of background info:

What is the purpose of a bootloader?
The bootloader is the first software to be ran after a reset. Its main goal is to initialize the MCU and load the application firmware. The bootloader can provides many additional functionalities like firmware upgrade, recovery, firmware authentification, HW diagnostic and selftest,...

As of now, there are 2 major bootloaders for the PineTime:

• The MCUBoot bootloader (used by InfiniTime)
  • The NRF Bootloader (used by Wasp-os)

They provide different functionalities and are based on different software.

The MCUBoot bootloader is 100% open-source and provide  a minimal set of functionalities : firmware upgrade (the upload of the new firmware is done by the application firmware, InfiniTime for example), manual revert to the previous version of the firmware, really basic UI.

The NRF bootloader is based on closed-source software from Nordic Semi and provide more functionalities like OTA (firmware upload via BLE). This bootloader is tightly coupled to the NRF SoftDevice BLE stack (closed source as well).

Both bootloaders are incompatible (a firmware built for one cannot run on the other one).

Why do we need a new version of the MCUBoot bootloader?
To improve it! The version that is currently programmed at the factory is the very first version we released. Since then, we found some bugs and found out we needed a bit more functionalities and reliability.

The most visible additions to this new version are :
  • The possibility to force revert to the previous version of the firmware
  • The possibility to install a recovery firmware from the external flash memory. This firmware can be useful if you installed a firmware that does not support OTA, for example.
  • Simple UI
  • The bootloader displays its own version and exports it to the application.

In the end, the goal is to be confident enough in this bootloader to advise users of sealed PineTimes to update their device. And maybe apply the new bootloader at production level too.

How to test it?
The code of the new bootloader is available on github. It contains the code of the bootloader extracted from Lup's repo.

The file README.md explains how the bootloader works and provides pictures of the UI.

The release page contains one test release.

If you have a devkit, a SWD debugger and if you know how to restore you device in case of issue, you can try to apply the update as explained on the release page.

If you don't have a SWD setup, don't know how to use it to reflash your device from scratch or if you use a sealed device, please, do not apply this update and wait for an actual release of the bootloader !

What should be tested?
  • The update procedure from a device coming out of factory (factory bootloader + InfiniTime 0.7.1) : First update the bootloader, then flash the recovery firmware, then use your PineTime
  • The OTA procedure (update InfiniTime)
  • The revert procedure
  • The recovery procedure
  • The switching procedure to/from InfiniTime and wasp-os

And report issues, comments, questions, feedbacks and successes on this post, or in the github repo!

[EDIT 01/01/2021] : Test degraded cases
The release page now contains 3 test firmwares that can be applied to test degraded cases that could happen during the OTA:
  • testfw-random-dfu.zip : this firmware contains only random data instead of executable code. This could happen if the user applied a DFU file that is not intended to be run on a Pinetime. In this case, the bootloader will apply the upgrade, notice that it's not runnable and will automatically revert to the previously running firmware.
  • testfw-no-validate-no-watchdog.zip : this firmware displays a yellow InfiniTime logo. It does not validate the firmware and does not refresh the watchdog. It simulates a firmware that crashes and that is not able to refresh the firmware. The watchdog will reset the device and MCUBoot will revert to the previously running firmware.
  • testfw-validate-wdt-no-ota.zip : This firmware does refresh the watchdog AND automatically validate the version. It means that to the point of view of MCUBoot, the firmware is working fine! BUT... this bad firmware does not provide the OTA and the reset functionality. This is one of the worst degraded case : the bootloader cannot do anything! The only workaround is to wait for the battery to drain completely and then charge the PineTime again. This is reset the CPU and offer the possibility to force a firmware revert during the next boot.
  • The worst of the worst degraded cases is one where the new firmware erase or overwrite the bootloader and/or the recovery firmware with invalid data. In this case, the device is totally bricked and can only be recovered using SWD (meaning the device must be opened).

Thanks!

Fingerprint Reader
Posted by: Volker Weißmann - 12-27-2020, 08:27 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (1)

Why doesn't the Pinephone come with a fingerprint reader? This is a real dealbreaker.

Favorite OS for Pinephone64
Posted by: anty - 12-26-2020, 08:44 PM - Forum: SailfishOS on PinePhone - Replies (1)

I was playing with this SD card loaded with over a dozen OSs. Ubuntu Touch was running great, but all calls failed. Some other OSs were making great calls, but had some other rough edges. Is there a general agreement as to what OS is the most pleasing to use? The one the device shipped with had poor call quality. Thanks!

Latest build, cant use top menu
Posted by: Cree - 12-26-2020, 07:40 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - No Replies

Items like Bluetooth, wifi etc cant be clicked? Only stuff like rotate and brightness. Whats up with that?