What are your Braveheart hopes, fears & objectives?
Started thinking about this when the IR Chat turned to distros just now. I am pretty much distro agnostic - hope my contribution to Braveheart will be to get it towards being a daily driver. At least for me!

My prejudices include:
  • - despising big corporates (Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, IBM ...)
  • - a dislike for any kind of eye-candy that soaks the resources I cherish (memory, bandwidth, ...)

What do I hope to get from Braveheart:
  • - able to make/receive calls
  • - able to send/receive SMS
  • - a workable browser (ideally Firefox) to cover the few Android apps I actually use
  • - able to send/receive Signal messages - calls would be a bonus.
  • - able to tether the mobile broadband to other devices, ideally via the USB-C
In the spirit of the subject - to have Keane as my ringtone Big Grin
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I´m not a programmer so my primary goals when getting the Brave Heart is the following:

-Testing distros and trying to contribute by helping others i the forum, searching and reporting bugs to devs etc.
-Over/undervolting and over/underclocking the SoC in search of limits in what the SoC can do in terms of performance and improving batterylife.
-If necessary, mod the cooling of the SoC for lower temps when overclocking
-Testing apps, both written directly for the Pinephone and others that might not be intended for use on a smartphone.
-Testing drivers, mainly for better graphics performance, and contributing by benchmarking, reporting bugs etc.
-Testing reception for 2G/3G/4G in my area and in any area that I might find myself, reporting to devs.

That´s a start, but I will try and help where I can Smile
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 
My hopes are the following:

1. Get Fedora running on it. Fedora specifically because it is a general purpose distribution, has a good SELinux coverage and I happen to like it.
2. Get video via usb-c working so I can use my phone with a usb-c screen and a keyboard to have a truly mobile workstation.
3. Get a select few android apps running either via some kind of android chroot (like how luneos does it) or virtualization.

Fears:

That getting things to run at it will consume my life.
Honestly, the desire to take a pinephone does not derive from a real need, just to call and text would suit me any type of phone. But I like the idea of being the owner of what I have in my hands, of being able to decide what to do with it, having to surpass only the limits of my knowledge and not the limits imposed by manufacturer as an obstacle to the normal development of our self-determination.

For example, I felt much more "my" android device when I finally could install termux that gave me the illusion of having a more open system.
I've always imagined the user experience of tablets long before apple made them famous, my interface was very similar to that of ubuntu touch well before a hypothesis was made.
Constructively speaking I consider that type of structure better than that of a common computer even though miniaturization has never allowed the same moddability, I think we need standards of form to make everything more compatible and I like the idea of being able to repair things that break.
I don't like it when the software is not developed enough or is deliberately limited not to support the possibilities of the hardware can do and I consider the computing power of current PCs more than enough for most of the things we might want to do, so it also bothers me the race to the last component with the highest performance.
And since the pinephone for me is a pc with more sensors, actuators and features than a normal pc, for me it means to finally have the pc I dreamed of ≈15 years ago.
I think that none of this is possible without an active and enthusiastic community and therefore I hope that this forum like the other meeting points will become a reference for all those who own a pinephone now and maybe tomorrow for all those who own this type of free device not defective by design.
If I can call and text, I'll be happy. I'd like PIM apps too (calendar, contacts, notes), but we'll see how that goes. All of that could really be done old school in a text editor with a few files too. It would also be nice if something like mpg123 worked to play music and podcasts.
Personally, I would have more liked something like this (I would have bought one if it wasn't so expensive):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemin...evice--2#/

Instead of developing silly "foldable screens", a physical keyboard should be re-introduced. Back from my days using Palm devices, I also found a pointed stylus much more accurate and space saving than the modern finger touch systems which, admittedly, were revolutionary when they first appeared.

But then, the fact that the Gemini PDA above only sold some 500 devices in 2 years proves that I am an outsider with these views, so I appreciate that the Pinephone had to be much closer to the kind of devices people have become accustomed to.

But here is another thought:

With a possible storage capacity of 1TB and (hopefully) easy booting into different operating systems from the SD card, we are firmly moving into the direction of convergence, or, as this site

https://maruos.com/

puts it: "The only PC you need is the one in your pocket."

At the moment, Maru OS only supports a handful of devices, but they intend to broaden their base, also to become less dependent on a HDMI connection. This sounds exciting.

Perhaps they should be approached to do some work for the Pinephone?
I'll be glad if I can get an OS running at all Big Grin .  LuneOS? PostmarketOS with plasma Mobile? Sailfish??

And then if we get to the point of making actual calls and I can figure out how to do it, well, you'll find me somewhere over the moon! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(11-15-2019, 05:30 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Started thinking about this when the IR Chat turned to distros just now. I am pretty much distro agnostic - hope my contribution to Braveheart will be to get it towards being a daily driver. At least for me!

My prejudices include:
  • - despising big corporates (Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, IBM ...)
  • - a dislike for any kind of eye-candy that soaks the resources I cherish (memory, bandwidth, ...)

What do I hope to get from Braveheart:
  • - able to make/receive calls
  • - able to send/receive SMS
  • - a workable browser (ideally Firefox) to cover the few Android apps I actually use
  • - able to send/receive Signal messages - calls would be a bonus.
  • - able to tether the mobile broadband to other devices, ideally via the USB-C
In the spirit of the subject - to have Keane as my ringtone Big Grin
                  Exclamation       Smile 
       My biggest Hope for Pine Phone   ?

IS :    That it succeeds  !

and spreads like the Google/Android has  !

addendum :

To be able to talk, text, and connect my Pine book Pro via cell Data.....
since cell modem is part of the GPS module, I will use a cheap pocket GPS if I want to navigate anonymously.
I do not plan on putting my lifes info onto a device that can be easily lost or broken.
The main idea is to escape most of the tracking that is impossible to remove from the rest of the phones on the market
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I like the idea of having a Linux phone (like my N900 was) and I am sad Nokia has abandoned the whole product line years ago.

I saw PinePhone and its price range and I thought it is an interesting project.
I will try the available systems and I am curious where this project goes - I hope it will have success.

My hope is to use "basic" functions like:
- Initiate and accept calls
- Send / Receive SMS
- Ability to use a browser
- Naturally, the ability of use a terminal

I also hope a hardware keyboard accessory will come up as this is the most important thing in addition to a Linux phone.
Typing in a terminal is very frustrating on a touch screen, so some kind of keyboard would be good to have.
I'm looking forward to having a Linux phone in my pocket, something out of the ordinary, something I can tinker with, modify, write apps for. I want to explore the possibilities. I think though, if the PinePhone wants to be a commercial success, they will have to upgrade the cameras for the consumer models. 2 megapixels and 5 megapixels are going to be a disappointment to the general consumer. Even the cheap "burner" phones nowadays are running between 8 and 12 megapixels. I'll be happy as long as I can send and receive SMS messages and make and receive calls in the areas I frequent. The area in which I live has very spotty coverage and I spent almost a year jumping from carrier to carrier to finally find one that had a usable signal in all of the places I usually frequent.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone braveheart (+ Pinebook Pro) for sale (UK, London) chaoskampf 2 1,862 02-14-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: chaoskampf
  Braveheart wrote blank sd to eMMC soy 1 2,307 06-18-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas
  Braveheart PinePhone Mainboard Upgrade bridadan 1 2,387 11-26-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: LazLong
  Pinephone Braveheart UBIPORTS for sale blarbles 0 1,676 09-02-2020, 10:07 AM
Last Post: blarbles
  Pinephone Braveheart edition for sale from Canada Mangled 0 1,834 07-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Mangled
  Braveheart edition for sale in CZ/EU stellirin 1 2,720 07-08-2020, 01:31 AM
Last Post: I.V.
  BraveHeart back case cracking Beattie 25 28,049 06-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Last Post: nas
  Next Pinephone Wish List and BraveHeart Feedback Starlord 0 2,052 02-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Starlord
  Braveheart Reorder? cmoadmin 0 1,618 02-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cmoadmin
  Braveheart Pics and Initial thoughts hockleyj 0 1,767 02-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: hockleyj