Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,094
» Latest member: WilliamThompson
» Forum threads: 15,673
» Forum posts: 114,521

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
debugging issue realted t...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: tapirsurfeit
2 minutes ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 247
Pinephone Pro + Keyboard ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Hardware
Last Post: AegisWages
6 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 669
Slarm64 on PinePhone [Uno...
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: donchurch
Yesterday, 12:12 PM
» Replies: 37
» Views: 24,735
Bluetooth Handsfree Bount...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: JohnA
Yesterday, 06:03 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 2,018
PinePhone - boot from mic...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: bongosunny
Yesterday, 02:22 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 522
Ghost inputs on volume in...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: SpoiledMilk
04-21-2024, 12:52 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 611
how to use rk2aw-spi-flas...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: Pavlos1
04-21-2024, 04:05 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 112
New Hardware
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Last Post: names_mark_
04-20-2024, 11:01 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 55
Uefi
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: KC9UDX
04-20-2024, 10:08 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 2,270
Install Tow-Boot on the S...
Forum: Pinebook Pro Tutorials
Last Post: alchemist
04-19-2024, 12:20 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 8,074

Exclamation KDE Plasma - cannot answer calls or read received SMS
Posted by: Tenticle - 03-04-2021, 03:38 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (1)

I do get ringing sound for an incoming call and an audio notification for incoming SMS, however, I am unable to answer the calls nor access and read SMSs

Please help Huh

Market Forces and Open Hardware
Posted by: globaltree - 03-04-2021, 01:13 PM - Forum: General - Replies (10)

Let's not forget how the OSI Model lost out to TCP/IP model, because market forces went gnu linux -- cheaper to pay a geek to configure the license-free software than to pay for proprietary licensing.  The market forces ruled the day.

Today, Risc-V has different licensing model than NVidia... how do we know which horse to back?  I read the thread where avid pine64 supporters make a few valid criticisms of risc-v:  just cause cpu is open, doesn't mean manufacturer will have all open components (but that's true of arm too), or that a downstream manufacturer can modify it, and then sell the modified version without open sourcing (well NVidia is already selling arm licenses, so this isn't any worse); or that it's riding the wave of open source popularity (That really isn't technical criticism at all, and sounds like something to say when you don't have any criticism).

Perhaps, in addition to being open, the Risc-V ISA may be better from assembly programmers' pov, if it is more elegantly organized and therefore simpler.
I see that pine64 has a risc-v soldering pinecil already using RiscV (but out-of-stock, of course--this "of course" is a bad rep to have in a market driven world.

I think that finding open hardware, installing linux, creating safe firewall, connecting to openvpn, etc,  is too complicated for the average family.  So I want to do it for them.  My end game is provisioning my local home school community with open-hardware devices running slackware ported to the architecture of said devices, connecting to openvpn, and running services that help the community collaborate safely, and which protect the students from inappropriate content.  And I'm getting older and don't want to wait.  The students are not adequately protected with what they are currently using, and they're getting older too quickly.  (I overheard a five year old talking to his mom's android phone:  "Is the tooth fairy real?"  -- that child needs safe results, or s/he's gonna grow up too fast)

Market forces do play  a factor, such that whichever open hardware  provider gets a product widely available (and not just for developers, and sneak previews) first will get the market share, from developers like me waiting to do stuff with it.  Pine64's "out of stock" thing is admirable from the point of view of keeping pinebook pros affordable--but if last year changed the law of supply and demand, I would prefer that pine64 outbid the competition on lots of 1080 pixel lcds, and keep production going, even if it meant raising the price.  That way, the community can survive.  I've heard lots of demands here for empathy for the developers and the non-profit nature of pine64 -- and I have it, and will be feeling for them if my dollar goes another way because that other way meets my end game first. 

But there's also a certain level of professionalism expected of any organization:  why have this contact page, if emails to sales@pine64.org won't receive responses (not even an auto-response)?  Lack of responses, even during shortages of lcds, will turn developers and prospective assets to the pine64 community away.  

Thus, let's not repeat OSI Model's quest for perfection, because, as they learned, the market doesn't wait.  I'm pretty sensitive.  I think pine64 needs a wakeup call , and this is it.

Looking to buy a used PinePhone CE
Posted by: alontra - 03-04-2021, 11:41 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (4)

Hey all.

I'm interested in buying a second hand (used or not) PinePhone CE (ideally Mobian). Please get in contact with me if you have one available for sale. I can deal with some dead pixels or other minor hardware issues.

Cheers!

Looking to buy a used PinePhone Mobian CE or PineTab
Posted by: alontra - 03-04-2021, 06:33 AM - Forum: General - No Replies

Hey all.

I'm interested in buying a second hand (used or not) PinePhone Mobian CE or a PineTab. Please get in contact with me if you have one available for sale. I can deal with some dead pixels or other minor hardware issues.

Cheers!

Pine Phone Battery Issue
Posted by: vslash - 03-04-2021, 02:25 AM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (21)

Hi,
we experienced a battery charge issue from a fresh new pinephone ; we asked the support team but it seems they cannot solve our trouble, they told us to ask the forum ; so ...

* Summary :
- Phone : "Community Edition Mobian w/ convergence package", RAM 3Go, delivery Feb/2021
- any battery cannot charge correctly (never reach 100%)
- the battery discharge very quickly (few hours without phone usage, OS up and running)
- the battery sensor reports random charge level, can go from 80% to 20% in a minute

* Investigations :
- tried 3 batteries (2 new Samsung, 1 from the Phone)
- tried 3 distrib (Linux Mobian, Manjaro Gnome and KDE, GloDroid)
- tried to boot on USB charger only as asked from support team#4, we got from Mobian :
   * USB Charger :
   - Charger : connected
   - Voltage : N/A
   - Current Limit : 3.0A
   * Battery:
   - Capacity 0%
   - Voltage : from 1.63V to 4.21V randomly

We would appreciated any advises from the  community to identify the origin of this trouble. We think this is an hardware issue and would like to get your point of view ;
many thanks,

How to revert to stock bootloader?
Posted by: nyankat - 03-03-2021, 09:19 PM - Forum: Linux on RockPro64 - Replies (5)

Hi folks, after my troubles installing Debian the other day I decided to try some other distros instead of diving too deep down that rabbit hole just yet.

To my disappointment, I was unable to get any video out the HDMI port on either Manjaro or Armbian.

I think the problem may be the bootloader I flashed to the SPI which doesn't seem to initialize the HDMI display (I get no video during the bootloader, nor during kernel boot).

Is there a microSD image I can use to flash the stock bootloader back so that the board is in the same condition it was as when I got it?

qemu/kvm
Posted by: dawg161 - 03-03-2021, 08:54 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (1)

This is kind of silly, but I wanted to report I got a virtual machine running with QEMU/KVM on my UBPorts CE Pinephone. I'm using Mobian with phosh and Mate installed. Virt-manager did most of the lifting.
With a gig of memory for each OS it isn't speedy, but it does work. My goal was to get the abandoned media player Banshee running on my phone. My vm is Ubuntu 17.04 arm64, installed as Ubuntu Server and then with xorg, xdm, fvwm, pulseaudio, and Banshee.

Petitboot on RockPro64?
Posted by: new_to_arm - 03-03-2021, 05:00 PM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 - No Replies

Has anyone tried using petitboot on this particular SBC; if so, were you able to get it working successfully?  Is anyone aware of a compiled list of instructions for getting that boot loader up and running?  

On a somewhat related note, I haven't been able to get my board to boot from the SD card slot; I've read that I'll need to jumper some cables to bypass eMMC booting, but have no idea what jumping means.  Are there any pictures of what I'd need to do to the board in that situation?  

Thanks

Pine Phone 64 - Indicator Lights specific to distribution?
Posted by: Harry27 - 03-03-2021, 04:14 PM - Forum: PinePhone Software - Replies (1)

Mine:  Pine64 mobian/debian CE, full first update successful...

I've seen green and blue indicator lights, but don't understand what they're signaling. Are these hardware-specific, operating-system (mobian/debian), or application specific?

Thanks

Debian / mobian Pine64 - User Manual?
Posted by: Harry27 - 03-03-2021, 04:02 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (1)

Just received my Pine64 mobian Community Edition, and with Pine64.org forum help, completed the massive first update.
Lovin' it.
   But is there any sort of online User Manual for the mobian edition?  Or do we just rely on Q&A in the Forum?
   And, for "Search" purposes in this forum, I'd ask everyone to BE SPECIFIC in the Thread Subject  - Thanks.

Thanks!