30.91%
Textures or photography
7.27%
Humor
3.64%
55 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Skins for the community
I'm liking most of these designs. They're amazing! Thanks to all who created these. Now down to business. Who do I pay and how much to get a skin? I know at this point it would be a one off custom job and I understand there will be a premium. DM me if you're able and willing to print and cut some vinyl that I can pay you for. Specifically after top display and palm rest. Thanks!
(12-07-2019, 12:18 PM)Tekchip Wrote: I'm liking most of these designs. They're amazing! Thanks to all who created these. Now down to business. Who do I pay and how much to get a skin? I know at this point it would be a one off custom job and I understand there will be a premium. DM me if you're able and willing to print and cut some vinyl that I can pay you for. Specifically after top display and palm rest. Thanks!

@krishorne5 and I are working on that. He works at a place that handles a lot of production on vinyl, and have some good options to explore. We're then going to explore doing a small run of ~1000 skins and how we could make them available.

UPDATE: Got a sample of the vinyl in clear. Haven't cut any strips to test it out yet. Got sick over the weekend and then they found stuff for me to do at work, and I'm just pooped once I get home. Haven't forgotten about it, though!
Updated the star trails design. Made the trails softer, and added a bit more emphasis to the logo. Added a bit of a dark purple to the background to help simulate the gradation of a night sky. I'll try to make a wallpaper version later today.

[Image: lTC9se7.jpg]
I think that one is very nice. Thumbs up!
Thanks!
So I finally got around to trying out the proposed skinning vinyl. It's awesome stuff!

I started with a small corner, just in case it didn't react as expected. As you can see, it does as expected with the texturing of the case and makes an interesting pattern. (Sorry, my home lighting and camera aren't good for photos.)

After a little bit of it sitting on the case, I wanted to test peeling it up, and it was extremely easy to do! It left no residue, and laid back down without any signs of curling.

It has a very smooth feel to it, and has not shown any of my fingerprints in the light. What you may actually see in the last photo, where the film was, is a lack of my skin oils.

Now it's time to get one cut for the lid, and give it an extended testing.

[Image: HQjYCGq.jpg]

Closer view:
[Image: AhvozoK.jpg]

Peeling the sample corner up:
[Image: gDyW5BN.jpg]
Oh nice @tophneal !
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-18-2019, 05:45 PM)tophneal Wrote: So I finally got around to trying out the proposed skinning vinyl. It's awesome stuff!

Cool. I am interested to hear how the colors work with this.
(12-19-2019, 06:31 AM)undo Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 05:45 PM)tophneal Wrote: So I finally got around to trying out the proposed skinning vinyl. It's awesome stuff!

Cool. I am interested to hear how the colors work with this.

Same! When I last talked to @krishorne5 we settled on the first lid skin being on this transparent with a logo in the middle. The simplicity should make it easier to get one produced without interfering with other, real jobs. I'm going to go after a full color one after our industries calm down from the end of year season.
Hi All,
First round of prototypes done! Will be posting more soon.

Attached Files
.jpg   PBP-skins2.jpg (Size: 495.86 KB / Downloads: 449)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Community Wallpapers tophneal 15 14,746 06-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  Just a thank you of creating a community device that makes HW fun again gabeeg 1 2,990 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro Community pre-order ending / public pre-order open on 25th Luke 8 13,052 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: mjsabby