Being on Mrfixit2001 V1.4: Unable to boot from SD card
This is a bit different from the other 'cant boot from sd' threads, I think. It seems other people's boot problems have been solved by updating to mrfixit's os version V1.4. But I am on this version. 
So this is what happened:
I dd'd mrfixit's debian image to the SD card. Synced multiple times. When shutting down and trying to boot from SD card, it didn't came up. I waited about 10 minutes, but nothing happened. After booting from eMMC and inserting the SD card, I could see that the root file system has been expanded to 64G. So I guess it started booting from SD card , but got stuck at some point. Any ideas what might be the problem here?
(11-17-2019, 11:10 AM)vfr400racer Wrote: This is a bit different from the other 'cant boot from sd' threads, I think. It seems other people's boot problems have been solved by updating to mrfixit's os version V1.4. But I am on this version. 
I dd'd mrfixit's debian image to the SD card. Synced multiple times. When shutting down and trying to boot from SD card, it didn't came up. I waited about 10 minutes, but nothing happened. After booting from eMMC and inserting the SD card, I could see that the root file system has been expanded to 64G. So I guess it started booting from SD card , but got stuck at some point. Any ideas what might be the problem here?

"I could see that the root file system has been expanded to 64G. So I guess it started booting from SD card". Very good observation!

The journal is unfortunately not persistent. Make it persistent in /etc/systemd/journald.conf of the SD card and boot one more time.

(11-17-2019, 11:25 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 11:10 AM)vfr400racer Wrote: This is a bit different from the other 'cant boot from sd' threads, I think. It seems other people's boot problems have been solved by updating to mrfixit's os version V1.4. But I am on this version. 

"I could see that the root file system has been expanded to 64G. So I guess it started booting from SD card". Very good observation!

The journal is unfortunately not persistent. Make it persistent in /etc/systemd/journald.conf of the SD card and boot one more time.

I think, Mrfixit's OS has sshd enabled and a default password. Can you ssh into the failed boot and look around?

I think, Mrfixit's OS has sshd enabled and a default password. Can you ssh into the failed boot and look around?

I set "Storage=persistent" on the sd cards's journald.conf. After booting /var/log/messages ends with

Nov 17 15:01:48 Debian-Desktop kernel: [    6.072196] wl_run_escan: LEGACY_SCAN sync ID: 0, bssidx: 0
Nov 17 15:01:49 Debian-Desktop kernel: [    6.820847] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resizing filesystem from 1280000 to 15559168 blocks
Nov 17 15:01:49 Debian-Desktop kernel: [    7.025774] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resized filesystem to 15559168

Assuming system time is somehow ok, this entry is from my first boot from the sd card. boot process never started kernel afterwards (that is my interpretation).
When mounting the sd card, I get this in my /var/log/messages:

FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

Maybe this is the problem during boot?

ad ssh-ing the pinebook: It can't be pinged while 'booting'. So I think the problem occurs very early in the boot process.
(11-17-2019, 12:45 PM)vfr400racer Wrote:

I set "Storage=persistent" on the sd cards's journald.conf. After booting /var/log/messages ends with

Nov 17 15:01:48 Debian-Desktop kernel: [    6.072196] wl_run_escan: LEGACY_SCAN sync ID: 0, bssidx: 0
Nov 17 15:01:49 Debian-Desktop kernel: [    6.820847] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resizing filesystem from 1280000 to 15559168 blocks
Nov 17 15:01:49 Debian-Desktop kernel: [    7.025774] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resized filesystem to 15559168

Assuming system time is somehow ok, this entry is from my first boot from the sd card. boot process never started kernel afterwards (that is my interpretation).
When mounting the sd card, I get this in my /var/log/messages:

FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

Maybe this is the problem during boot?

ad ssh-ing the pinebook: It can't be pinged while 'booting'. So I think the problem occurs very early in the boot process.

I looked at my very first boot messages. I got the same Fat-fs non-recommendation as well as the filesystem resize messages. After that, /var/log/messages continues with the next boot. I assume your problem is in the followup boot.

To see, the boot messages, remove from /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf the tokens "quiet" and "console=ttyS2,1500000n8" and then disable the systemd service _splash via

# ln -s /dev/null  /etc/systemd/system/_splash.service

I think the earliest boot logs are printed to the serial console only. Big mistake if you don't have one Undecided
Thanks for your suggestions, but no luck yet. There is no output on the screen. I guess, I'll have to prepare a serial cable. I'll report back, if I can get some output
from the boot process..

Hi!  Got the same problem.  Here's what you have to do to make it work:

In the file extlinux/extlinux.conf (in the boot partition of the SD card), for PINEBOOKPRO, change this:

Code:
root=PARTUUID=deedbeef-02

...to the real PARTUUID of the root on the SD card.  If you want to know what the PARTUUID is, just use:

Code:
sudo blkid

...and look for /dev/mmcblk0p2

Let me know if that worked for you like it did for me!

Cheers!
(11-17-2019, 05:44 PM)kexkey Wrote:

Hi!  Got the same problem.  Here's what you have to do to make it work:

In the file extlinux/extlinux.conf (in the boot partition of the SD card), for PINEBOOKPRO, change this:

Code:
root=PARTUUID=deedbeef-02

...to the real PARTUUID of the root on the SD card.  If you want to know what the PARTUUID is, just use:

Code:
sudo blkid

...and look for /dev/mmcblk0p2

Let me know if that worked for you like it did for me!

Cheers!

That's it!

But it was not straight forward. I started with a fresh image on the sd card. blkid shows a PARTUUID of "deedbeef-02"
When booting the image, the activity led started blinking for some time. Then the splash came on and then the system hang.
After booting from eMMC and doing a blkid, I could see, that the PARTUUID of the root partition has changed to a random string!
After putting this string into the extlinux.conf file, the pinebookpro booted from sd card.

Many thanks for your help!

PS: I tried the Bionic LXD image in the meantime. This one worked out of the box.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,980 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 994 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,829 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
  2TB SD Card Write Errors jiacovelli 3 962 06-02-2023, 06:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Emergency Mode Boot Hotkey? jiacovelli 20 3,881 06-02-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Tow Boot install help Paulie420 7 3,575 11-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Last Post: myself600
  Resume from suspend not working after flashing Tow-Boot to SPI xp19375 3 1,862 10-31-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Bootloader: SD card boot quirks crazyquark 1 1,000 10-04-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: elitegamercody
  Unable to make a bootable microSD card myself600 15 5,160 09-27-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: myself600