Pinebook doesn't charge anymore
Dear folks,

my Pinebook won't charge any more; there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the charger brick though. I followed the advice on this forum for battery problems but that only made things worse but I did discover that indeed its the charger circuit.

For the battery reset, i had to unplug the battery cable while the mains was on but this instantly gave a power loss to the machine so no power was arriving from the power cable and it was just running on fumes so to say of the little that was still in the battery although it showed 0% power. The situation is now that it runs on the fumes but at the same time reports there is no battery :-S

Is this charger part replaceable and what PCB is it? The USB connector on the PCB with the power plug and the SDcard is in working order so i doubt its the cabling between the PCBs. Can I order a new side PCB or do I need to replace the main PCB?

With regards,
Reinoud Zandijk
(08-20-2020, 05:40 AM)Reinoud Wrote: Dear folks,

my Pinebook won't charge any more; there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the charger brick though. I followed the advice on this forum for battery problems but that only made things worse but I did discover that indeed its the charger circuit.

For the battery reset, i had to unplug the battery cable while the mains was on but this instantly gave a power loss to the machine so no power was arriving from the power cable and it was just running on fumes so to say of the little that was still in the battery although it showed 0% power. The situation is now that it runs on the fumes but at the same time reports there is no battery :-S

Is this charger part replaceable and what PCB is it? The USB connector on the PCB with the power plug and the SDcard is in working order so i doubt its the cabling between the PCBs. Can I order a new side PCB or do I need to replace the main PCB?

With regards,
Reinoud Zandijk

You can try the charge from the USB port A port (same side as power plug) can check whether able to charge up. The charging circuit locates at mainboard, changing side board doesn't help. Using multimeter to check your power supply, may be DC jack plug broken.
(08-23-2020, 06:31 PM)tllim Wrote: You can try the charge from the USB port A port (same side as power plug) can check whether able to charge up. The charging circuit locates at mainboard, changing side board doesn't help. Using multimeter to check your power supply, may be DC jack plug broken.

I've checked the DC jack and its OK and the right voltage; I can't seem to find an adapter to charge the laptop using the USB port A. but I doubt its going to matter but I'll keep searching.

So I guess that unless I find the adaptor, and try to charge it over USB, I'm destined to get the new boards as on the store. It does tell its 'Out of stock'! Is there any indication on when it comes back in stock?

With regards,
Reinoud
Regretfully the board i need is out-of-stock! Is there any idea as when or if it will come back? Should I try to upgrade it to a pinebook-pro internally? Is that even possible?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Usuarios pinebook español luis 3 568 09-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Last Post: leperotero
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 0 204 09-01-2020, 03:00 PM
Last Post: sebboh
Smile Pinebook Wallpapers - submissions please! Luke 29 6,798 08-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Last Post: natasha
Sad Disappointment with the Pinebook leperotero 7 1,218 07-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: sujunmin
  Pinebook without stuck or dead pixel Timeo 6 968 06-01-2020, 04:45 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Looking to buy 1080p Pinebook (Western Canada) lonelyparty 0 386 05-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Last Post: lonelyparty
Smile New pinebook owner and user - ideas? trigger 6 1,140 04-29-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: tenderfoot
  pinebook for specific purposes chexmix 5 868 03-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook wont turn on. Keeps blinking power light Taelsdoll 13 3,025 03-07-2020, 03:02 AM
Last Post: hoyd
  Pinebook Clones ? matze79 0 541 02-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Last Post: matze79