HDMI-DVI
Hey guys,
spending a good whole day on my Pine board (1G) finally got it working, and just realised this board doesn't like HDMI-DVI connection, obviously other users had the same issue, however, they were so many other parameters to be considered, that's why it took so long to get to this point...anyways, I personally prefer to use this board with my monitor instead of a 40-something inches TV, and my monitor doesn't have any HDMI port, I really wanna see some sort of fix or something, I'll be appreciate if someone could keep me posted on this,
Cheers
Amin
(05-23-2016, 08:40 AM)aminhb Wrote: Hey guys,
spending a good whole day on my Pine board (1G) finally got it working, and just realised this board doesn't like HDMI-DVI connection, obviously other users had the same issue, however, they were so many other parameters to be considered, that's why it took so long to get to this point...anyways, I personally prefer to use this board with my monitor instead of a 40-something inches TV, and my monitor doesn't have any HDMI port, I really wanna see some sort of fix or something, I'll be appreciate if someone could keep me posted on this,
Cheers
Amin

A little bit more info would help: are you getting a distorted image? no image at all?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Cheers
Amin

If your monitor has VGA port taht can accept 1080p signal, you also can try using HDMI to VGA connector. For DVI path, sometime work and sometime not, this may due to YUV and RGB conversion.
(05-23-2016, 09:59 AM)Luke Wrote:
Cheers
Amin

A little bit more info would help: are you getting a distorted image? no image at all?
no image at all, monitor will remain on standby mode(no signal found) and there's just a red led on on the board without blinking
(05-24-2016, 09:24 AM)aminhb Wrote:
(05-23-2016, 09:59 AM)Luke Wrote:
Cheers
Amin

no image at all, monitor will remain on standby mode(no signal found) and there's just a red led on on the board without blinking

Could you please check if you can SSH into the Pine ? its good that the red LED stays solid
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-24-2016, 09:58 AM)Luke Wrote: Could you please check if you can SSH into the Pine ? its good that the red LED stays solid

Luke, if you're in »Let's figure out if this board is DOA or not!« mode then it would be helpful if you would suggest the correct steps (eg. »use not a crappy but a good Linux OS image -- the Xenial from longsleep --, connect Ethernet and watch for LED activity on the Ethernet jack«). But if you would read through the threads you reply to all the time you would realize that he figured already out what's wrong: Just his display not being able to show anything since it can't cope with 1080p obviously (read the first post to understand) while Pine64 works flawlessly on the large TV.

So instead of wasting your and others time it would be an idea to adopt the information already known (in the various threads where so much knowledge is available that none of the 'responsible' people starts to collect -- the laughable pine64.pro FAQs are still blank pages and the official FAQ is still solely marketing chit chat) and also adopt the information provided in the threads you reply to?

@aminhb: In case you want to use Linux then check whether your display supports any of the following resolutions:
Code:
480i
576i
480p
576p
720p50
720p60
1080i50
1080i60
1080p24
1080p50
1080p60

If yes, you can set this in uEnv.txt, if not your display won't negotiate a display. No idea about Android/RemixOS -- here you are dependent on 'official' information since Android development happens in a closed manner (unlike Linux where community develops in the open)

BTW: 'DVI display' always sounds like ancient displays with 4:3 aspect ratio. Read from here on what to expect: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...72#pid8772
Add Debian to the list as well as it is a derivative of longsleep's efforts if you are looking for an already prebuilt DE on the image.

BTW tkaiser before you go on rant, everything that is in longsleep's is also included in the Debian images (fbturbo, vdpau, display tool update scripts ). The only thing excluded is the install mate script. The only difference between the two is the Ubuntu Root FS and the Debian Root FS.

Furthermore if people wish to use another distribution ie OpenSuSE, CentOS, Fedora Root FS they are free to do so. Not everyone is a fan of Ubuntu or Debian tkaiser.

The main bits I would say are a requirement at this point is to use longsleep's uboot & kernel builds plus utilize his scripts and if you can contribute to his efforts (a nice fix script is included that can be contributed to) feel free to do so or provide assistance/fixes/code to his pine64-linux efforts.

You can always fork from longsleep's efforts but I would strongly recommend staying within his efforts for the BSP kernel at this point until mainline is ready and capable of providing the working bits (things like usb/ethernet/display etc) for the Pine64.

You can always give a hand over at http://linux-sunxi.org/Main_Page if you have the necessary chops towards the mainline effort.

Check longsleep's github

https://github.com/longsleep/linux-pine64
https://github.com/longsleep/u-boot-pine64
https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image

Further Resources

http://linux-sunxi.org/Main_Page

One more thing a DVI display should not be making one think it is a 4:3 display (or for that matter an ancient display type). DVI connections are still found on many modern screens/televisions utilizing a 16:10 and 16:9 size ratio format too.

Perhaps LG/Sony/Sharp and countless others didn't get your memo mate Wink
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
I'm having the same issue.
I have tried the following images:
- Ubuntu Linux Image [20160502] based on Longsleep build, updated by Pine64
- Debian Linux Jessie with Mate GUI Image [20160508] by lenny.raposo with Longsleep kernel
Both behave the same way.

If I connect the Pine64 to my TV via HDMI the desktop is displayed fine.
If I connect the Pine64 to my Monitor via HDMI-DVI adapter the screen stays blank and goes into standby because no source has been found.
In this case I can still login over SSH.

My displays native resolution is 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz.

It does not support any resolution of the above list but one:
640 x 480 at 75 Hz and 72.809 Hz

I'm happy to provide logs if you could tell me which ones are of relevance.

Thanks for looking into this!
(05-24-2016, 10:35 AM)tkaiser Wrote: BTW: 'DVI display' always sounds like ancient displays with 4:3 aspect ratio. Read from here on what to expect: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...72#pid8772

No, DVI is not ancient.  One of the newer monitors that I own, around 2 years old, has DVI and DisplayPort but no HDMI.

There was a time when the computer industry thought DisplayPort and mini-DisplayPort with HDCP was going to be the next standard, but direction moved to HDMI, mini-HDMI and micro-HDMI instead.

There's just a setting we need to discover that tells the Mali GPU to send HDMI in a slightly different mode.  It could be the EDID handshake, the HDMI protocol version, the audio mode, HDCP, or something else.

Or, worst case, it doesn't exist and I need to go out and buy a cheap HDMI television.
(05-24-2016, 10:35 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-24-2016, 09:58 AM)Luke Wrote: Could you please check if you can SSH into the Pine ? its good that the red LED stays solid

Luke, if you're in »Let's figure out if this board is DOA or not!« mode then it would be helpful if you would suggest the correct steps (eg. »use not a crappy but a good Linux OS image -- the Xenial from longsleep --, connect Ethernet and watch for LED activity on the Ethernet jack«). But if you would read through the threads you reply to all the time you would realize that he figured already out what's wrong: Just his display not being able to show anything since it can't cope with 1080p obviously (read the first post to understand) while Pine64 works flawlessly on the large TV.

So instead of wasting your and others time it would be an idea to adopt the information already known (in the various threads where so much knowledge is available that none of the 'responsible' people starts to collect -- the laughable pine64.pro FAQs are still blank pages and the official FAQ is still solely marketing chit chat) and also adopt the information provided in the threads you reply to?

@aminhb: In case you want to use Linux then check whether your display supports any of the following resolutions:
Code:
480i
576i
480p
576p
720p50
720p60
1080i50
1080i60
1080p24
1080p50
1080p60

If yes, you can set this in uEnv.txt, if not your display won't negotiate a display. No idea about Android/RemixOS -- here you are dependent on 'official' information since Android development happens in a closed manner (unlike Linux where community develops in the open)

BTW: 'DVI display' always sounds like ancient displays with 4:3 aspect ratio. Read from here on what to expect: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...72#pid8772

It's been a while, my apologies and thanks for the replies. unfortunately my monitor is 1680x1050 which is not among the longsleeps's supported resolutions, fortunately I SSHed and ran vnc on it, it works like a clock, and as you mentioned longsleep's Xenial version is pretty stable. I backed Nexdock few months ago specifically for this board, hopefully pine will be compatible with it (I reckon Pine guys suggested Nexdock in one of their updates during their KS campaign). anyways , (back to the topic) if still they're any other ways other than buying a new monitor with HDMI port or longsleep's patch or HDMI-VGA instead of HDMI-DVI converter, I'm all ears guys. Cheers and thank you ALL.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad HDMI to DVI Color issues? leatherlips 5 14,885 10-09-2017, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Would HDMI screen for Raspberry PI work? dhewko 1 3,349 07-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Exclamation HDMI 1024 x 600 mus1c 4 6,067 01-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Last Post: mus1c
  HDMI issues rahlquist 35 44,307 12-24-2016, 02:20 AM
Last Post: sboyce
  Monitor no output (through HDMI to DVI adaptor) gam01hr 10 14,461 11-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Armbian User
  HDMI CEC ayufan 15 19,117 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Last Post: ayufan
  HDMI to VGA adapter for Android PineA64 tech support setup MarkHaysHarris777 0 2,351 08-06-2016, 12:47 PM
  hdmi_group CEA or DMT hdmi group specify uEnv.txt MarkHaysHarris777 2 4,882 07-01-2016, 08:23 AM
  No CEC over HDMI? utdrmac 2 5,500 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: utdrmac
  HDMI 3D, ARC + Ethernet Channels? bigmacattack 4 11,830 01-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Last Post: StefanB