A Key cap has fallen off. How do I refit it?
Hi all,

Really enjoying my PineBook Pro, I don't mind working around a few niggles here and there and I appreciate the hard work that has gone into this (and is still going into this!).  It's genuinely a lovely device.

I have just one issue that's a show-stopper:  A key cap (or is it 'keycap'?) has fallen off, for no obvious reason, and I can't work out how to refit it. It's not had much use and I'm not a keyboard thumper, so it's a bit disappointing, but enough moaning - how do I get it back in place?

The scissor-type mechanism is still attached to the underside of the key cap (see attached image), and I can see that a part of it must slide under a metal hook-type piece on the keyboard... but I can't figure out how to manage that.

Has anyone else had to do this?  Please help!
I know some people were planning to move their key caps around, instead of waiting for the ANSI keyboard I assume - anyone done that yet?  If so, shout up.

If it's not possible to refit it (& I really hope it is!), is this a warranty-type situation?
Thanks, all, for your help.
Bicko.

Attached Files
.jpg   Keycap-PineBookPro.jpg (Size: 216.35 KB / Downloads: 480)
If you can't put it back (I only did that once and could press it right back down) make a support ticket...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
@Bicko 

Based on your message and the picture you attached, the plastic hinge is still attached to the key cap. 

Using this reference: 
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001244.htm

It looks like the plastic hinge should carefully removed from the key cap, then installed onto the keyboard. The face of the hinge you see on the key cap would be the face attaching to the keyboard.

It looks like the bottom piece of the hinge fits under the hooks, while the top slot would side under that curved flat spring above the rubber cup.

Then once that is attached, you should be able to reattach the key cap by putting the cap onto the hinge assembly and pressing down evenly on all four corners of the key cap.

Good luck!
(11-19-2019, 09:48 PM)hmuller Wrote: @Bicko 

Based on your message and the picture you attached, the plastic hinge is still attached to the key cap. 

Using this reference: 
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001244.htm

It looks like the plastic hinge should carefully removed from the key cap, then installed onto the keyboard. The face of the hinge you see on the key cap would be the face attaching to the keyboard.

It looks like the bottom piece of the hinge fits under the hooks, while the top slot would side under that curved flat spring above the rubber cup.

Then once that is attached, you should be able to reattach the key cap by putting the cap onto the hinge assembly and pressing down evenly on all four corners of the key cap.

Good luck!

I have the same problem with key "A" I can out bck in but it it a bit loose and pops out after a couple of presses.
(11-20-2019, 06:11 AM)bolinches Wrote: I have the same problem with key "A" I can out bck in but it it a bit loose and pops out after a couple of presses.

Is the plastic hinge attached to the key cap when it pops off like OP? If so, you can attempt the suggested solution above. If not, I would encourage you to follow xalius's advice and open a support ticket.
Using this reference: 
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001244.htm ...
Thanks hmuller, that's exactly my situation.  I'm reticent to dismantle the key further; I'm not saying I won't do it if I have to, but I seem to remember Lukasz saying not to remove the mechanism from the key - this was way back in August on the Telegram/Matrix thingy. Back then it was a discussion about swapping/moving the keycaps.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has done that before I try to go any further.

(11-20-2019, 06:11 AM)bolinches Wrote: I have the same problem with key "A" I can out bck in but it it a bit loose and pops out after a couple of presses.
Not an ideal user experience!
I notice my 'tab' key is sometimes sticking down, on its top right corner, if I don't press it centrally. I really hope this isn't a warning sign.
I love this device, aside from the keycaps issue.
(11-21-2019, 03:08 AM)Bicko Wrote:
Using this reference: 
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001244.htm ...
Thanks hmuller, that's exactly my situation.  I'm reticent to dismantle the key further; I'm not saying I won't do it if I have to, but I seem to remember Lukasz saying not to remove the mechanism from the key - this was way back in August on the Telegram/Matrix thingy. Back then it was a discussion about swapping/moving the keycaps.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has done that before I try to go any further.

I notice my 'tab' key is sometimes sticking down, on its top right corner, if I don't press it centrally. I really hope this isn't a warning sign.

Not ideal, I agree. I opened a ticket. First answer is that I try to re-attach with some angle, I will follow the process (which I tried multiple times before that answer from support) and lets see how it goes.

Attached Files
.jpg   photo_2019-11-20_14-19-29.jpg (Size: 176.5 KB / Downloads: 428)
.jpg   photo_2019-11-20_14-19-17.jpg (Size: 212.7 KB / Downloads: 434)
After some back and forth on the ticket, I got a nice video https://vimeo.com/97180298

While I was doing that I noticed that the two little pins on the bottom were loose in my laptop .... I little it of bit of carefully bending and .... fixed.

EDIT: Added picture

Attached Files
.jpg   photo_2019-11-26_17-12-47.jpg (Size: 219 KB / Downloads: 431)
(11-21-2019, 03:08 AM)Bicko Wrote:

My tab key has come off two times. Not the plastic hinge, only the key.
Not sure if I press it on the edges but I'll pay more attention from now on and try to press it centrally.
I've managed to press the key gently back on both times.
(11-26-2019, 09:07 AM)bolinches Wrote: After some back and forth on the ticket, I got a nice video https://vimeo.com/97180298

While I was doing that I noticed that the two little pins on the bottom were loose in my laptop .... I little it of bit of carefully bending and .... fixed.

EDIT: Added picture

You beauty! Thanks so much for the info. I have some free time later this evening, I'll give it a go and report back.
Thanks again.

(11-26-2019, 02:14 PM)pontux_se Wrote: My tab key has come off two times. Not the plastic hinge, only the key.
Not sure if I press it on the edges but I'll pay more attention from now on and try to press it centrally.
I've managed to press the key gently back on both times.

That's interesting, makes me wonder what mine is doing but I hope to not find out.
It's a bit of a shame to have to remember how to 'type around' the issue, especially when your mind needs to be focused on the task you're working on.
I also recently noticed that the Enter key is behaving in a similar way to the tab... almost sticking down on the edge; I wonder if it's a leverage thing, with those keys being somewhat larger than the 'normal' keys. Mine is the ISO keyboard.