Rock64 Long Term stability
Hi All, 

We are using rock64 v2 for a big roll out in every part of the world in our product.  Our product runs 365x24x7 and we have some questions about long term stability of rock64 hardware.

Our hardware configuration: Rock64 (2GB) with Forsee eMMC and Bluetooth Dongle (StarTek) and rock64 recommended wifi dongle and with some other USB interfaces.

1. We would like to know what is the max number of days the rock64 ran with some applications are running with max of 2 cores are being used at all times without rebooting/shutting down and powering up?

2. If we run continuously, is it tend to slow down the processing?

3. Do we need to take any precautions to run this hardware 365x24x7?

We have some observations (not concrete), but we would like to know what is the capacity of the rock64 to run 365x24x7.

Thanks,
Ram
(12-09-2019, 10:59 AM)ramprasad Wrote: Hi All, 

We are using rock64 v2 for a big roll out in every part of the world in our product.  Our product runs 365x24x7 and we have some questions about long term stability of rock64 hardware.

Our hardware configuration: Rock64 (2GB) with Forsee eMMC and Bluetooth Dongle (StarTek) and rock64 recommended wifi dongle and with some other USB interfaces.

1. We would like to know what is the max number of days the rock64 ran with some applications are running with max of 2 cores are being used at all times without rebooting/shutting down and powering up?

2. If we run continuously, is it tend to slow down the processing?

3. Do we need to take any precautions to run this hardware 365x24x7?

We have some observations (not concrete), but we would like to know what is the capacity of the rock64 to run 365x24x7.

Thanks,
Ram

I run a weather site on my r64 and have for a couple of years, the only time it's failed is because I had a black out and the UPS went out before the power came back on. I haven't noticed any slow down problems due to uptime.

I also have a couple of small heat sinks on it so thermal limits (~83C) aren't being hit and getting the CPU throttled as a result.
About a month ago I got the full IRI node running on the Rock64. Lots of people asked me to post statistics of the current node.
But the truth is that I still struggle to make it run stable. As I already told in my previous story, I had no Linux nor real programming experience at all when I started this journey. This makes it particularly difficult to debug what’s going on when something crashes.
But slowly but steady I’m getting closer to my goal of running a stable full node on the Rock64. To give you all an idea of why it takes so long, and share my experiences so far, I decided to write it down, so that nobody has to undertake the same tedious things I did.

Hilariously I logged into today as I'm looking for some advice on (USB) hardware testing related to reliability https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13393

I don't have a lot of uptime to give a definitive response but happy to share anecdotes.

I have one rock64 v2 board (Armbian) that's been up up for 4 months, with a docker container that was also up for 4 months (I finally updated the container a couple of days ago to get a new version of PiHole). I rely on this board for my DNS.

I have another board ayufan (see linked post above) - I think the longest uptime its had was 2 months.

Out of curiosity what OS/distro are you running? I definitely recommend Armbian https://www.armbian.com/rock64/ even though its not officially supported, its been great for me.

In terms of advice, definitely monitor temperature.
(03-14-2021, 06:24 PM)clach04 Wrote: Hilariously I logged into today as I'm looking for some advice on (USB) hardware testing related to reliability https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13393

I don't have a lot of uptime to give a definitive response but happy to share anecdotes.

I have one rock64 v2 board (Armbian) that's been up up for 4 months, with a docker container that was also up for 4 months (I finally updated the container a couple of days ago to get a new version of PiHole). I rely on this board for my DNS.

I have another board ayufan (see linked post above) - I think the longest uptime its had was 2 months.

Out of curiosity what OS/distro are you running? I definitely recommend Armbian https://www.armbian.com/rock64/ even though its not officially supported, its been great for me.

In terms of advice, definitely monitor temperature.

Armbian OS is probably the most stable of all. The only time I need to take the server down is for maintenance. It's running 24/7.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 45 Today, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,390 Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,752 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 233 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,734 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,734 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,356 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,927 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 690 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 891 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267