Pinebook Pro not Booting at All eMMC or MicroSD
(06-14-2020, 05:14 AM)tophneal Wrote: Take look on the PBP wiki page. There’s a paragraph concerning using the NVME as your boot drive. I would suggest using pcm720s uboot, there is an image for SPI.

To answer your question about the 3 uboot images, those would be written to specific areas of the emmc. Those lines from  the update script show where they need to go on the emmc. from what i'm understanding of what you're trying to to do pcm720s SPI uboot img will suit you better for booting from NVMe.

I'll investigate the PBP wiki page some.

However, that doesn't clarify to me how one would go about installing 3 .IMG files in pcm720's u-boot at the same exact time?  That should be impossible to the best of my understanding.  So, what order do you do each, and are there some instructions somewhere?
(06-15-2020, 12:41 AM)AstroCEO Wrote: I'll investigate the PBP wiki page some.

However, that doesn't clarify to me how one would go about installing 3 .IMG files in pcm720's u-boot at the same exact time?  That should be impossible to the best of my understanding.  So, what order do you do each, and are there some instructions somewhere?

There's a script, by Arglebargle, also linked there, which will assist in writing the uboot files to your eMMC (where it would be most useful.) You would simply download the 3 img files, set the emmc location in the script and run it.

However, if you're trying to use your NVMe as your boot drive, you'll want to write the .bin file to you SPI, instead of the 3 img files.
(06-15-2020, 08:50 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 12:41 AM)AstroCEO Wrote: I'll investigate the PBP wiki page some.

There's a script, by Arglebargle, also linked there, which will assist in writing the uboot files to your eMMC (where it would be most useful.) You would simply download the 3 img files, set the emmc location in the script and run it.

However, if you're trying to use your NVMe as your boot drive, you'll want to write the .bin file to you SPI, instead of the 3 img files.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense.  You do the script with the three files, or the .bin to SPI.  One or the other, not both.  Thanks, I'll see what I can accomplish.
@tophneal 

So, after some initial troubleshooting, I got the monitor to turn on.  It seems the monitor is working.  However, it doesn't activate properly on boot.  The only way I can get the laptop screen to activate is by connecting to a TV through USB-C, and mirroring.  Then, I have to restart or restart and unplug the USB-C dongle.

It seems the OS was booting all along.  The monitor is just not activating right...

Also, the WiFi is showing no available networks in the GUI or "nmtui".  It isn't showing anything at all during startup.  I tried a USB Ethernet dongle and also nothing.  The privacy switch has internet activated.

What do you advise to fix these two weird problems?
(06-23-2020, 11:17 AM)AstroCEO Wrote: @tophneal 

So, after some initial troubleshooting, I got the monitor to turn on.  It seems the monitor is working.  However, it doesn't activate properly on boot.  The only way I can get the laptop screen to activate is by connecting to a TV through USB-C, and mirroring.  Then, I have to restart or restart and unplug the USB-C dongle.

It seems the OS was booting all along.  The monitor is just not activating right...

Also, the WiFi is showing no available networks in the GUI or "nmtui".  It isn't showing anything at all during startup.  I tried a USB Ethernet dongle and also nothing.  The privacy switch has internet activated.

I would advise removing the back panel and making sure that the display cables are properly seated, as well as the wifi/antennas. The first part of the most recent batches shipping had QC issues, so likely they aren't seated well.
(06-23-2020, 11:57 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 11:17 AM)AstroCEO Wrote: @tophneal 

I would advise removing the back panel and making sure that the display cables are properly seated, as well as the wifi/antennas. The first part of the most recent batches shipping had QC issues, so likely they aren't seated well.
I reseated the monitor cable with no change to the issue.  Where is the WiFi chipset and antenna located on these?  It didn't seem apparent to me.
(06-23-2020, 01:34 PM)AstroCEO Wrote: I reseated the monitor cable with no change to the issue.  Where is the WiFi chipset and antenna located on these?  It didn't seem apparent to me.

Internal components are shown and listed here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...nal_Layout

There may be an issue with you display itself. If reseating its cable didn't help your display, I'd verify it with trying a few more OS' from SD (take video clips/pics each time you see the flickering,) then open a support ticket with Pine64 and send them those images/videos.
I reseated the WiFi with no change. What do you think would cause a Pinebook Pro to not register any Wifi or Ethernet connections. This isn't the latest batch. It's from the December Debian group.

It showed WiFi previously, but after I did apt-get update & upgrade, and Mr. Fixit2001's update script, I no longer had any connection whatsoever.

Also, I'd love to boot to another device, but no microSD boots have engaged thus far. I've tried like 8 different images with eMMC enabled or disabled, and it never loaded microSD at startup.

(06-26-2020, 09:04 AM)AstroCEO Wrote: I reseated the WiFi with no change.  What do you think would cause a Pinebook Pro to not register any Wifi or Ethernet connections.  This isn't the latest batch.  It's from the December Debian group.

It showed WiFi previously, but after I did apt-get update & upgrade, and Mr. Fixit2001's update script, I no longer had any connection whatsoever.

Also, I'd love to boot to another device, but no microSD boots have engaged thus far.  I've tried like 8 different images with eMMC enabled or disabled, and it never loaded microSD at startup.

So, Ethernet came back one time. I managed to get USB support installed, a couple of simple utilities, and I flashed the SPI with the pcm720 NVMe U-boot binary file. However, I tried to boot to the microSD or NVMe afterwards and still no luck. The device only wants to load the eMMC content period for some reason.
(06-26-2020, 09:04 AM)AstroCEO Wrote: So, Ethernet came back one time. I managed to get USB support installed, a couple of simple utilities, and I flashed the SPI with the pcm720 NVMe U-boot binary file. However, I tried to boot to the microSD or NVMe afterwards and still no luck. The device only wants to load the eMMC content period for some reason.

How does the SPI uboot behave when you try to boot with one of those, while the emmc is switched to disabled?
It just blinks orange and does absolutely nothing with eMMC switch disabled, or even with it removed entirely.  It only boots period with eMMC attached.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,117 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,659 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,174 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,255 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 89,343 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 424 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,290 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,370 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,992 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Issue with booting Manjaro from encrypted NVMe drive on pbp Cs137 1 983 08-18-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez