What are your Braveheart hopes, fears & objectives?
(11-15-2019, 05:30 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Started thinking about this when the IR Chat turned to distros just now. I am pretty much distro agnostic - hope my contribution to Braveheart will be to get it towards being a daily driver. At least for me!

My prejudices include:
  • - despising big corporates (Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, IBM ...)
  • - a dislike for any kind of eye-candy that soaks the resources I cherish (memory, bandwidth, ...)

What do I hope to get from Braveheart:
  • - able to make/receive calls
  • - able to send/receive SMS
  • - a workable browser (ideally Firefox) to cover the few Android apps I actually use
  • - able to send/receive Signal messages - calls would be a bonus.
  • - able to tether the mobile broadband to other devices, ideally via the USB-C
In the spirit of the subject - to have Keane as my ringtone Big Grin

I'm hoping postmarketOS will be relatively stable alongside Plasma Mobile.

I'd also hope for a good Web Browser (a stable one, nothing fancy), and a decent set of basic phones apps for SMS, Calls, Calculator, Contacts, And Terminal.

Right now that's probably asking too much of PMOS, but i hope in a few months that wont be the case.
(11-24-2019, 02:12 AM)noeman5 Wrote: I'm looking forward to having a Linux phone in my pocket, something out of the ordinary, something I can tinker with, modify, write apps for.  I want to explore the possibilities.  I think though, if the PinePhone wants to be a commercial success, they will have to upgrade the cameras for the consumer models.  2 megapixels and 5 megapixels are going to be a disappointment to the general consumer.  Even the cheap "burner" phones nowadays are running between 8 and 12 megapixels.  I'll be happy as long as I can send and receive SMS messages and make and receive calls in the areas I frequent.  The area in which I live has very spotty coverage and I spent almost a year jumping from carrier to carrier to finally find one that had a usable signal in all of the places I usually frequent.

The camera pixel limitation due to A64 SoC constraint.
My hopes are similar to others.

Hopes (should be quite easy):
-to get debian/devuan (or any full size distro that is light on resources and with arm chip support, I prefer stable distros) running on pinephone
-pairing it with my bluetooth folding keyboard and make the usb-c to hdmi output work (to screen or projector)
-to disable GNSS and only allow WIFI or Quectel EG-25G by script/setting for better battery performance (I don't need GNSS, and no separate hardware kill switches for them)
-use Xfce (customize everything in UI)

Fears:
-the performance of pinephone would be slow even without multi-tasking (if there will be a pinephone pro with better spec -later I think I will buy it)
-durability of the phone
-battery can not last for a working day
-battery will degrade faster as it has only 3000mAh

I know a lot of people want to have a fully working Linux phone that can replace android phone, but that would require a lot of work and we have to be patient. I would set my objective as "make pinephone running with mainstream distro" first. If I can get it to work with any mainstream distro that would be a good start. Both "distros designed for mobile phone" or "full distros with mobile applications" should work on pinephone.
Since the PinePhone will be the first mobile smartphone I've ever owned.
I'm just hoping I don't get lost in configuration/testing of the Brave Heart edition.

I'm very comfortable using Arch Linux. so that's a bonus. I used to be scared of the terminal when I first used Linux ... lol
Sometimes I get lost reading Wiki's. Wiki sounds somewhat Australian like a Kiwi.

Anyhow I'm always willing to gain more experience. Seeing as this is my first smartphone looking forward to carrying the power of Linux in my pocket.
Pretty sure the hardware will fast enough for this 'old man'.
In general I'm not that fond of touch devices - - prefer the keyboard and mouse.
See that shows my age!
Use case:
I have never bought a smartphone. I have had to use one because of my work, but basically I have lived with a burner phone. The only things I use on the smartphone are the podcast app, whatsapp and the browser occasionally. The basic issues I have with smartphones have to do with the way they are designed to hog your attention. And I mean this in a rather fundamentalist way: I don't like it when a computer reminds me of updates. I basically am allergic to the machine telling me anything if I didn't make the initiative or if it isn't another person somewhere. I stopped using Ubuntu when they put the "recommended app" banner on synaptic (or whatever the package manager was called at that point). So, what I am hoping to get is a phone that does what it is told to do and nothing else. I also would like to not feel like someone's always watching me, so I will probably go tinfoil hat on it at least a bit.

Hopes:
Firefox
Manjaro
Phone functionality
Keyboard that works well with terminal

Fears:
The interest dies down and development fizzles out
Hi mates
Here is the story Big Grin 
I wanted to move to a REAL linux phone or smartphone or whatever .
what am I wainting for
calling, surfing , no google inside , hiking with OSMAND, a good gps/glonass device .
L
I have a Brave Heart ordered,
BUT
When they offer a separate GPS module,
** I Will For sure Order one of those !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I just want a powerful phone with a detachable keeb. Unfortunately none of those will be serviced by the first Pinephone, but with some luck and time, Pine may be able to source parts with enough oomph to provide at least a decent mobile experience with an admittedly somewhat restricted software selection.

It'll be up to The Nerds™ to get more and more software on there.
I think the PinePhone is already off to a great start on software choices, more OSes than probably any other phone. And with Ubuntu Touch, there's not only a not-new store, as well as Anbox. Anbox would give those UT users installation of Android apps.
I had put Ubuntu on a Asus mini touch screen ( I think it was a type of chromebook ?)    Perhaps a dozen or more years back.

It worked very well,  for me at least.

BUT when I think of Android,    I cannot help but think of Google,  and myself,   I prefer to stay as far away from Google as possible. ! ! !

There does appear to be quite a few Linux teams working on Pine phone or Linux on phone operating systems,  They do seem to be making
Progress,  but I have not personally seen any of them claim to be fully functional yet.. ?

SO,  I am not in a huge hurry for Pine to ship my Brave Heart,  
*        I mean I am Very Anxious for it to arrive !    ...  But I am eager to actually use it, and try some operating systems on it.
*         Installing an operating system,  and testing should not be too difficult...
*         BUT writing the systems,  That is above my skill-set.

Eagerly awaiting both  !  Hopefully close together  !
(The New ANSI Pinebook Pro and Pine phone, Brave Heart Edition)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone braveheart (+ Pinebook Pro) for sale (UK, London) chaoskampf 2 1,940 02-14-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: chaoskampf
  Braveheart wrote blank sd to eMMC soy 1 2,377 06-18-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas
  Braveheart PinePhone Mainboard Upgrade bridadan 1 2,450 11-26-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: LazLong
  Pinephone Braveheart UBIPORTS for sale blarbles 0 1,711 09-02-2020, 10:07 AM
Last Post: blarbles
  Pinephone Braveheart edition for sale from Canada Mangled 0 1,872 07-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Mangled
  Braveheart edition for sale in CZ/EU stellirin 1 2,770 07-08-2020, 01:31 AM
Last Post: I.V.
  BraveHeart back case cracking Beattie 25 28,611 06-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Last Post: nas
  Next Pinephone Wish List and BraveHeart Feedback Starlord 0 2,093 02-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Starlord
  Braveheart Reorder? cmoadmin 0 1,643 02-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cmoadmin
  Braveheart Pics and Initial thoughts hockleyj 0 1,802 02-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: hockleyj