Modkey + arrow keys not registered by xev
Hello everyone,
Just started working with my new pbp, factory OS.

I'm trying to configure my window manager (awesomewm, but I believe the same problem applies on Mate as well) as I usually do. I like to move around windows and desktops by using combinations that involve the Mod4 key (the pine logo) and the arrow keys.
Unfortunately I've hit a brick wall; it seems that those particular key comps are not picked up at all. When running xev to test them nothing is displayed.

Clicking them separately works, of course.

A quick checkup with xmodmap shows me nothing unusual. What could be the issue? Is it possible to fix it?
(11-09-2019, 11:43 AM)maldus Wrote: Hello everyone,
Just started working with my new pbp, factory OS.

I'm trying to configure my window manager (awesomewm, but I believe the same problem applies on Mate as well) as I usually do. I like to move around windows and desktops by using combinations that involve the Mod4 key (the pine logo) and the arrow keys.
Unfortunately I've hit a brick wall; it seems that those particular key comps are not picked up at all. When running xev to test them nothing is displayed.

Clicking them separately works, of course.

A quick checkup with xmodmap shows me nothing unusual. What could be the issue? Is it possible to fix it?

This bugs me, too.
(11-09-2019, 11:43 AM)maldus Wrote: A quick checkup with xmodmap shows me nothing unusual. What could be the issue? Is it possible to fix it?

Try `gsettings`, looks like that's what the MATE desktop uses for configuring key bindings (and many other things).

I have a script (call it `set-pinebook-pro-keys`, for instance) that does the following:

Code:
gsettings set org.mate.Marco.global-keybindings switch-to-workspace-1 "'<Alt>1'"
gsettings set org.mate.Marco.global-keybindings switch-to-workspace-2 "'<Alt>2'"
# .. and many more --- do `gsetting list-recursively` to get the full list

I then configure the MATE desktop to call that script (`set-pinebook-pro-keys` in this example) on startup. This is only needed in case you want changes to your script to take effect as soon as you log in again. Otherwise settings changed with `gsettings` seem to persist across MATE login sessions.
Quote:Try `gsettings`, looks like that's what the MATE desktop uses for configuring key bindings (and many other things).

I am afraid that won't solve my problems. gsettings configures actions that need to follow on certain key combinations, but here key combinations are not registered altogether. The window manager never registers the shortcut, so it doesn't work.
I have the same issue with i3wm...
Same issue on Sway, as well.
I looked at the keycodes the keyboard is sending using xev, and it looks like it doesn't send arrow keys' keycodes when the Super key is being held.
This annoys me as well (as a vote, I suppose). I've set the same configurations but using the Alt key. Not ideal, but a decent workaround for now.
(11-20-2019, 07:11 AM)deviantgnome Wrote: This annoys me as well (as a vote, I suppose). I've set the same configurations but using the Alt key. Not ideal, but a decent workaround for now.

Nice idea. I think we might have to live with it.

Have read the Pine key has some special hardware control functions, this may be why.

More info here: https://www.pine64.org/2019/09/05/septem...ping-soon/
(11-21-2019, 01:27 AM)aaditya Wrote: Have read the Pine key has some special hardware control functions, this may be why.

More info here: https://www.pine64.org/2019/09/05/septem...ping-soon/

True, but as they put it it should not be an issue for other combinations:
Quote:the ‘PINE64’ logo key now functions as a regular Super key unless pressed down with F10, F11 and F12 key for 3 seconds.

Ironically I believe to have set a working shortcut for Modkey+F11 (not really sure though).

I would love to have some kind of official response to this issue since it is so easily verifiable...
Actually similar issue is present for combination that does not include Mod4 and unfortunately new firmware does not solve any of those issues. Not sure how I'm gonna live without shorcut for "raise or spawn web browser" that I've used for more than 10 years Smile.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  volume keys on armbian pine76 0 1,614 01-23-2021, 08:03 AM
Last Post: pine76