Kickstarter IS NOT A STORE!!! (just my 2 cents)
You didn't purchase a board

There is no warranty.

you can't return it.

They'll probably swap it out if you got a bad one, though.... it happens.

I keep seeing posts and comments about not being happy with their purchase and wanting to return their product.

Kickstarter is not a store.... it's an investment portal.

That's why we're called "backers" not customers....  That's why they're called "Rewards" not sales.

and.... like every other investment opportunity in the free market, it comes with risks...
  • the board may not work
  • the board may not be delivered on schedule
  • it may not do all the initial project had hoped
  • it may get lost in the mail
  • etc, etc, etc.

you did not buy a product... you invested in a group of people that had an idea with the hopes that your investment would yield a $15 linux computer.

NOTE:  this was my 1st KickStarter investment...
*slow clap*

Cool story bro.
I agree. The problem with inexpensive SBCs that got funding through Kickstarter is that you end up with a significant number of novices that have never experienced an SBC, or have a couple RaspberryPis. RaspberryPis cost more because they have a programmers on staff to develop the OSes. I've played with several SBCs over the last couple years, the cheaper ones generally don't have the resources to develop their own OSes completely, take the OrangePi, its a great little piece of hardware for $15 but not much manufacturer support, but thanks to community projects like Armbian.com, my OPi is almost ready to be a reliable desktop PC replacement.

These are hobby boards, they are new, the CHIP Kickstarter project is still working on getting all the drivers that can utilize the hardware (which might help us since their SoC has a single core Mali400, Pine64 has dual core), the Pine64 in particular is running a pretty recent variant of Linux (arm64) so it takes a while to port software and drivers to utilize the hardware fully, most other hobby boards including later RaspberryPis (except Pi3) and OrangePi are 32bit armhf linux computers.

If you backed this project and expected a fully working computer out of the box, then I have seen a few members of the forum offer to purchase your Pine64 from those who are dissatisfied, maybe that is an option for you. Or put it up on Ebay, I see a few up there now.
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
(05-02-2016, 03:11 PM)DaveyDarko Wrote: ...

If you backed this project and expected a fully working computer out of the box, then I gave seen a few members of the forum offer to purchase your Pine64 from those who are dissatisfied, maybe that is an option for you. Or put it up on Ebay, I see a few up there now.

Great Idea... 

I've got the 2GB board, I wouldn't mind rounding out my collection with a 512MB and 1GB boards....
I can use them for testing our Debian-based distro

If anyone reading this thread is looking to sell yours, send me a PM...

-rob
(05-02-2016, 03:45 PM)rhkean Wrote: Great Idea... 

I've got the 2GB board, I wouldn't mind rounding out my collection with a 512MB and 1GB boards....
I can use them for testing our Debian-based distro

If anyone reading this thread is looking to sell yours, send me a PM...

-rob

I also have the 2GB board, and maybe in a couple weeks (broke right now) when I have some more cash I might be willing to purchase a few boards from dissatisfied backers. It's the least expensive arm64 board available currently.
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
While I agree with some of what you said, I believe that the real problem is that people do not understand what they are buying --- or in this case bought. These boards, at this stage in time, are essentially development kits. They are aimed at devs and enthusiasts - hence people who really understand what a Beta-build means and understand that certain things will not work right out of the box(for a while in some instances). This isn't a phone you buy in a store or a set-top box for watching media; this is a platform for development and tinkering.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-02-2016, 05:32 PM)Luke Wrote: While I agree with some of what you said, I believe that the real problem is that people do not understand what they are buying --- or in this case bought. These boards, at this stage in time, are essentially development kits. They are aimed at devs and enthusiasts - hence people who really understand what a Beta-build means and understand that certain things will not work right out of the box(for a while in some instances). This isn't a phone you buy in a store or a set-top box for watching media; this is a platform for development and tinkering.

Agreed however it was marketed in a way to sound like it was ready for whatever you wanted to throw at it. I knew what was coming but most....
(05-02-2016, 05:32 PM)Luke Wrote: While I agree with some of what you said, I believe that the real problem is that people do not understand what they are buying --- or in this case bought. 

You've missed the main point I was trying to make...

You, nor me, nor anyone of the other 36000+ backers BOUGHT anything... That's why they're called rewards....  

it equates to this:

"For your investment of at least $X, we will send you a SOMETHING of your choice from this list of SOMETHINGS.  For what ever TIER you invest at, you may choose a REWARD from that tier or a lower rewards tier."

I INVESTED $29 in the project.  As a reward for my backing, I got a Pine A64+ (2GB) board.
(05-02-2016, 06:02 PM)rhkean Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 05:32 PM)Luke Wrote: While I agree with some of what you said, I believe that the real problem is that people do not understand what they are buying --- or in this case bought. 

You, nor me, nor anyone of the other 36000+ backers BOUGHT anything... That's why they're called rewards....  

it equates to this:

"For your investment of at least $X, we will send you a SOMETHING of your choice from this list of SOMETHINGS.  For what ever TIER you invest at, you may choose a REWARD from that tier or a lower rewards tier."

I INVESTED $29 in the project.  As a reward for my backing, I got a Pine A64+ (2GB) board.

You are right, of course, I did miss your point; and of course you are right in some respect. Some people clearly do not understand what KS is and its function. But I still believe my argument stands. People don't know what they are really backing - and that is on them. I know next to nothing about, say, 3D printers - and I would not back a 3D printer just because it would be advertised as revolutionary, better than commercially available products or whatever. I would have done research.

[edit] As a side note - I feel that the Pine64 has not only lived up, but also exceeded my expectations, and I do not understand why people wish to return it ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-02-2016, 06:16 PM)Luke Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 06:02 PM)rhkean Wrote:

it equates to this:

You are right, of course, I did miss your point; and of course you are right in some respect. Some people clearly do not understand what KS is and its function. But I still believe my argument stands. People don't know what they are really backing - and that is on them. I know next to nothing about, say, 3D printers - and I would not back a 3D printer just because it would be advertised as revolutionary, better than commercially available products or whatever. I would have done research.

[edit] As a side note - I feel that the Pine64 has not only lived up, but also exceeded my expectations, and I do not understand why people wish to return it ...

AGREED!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Retail Store Availability jcarroll53 22 37,463 11-20-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Khinkhwab
  Won't power on/boot -- kickstarter A64 2GB fuzzycuffs 3 6,225 02-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Last Post: GaryFunk
  Problems with Kickstarter Pledge danphuong34k 1 2,911 12-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Wizardknight
  Store george 7 9,647 12-07-2016, 01:34 AM
Last Post: KnReLe
  problem connecting to Pine 64 store stephen fleming 2 4,260 09-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Post: stephen fleming
  No board in Kickstarter shipment romildio 12 14,885 07-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Last Post: rtwk
  Pine64 store discount blktiger 0 2,464 06-20-2016, 09:48 PM
Last Post: blktiger
  Kickstarter number RMcKinney 2 3,715 06-16-2016, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RMcKinney
  PINE64 Price after kickstarter campaign eulalio 1 3,261 03-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Last Post: tllim
  what if not purchased thru kickstarter? whttrsh 5 6,419 03-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Last Post: peterz