The strategic advantages of Phosh for mobile Linux
(08-16-2020, 11:15 AM)poVoq Wrote: I think you are looking at the wrong repositories for Ubports. Their structure is a bit of a mess with stuff on Github and Gitlab, but they are far from inactive. Might not be pre-2017 Canonical levels of development, but it really isn't too bad.

UBports' Gitlab account seems to have other things on it that are different than its Github account. If I look at UBports' Gitlab account, I see 32 completed code commits in "Core" since April 3, 2019. I see mainly bits that are needed for Lomiri in "Core".

Quote:But as implied above the real elephant in the room is the qt / GTK issue. Yes there are some issues with qt, but it is designed to run well on mobile and embedded devices and there is already a good catalogue of mobile apps running on qt. GTK on the other hand isn't optimized for mobile AFAIK and the main developers (Red Hat) have not much stake/interest in mobile or embedded Linux. And I personally doubt that trying to get desktop GTK apps into a mobile form factor via libhandy is the right way forward.

I don't see Phosh at that much of a disadvantage in terms of apps. Phosh supports both GTK and Qt apps, plus web apps. Purism has already adapted about 15 desktop GTK programs to run in Phosh, so it can't be too hard to add libhandy classes to existing GTK software and tweak the interface for Phosh. Given that both UBports and postmarketOS have added Anbox, I think it likely that all of the mobile distros running phosh will eventually include Anbox to run Android apps. UBports' OpenStore is currently ahead of Plasma Mobile and Phosh in terms of the number of apps, but both of them are going to catch up, and they are going to have a lot of developers working on adding Kirigami to Qt applications and libhandy to GTK applications.

Yes, Qt and KDE are currently better designed for mobile, but the fact that GNOME accepted libhandy, Calls and Chats as official GNOME projects and has included Hildon for the last decade, shows that GTK/GNOME is not opposed to becoming mobile. In terms of corporate support, IBM/Red Hat just announced that it would end support for KDE on RHEL in 2024, so it is pretty clear that IBM/Red Hat won't be contributing much to KDE in the future and Canonical has never contributed much to KDE. SUSE still cares about KDE on the desktop, but SUSE doesn't care about Plasma Mobile. Phosh is now part of both Fedora and openSUSE, which makes it more likely that the management of IBM/Red Hat and SUSE won't be opposed if their programmers decide to work on making their projects run in Phosh.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The strategic advantages of Phosh for mobile Linux - by amosbatto - 08-16-2020, 01:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 869 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  Linux Kernel development Uturn 10 2,045 11-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  New Zealand network providers mobile data Linux2thabone 3 3,307 08-05-2023, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SchizoPinePhone225
  box86 Actually Works Well on Manjaro Phosh/xfce jakfish 0 642 07-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  US Mobile, via T-Mobile, won't support Pinephone Pro - SOLVED, SIMPLY jovval 10 3,314 07-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jovval
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,396 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 716 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  Cannot call at several mobile phones Gon 3 1,351 05-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Gon
  Phosh - Tweaks and Customizing mikehenson 0 1,490 01-07-2023, 01:35 PM
Last Post: mikehenson
  No sms receival on Arch Phosh Pinephone pineuser0 2 1,400 10-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Last Post: treebeard