PINE A64 EmulationStation a Flop? Or I'm noob?
Hi all,

So i have Ubuntu install on the pine as well as retroarch and emulationstation. If version is needed to help ill post it later.
Everything is running, but the performance and small issues are killing me. 

Retroarch: seem to have been installed properly however when i launch it, the menu appears and no controller, keyboard or mouse seems able to move it at all.search the web and tryu to change the conf regarding the to set all the possible values, result = 0 .... input_driver = "udev"

Emulationstation: running but as it enter everything is so dam slow, the controllers didnt work properly i was able to set some buttons, but not all it seem it didnt respond... try other remotes same situation. was able to set the keyboard perfectly. but the perfomance of the menu is awful and not responding it seams.,,,,

So i dont know if is the OS, the conf, the pine or the user :Tongue HELP???? Huh Huh Huh Huh
What microSD card are you using?
Sandisk class 10.
Read this thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=681

You are most likely having problems with random I/O.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Board: Pine A64+ 2GB board.
MicroSD: Samsung Evo/+ 32/64GB
(05-07-2016, 10:40 PM)SkimMilk Wrote: Read this thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=681

You are most likely having problems with random I/O.

I'm not so sure about that... 

Sandisk class 10
Warning: Only 60873 of 60874 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 13.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Not the brightest of speed but not too bad I'll say. 

Besides Ubuntu already tried Arch linux and Debian, no luck because of the nivia package Sad, remix OS is a bit buggish and I don't to want go to android. 

So kinda of stuck Sad, maybe I'll use it to make a web server then its a shame...
Test with crystal disk mark instead of h2w. H2w is a capacity tester, while crystal is a bench mark tester for the various writing methods. From that you will know that random I/O is crazy slow on this card.

Board: Pine A64+ 2GB board.
MicroSD: Samsung Evo/+ 32/64GB
Tried retropie on my rpi3 with the same card and it went perfect. Smile. Also tried another one with 128 GB with the same image some ShLt on Pine64.

Did anyone tried retroarch and emulatiostation with pine64 if so what Linux distro did you tried with. Thanks.
(05-06-2016, 06:17 PM)Hoarfen Wrote: Hi all,

So i have Ubuntu install on the pine as well as retroarch and emulationstation. If version is needed to help ill post it later.

Retroarch: seem to have been installed properly however when i launch it, the menu appears and no controller, keyboard or mouse seems able to move it at all.search the web and tryu to change the conf regarding the to set all the possible values, result = 0 .... input_driver = "udev"

Emulationstation: running but as it enter everything is so dam slow, the controllers didnt work properly i was able to set some buttons, but not all it seem it didnt respond... try other remotes same situation. was able to set the keyboard perfectly. but the perfomance of the menu is awful and not responding it seams.,,,,

So i dont know if is the OS, the conf, the pine or the user :Tongue HELP???? Huh Huh Huh Huh

Hey 

What controller are you using ? - if xbox360, then did you download the xbox controller driver ? 

Regarding performance, you will have to wait a little bit for the devs to harness the power of mali on Pine64 ... on the Pi you have the OpenGL driver (I think its OpenGL ES?), hence the difference in performance. 

For the time being, why not give android/ remix os emulation a go ? -- works pretty good Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-11-2016, 04:37 PM)Luke Wrote:

Hey 

What controller are you using ? - if xbox360, then did you download the xbox controller driver ? 

Regarding performance, you will have to wait a little bit for the devs to harness the power of mali on Pine64 ... on the Pi you have the OpenGL driver (I think its OpenGL ES?), hence the difference in performance. 

For the time being, why not give android/ remix os emulation a go ? -- works pretty good Smile

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. 
Using some generic ones (similar to nes controller) and a ps3 with cable (only try this one on ubuntu).

Yeah i'm doing that Smile, wait a bit more for the guru's. Regarding the android/remix I preferred to buy the pi3 and its working perfectly till now. So I'm going to use the pine a64 for other project, but will try to do this is linux after some other updates from dev comes along, I saved the images so it will be easy to revert back to any try i did on the pass.
(05-12-2016, 03:14 AM)Hoarfen Wrote:
(05-11-2016, 04:37 PM)Luke Wrote:

Hey 

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. 
Using some generic ones (similar to nes controller) and a ps3 with cable (only try this one on ubuntu).

Yeah i'm doing that Smile, wait a bit more for the guru's. Regarding the android/remix I preferred to buy the pi3 and its working perfectly till now. So I'm going to use the pine a64 for other project, but will try to do this is linux after some other updates from dev comes along, I saved the images so it will be easy to revert back to any try i did on the pass.

The Gurus are hard at work - just wait a few months (remember that the Pi has been out for years!) 
Good you've saved the work you've done on the images; would you mind sharing the process you went through to get retroarch+ emulationstation (particularily interested in the latter) working on the ubuntu img ? If you've written code, did you submit it to Github ? 
Good work! Its a start Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  android games playing on pine 64 running Remix os mbjpine64 1 4,645 09-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Last Post: hrlmbtz
  Pine A64 - Android Game station project octopus 22 37,586 07-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Last Post: octopus
Big Grin My pine is ready to ship! What's the status on emulation? pqueiro 0 3,080 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pqueiro
  Got my Pine 64 today KryPtAlIvIaN 48 68,973 05-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Last Post: tkaiser