Step By Step How To Install Ubuntu Image
(04-19-2016, 08:30 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Okay, sorry that was my misunderstanding then.  I downloaded the image from Longsleep's repository which is linked below.  Is that where you got it?

https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/

No I did not get from here I got from Google drive that is found on wiki.pine64. And it's a huge 7.2 GBs file that is image of Michael Larson's device I think. Here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...=drive_web 

But the link you gave includes 180MBs of a xz file? Should I go with that one?
(04-19-2016, 11:39 PM)hayrikaya Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 08:30 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Okay, sorry that was my misunderstanding then.  I downloaded the image from Longsleep's repository which is linked below.  Is that where you got it?

https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/

No I did not get from here I got from Google drive that is found on wiki.pine64. And it's a huge 7.2 GBs file that is image of Michael Larson's device I think. Here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...=drive_web 

But the link you gave includes 180MBs of a xz file? Should I go with that one?

That's the one I used booted right up no muss no fuss, well that was until I tried to input user/password.  I don't think it's an image problem though, when pine powers the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock lights are all on and I cannot input anything or toggle lights.  The keyboard works with Android, it could because I am using a 2Gb unit dino didn't have time to tinker, so I left it, hopefully when I rouse myself :/ in the early afternoon I can figure it out . Maybe a different keyboard or something we shall see.  Thanks for the verifiable install instructions helps minimize user error.

Cheers
Hi,

The image that I linked worked perfectly for me and it sounds like @MrWizerd had the same experience.  I think that you should give try it.  Hopefully it will address your issues.
(04-20-2016, 05:55 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Hi,

The image that I linked worked perfectly for me and it sounds like @MrWizerd had the same experience.  I think that you should give try it.  Hopefully it will address your issues.

Yup, worked like a treat, I have to reseat my keyboard for some reason, probably because it's a cheap keyboard... 

The other thing and maybe the op could add this to his guide is that in order to install mate you MUST run the command "sudo apt-get update" as suggested by pineypinguin. This updates the repository and will fix the file not found (404) errors.  I am restarting this because it may it get missed and users not familiar with Linux/Unix may not know about updating repositories.  I practiced on an old laptop for a while which is how I knew.
(04-20-2016, 08:36 AM)MrWizerd Wrote:

Yup, worked like a treat, I have to reseat my keyboard for some reason, probably because it's a cheap keyboard... 

The other thing and maybe the op could add this to his guide is that in order to install mate you MUST run the command "sudo apt-get update" as suggested by pineypinguin. This updates the repository and will fix the file not found (404) errors.  I am restarting this because it may it get missed and users not familiar with Linux/Unix may not know about updating repositories.  I practiced on an old laptop for a while which is how I knew.

Yes I also faced the "Failed to fetch" error when installed MATE, a "sudo apt-get update" solved it. Although for me it took quite long to install finish MATE.
It's about a five minute download, the install takes a while... I am having trouble with Firefox, I am going to see if there is more info somewhere on this build...
Please how to set 4K HDMI video output ?
(04-20-2016, 07:16 PM)qoo2345 Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 08:36 AM)MrWizerd Wrote:

Yes I also faced the "Failed to fetch" error when installed MATE, a "sudo apt-get update" solved it. Although for me it took quite long to install finish MATE.
hello qoo2345
I just installed Longsleep Ubuntu with desktop  (Ubuntu Linux Image base on Longsleep 20160421 ), and now I dont know the login for "ubuntu". Maybe stupid of me, it's not mentioned anywhere on the Pine64 site, and I am very fresh new on Linux.....
thanks
In the first post of this thread, it says that the user ID and password are both ubuntu. Does that work?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
This thread has been excellent!  Much better than the Allwinner flash program that I have yet to successfully load a copy of Android, Remix, or anything onto my Pines...  I thought they were junk til i found these instructions.

So with the help here, i've set one of my pines up as a headless CUPS/Samba print server, and managed to load Pi-hole onto it to block ads! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu server 20.04 request phi0x 2 5,284 12-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: phi0x
  Xenial Minimal Image (PINE A64(+)) 0.6.2-77 pineadmin 4 21,484 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: jrronimo
  Install Telegram Desktop in KDE Neon podcastlinux 2 6,158 01-26-2020, 01:43 AM
Last Post: giga
  Kickstarter P64 with LCD, working image? MostHated 1 4,428 01-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Last Post: igorp
  Allwinner A64 RTC bug fix on bionic image? tkaivola 1 4,773 02-01-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: tllim
  SPI on ubuntu IlyaM 4 9,086 07-16-2018, 03:00 AM
Last Post: kingflab
  Ubuntu password not working joemassimino 4 8,512 05-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Luke
  After flashing Ubuntu- how to get graphical desktop Partymack711 6 10,834 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
  (ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) longsleep 337 633,723 01-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PPTP doesnt work with ubuntu escovedo 2 8,656 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: gilbertotcc