Could someone explain the boot partition to me?
Using ayufan's buster minimal image, I noticed uboot seems to ignore the boot partition and instead looks at the boot folder in the root partition.  So if I update extlinux to load additional modules and look at sata for the root partition, it will ignore the changes because the system writes them to the boot partition instead of where uboot actually looks for it.

I have my root moved to an hard drive on sata side and want to use the SD card only for boot, but I seem to be missunderstanding something about how the boot process works.
(11-14-2019, 02:13 AM)Mentaluproar Wrote: Using ayufan's buster minimal image, I noticed uboot seems to ignore the boot partition and instead looks at the boot folder in the root partition.  So if I update extlinux to load additional modules and look at sata for the root partition, it will ignore the changes because the system writes them to the boot partition instead of where uboot actually looks for it.

I have my root moved to an hard drive on sata side and want to use the SD card only for boot, but I seem to be missunderstanding something about how the boot process works.

Yup, when you are running rootfs somewhere other than the SDcard, and using the SDcard to boot, all updates are made to /boot/. You need to duplicate them to the SDcard, I have a little script syncsd to do it for me

Code:
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/
sudo rsync -ax --delete /boot/ /mnt/boot/
cat /mnt/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(11-14-2019, 02:56 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 02:13 AM)Mentaluproar Wrote: Using ayufan's buster minimal image, I noticed uboot seems to ignore the boot partition and instead looks at the boot folder in the root partition.  So if I update extlinux to load additional modules and look at sata for the root partition, it will ignore the changes because the system writes them to the boot partition instead of where uboot actually looks for it.

Yup, when you are running rootfs somewhere other than the SDcard, and using the SDcard to boot, all updates are made to /boot/. You need to duplicate them to the SDcard, I have a little script syncsd to do it for me

Code:
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/
sudo rsync -ax --delete /boot/ /mnt/boot/
cat /mnt/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

There's a way to configure the fstab to point to the SD card so updates and extlinux initramfs changes are put in the right place without a sync command.  I just can't find an example of how and my own attempts just break things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot/Shutdown on timer captainmorgan 8 5,784 11-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Nikolay_Po
Question How do I compile an arbitrary kernel for U-Boot? Valenoern 3 991 06-16-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: CounterPillow
  RockPro64 boot questions misterc 3 1,463 01-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: misterc
  Is some u-boot required on the SPI for installing debian with the official installer? callegar 1 1,273 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Last Post: ratzzupaltuff
  How I Got Fedora Linux to Boot From eMMC (or microSD, for that matter) whitecat23 4 4,081 01-03-2022, 10:32 AM
Last Post: whitecat23
  Overlays not loading at boot - ROCKPRO64 on Armbian rookieone 0 1,275 09-28-2021, 04:10 AM
Last Post: rookieone
Question cannot boot openSUSE - what am I doing wrong? Mentaluproar 2 2,353 08-12-2021, 04:58 AM
Last Post: igorp
  Other boot options than Sdcard for linux 5.x kernel? MisterA 2 2,904 07-14-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Official Debian release won't boot!?! Faradn 4 6,555 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
  Mainline U-Boot with Arch Linux PKGBUILD mmatyas 0 1,970 04-17-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: mmatyas