OpenMediaVault (PINE A64(+)) 4.13.10 [Nov 21] | OpenMediaVault (A64-LTS / SOPINE) 4.13.10 [Nov 21] | Q4OS (PINE A64(+)) 2.4-r1 [Nov 10] | Volumio (ROCK64) 2.299 [Oct 30] | Q4OS (Pinebook) 2.4-r1 [Oct 30] | DietPi (ROCK64) v156 [Oct 24] | Armbian - Xenial Desktop (Pinebook) 5.34 [Oct 24] | motionEyeOS (PINE A64(+)) 20171003 [Oct 23] | Android Images (ROCK64) 20171012 [Oct 23]

Getting Started | Visit the WIKI | IRC Logs | Forum Rules/Policy

Arch Killing long running node/npm processes before finishing
Question 
hello all,

when i run certian longer processes in node.js/npm, like an update ($ npm update -g) or to search for an npm package ($ npm search elm), it starts the process on my Pine64 A64+ w/ 2 GB board, but then half- or even three-quarters of the way through, it just kills the process before it completes; particularly, i noticed, when it's waiting for info to come back across the 'net through the ethernet port, with —

Killed

then it just gives me the command prompt again, process never completes. this happens no matter how many times i re-try it.

is there anyway to change a setting, somewhere, that will extend the amount of time before these processes are killed? any help would be much appreciated, please. thank you and advance. 

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
Can you please provide the output of 'uname -a' and 'cat /proc/meminfo'
(04-28-2016, 10:59 AM)@tkaiser Wrote: Can you please provide the output of 'uname -a' and 'cat /proc/meminfo'

@tkaiser —

sure! thank you for the help. 

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux alarm 3.10.65-2-pine64-longsleep #39 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 4 21:55:14 CET 2016 aarch64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:                    1002164 KB
MemFree:                      568180 KB
Buffers:                       86380 KB
Cached:                        95496 KB
SwapCached:                        0 KB
Active:                       258452 KB
Inactive:                      89028 KB
Active(anon):                 155952 KB
Inactive(anon):                 2104 KB
Active(file):                  92500 KB
Inactive(file):                86924 KB
Unevictable:                       0 KB
Mlocked:                           0 KB
SwapTotal:                         0 KB
SwapFree:                          0 KB
Dirty:                             0 KB
Writeback:                         0 KB
AnonPages:                    155648 KB
Mapped:                         7692 KB
Shmem:                          2428 KB
Slab:                          58608 KB
SReclaimable:                  43192 KB
SUnreclaim:                    15416 KB
KernelStack:                    2576 KB
PageTables:                     2692 KB
NFS_Unstable:                      0 KB
Bounce:                            0 KB
WritebackTmp:                      0 KB
CommitLimit:                  501080 KB
Commit_AS:                    746612 KB
Vmalloctotal:              251658176 KB
Vmallocused:                   23944 KB
Vmallocchunk:              251625116 KB
HugePages_Total:                   0 KB
HugePages_Free:                    0 KB
HugePages_Rsvd:                    0 KB
HugePages_Surp:                    0 KB
Hugepagesize:                   2048 KB

there you go. please let me know and thank you for the help.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
Thx for the answer. The OS image you're using is obviously only able to recognize 1 GB RAM (know issue, fixed by longsleep ages ago) and also the kernel is rather outdated. By simply executing the three lines below you get 1 GB more useable DRAM, a fixed MAC address without any hassles and a bunch of other fixes for free.

Unfortunately the Pine64 folks do a really really bad job providing necessary informations (maybe for a reason? Marketing matters) and all you need to do is to update both u-boot and kernel.

Please read through these instructions:

- http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=737
- http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293

TL;DR: To update any of the available OS images all that's needed is just the following executed as root followed by a reboot:

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_uboot.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_kernel.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_fix_whatever.sh)

It's a shame that such essential information isn't provided at the download location where every new user searches for software.

Regarding your real issue I would suspect reading through 'man nohup' should be able to solve the issue? Smile
(04-28-2016, 10:14 AM)faddah Wrote:
hello all,

when i run certian longer processes in node.js/npm, like an update ($ npm update -g) or to search for an npm package ($ npm search elm), it starts the process on my Pine64 A64+ w/ 2 GB board, but then half- or even three-quarters of the way through, it just kills the process before it completes; particularly, i noticed, when it's waiting for info to come back across the 'net through the ethernet port, with —

Killed

then it just gives me the command prompt again, process never completes. this happens no matter how many times i re-try it.

is there anyway to change a setting, somewhere, that will extend the amount of time before these processes are killed? any help would be much appreciated, please. thank you and advance. 

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Linux doesn't normally kill processes that run long. Try "dmesg | tail" after the process is killed to see if something like oom is killing it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch Linux image (BSP Kernel) longsleep 28 12,908 05-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Archlinux up and Running scnd 4 812 04-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Leoncito81
  what/where is the package manager on Arch Linux? spruce1 8 1,146 04-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Last Post: cplr