eMMC errors
I am trying to setup Openmediavault onto my newly purchased Rock64.  I bought the USB eMMC adaptor to ease installations and I can write the image with no errors using the Pine64 Etcher application, but when I insert it and turn on my Rock64, I get the errors in the attached image (Sorry, I don't have any other way to capture it other than taking a picture with my phone.)

I have tried the following:

• Removing and re-inserting the eMMC, making sure the contacts are clean
  • wiping it and reinstalling
  • On my Windows PC, 'cleaning' the disk completely and checking it for errors using the USB adaptor
What else should I be doing?

N00b question alert: The jumper on the board is only to be used IF you want to boot from SD Card, correct? You leave it open if you want to boot from eMMC?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

"Don't mention the war!" - Basil Fawlty
I have just tried using the main Etcher program - no difference.

I also tried writing the eMMC on a USB2 port instead of USB3, just to eliminate that.

Could it be I have a faulty eMMC module?
(03-02-2018, 02:36 PM)MrFawlty Wrote: I am trying to setup Openmediavault onto my newly purchased Rock64.  I bought the USB eMMC adaptor to ease installations and I can write the image with no errors using the Pine64 Etcher application, but when I insert it and turn on my Rock64, I get the errors in the attached image (Sorry, I don't have any other way to capture it other than taking a picture with my phone.)

I have tried the following:

• Removing and re-inserting the eMMC, making sure the contacts are clean
  • wiping it and reinstalling
  • On my Windows PC, 'cleaning' the disk completely and checking it for errors using the USB adaptor
What else should I be doing?

N00b question alert: The jumper on the board is only to be used IF you want to boot from SD Card, correct? You leave it open if you want to boot from eMMC?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Which image are you using, some 0.6.x versions had broken emmc support.

Yes, the jumped disables emmc.
I just used the installer, so version 0.5.15-136
(03-03-2018, 08:11 PM)MrFawlty Wrote: I just used the installer, so version 0.5.15-136

Are you able to mount and inspect the emmc card from a computer, either running linux or a live boot CD?
Yes. I get 6 "You need to Format this disc" pop-ups when I insert on my Windows PC (I don't have a Linux PC running).  I have attached what Disk Management reports. I can browse through to one of the partitions.  All the others are reported as 'Unformatted'

Well, this is weird. I pressed the reset button to see if that worked - no changes on the first 2 attempts but on the 3rd - it works! It booted into Openmediavault and I can set it up.

I'll report back once i try turning it off and on a few times.
I'm getting this problem too, both 32 and 64 bit builds.  If you boot from SD, does your networking work? I'm wondering if we have the same problem.
I HAVE A SOLUTION!

Had this exact problem and was beating my head against the wall for 3 days trying to get it to go. Eventually, I stumbled on this thread. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5622

Turns out there's a bug with eMMC in the "Stable" version of openmediavault linked from the wiki page. In order to use eMMC you need to be on the latest (pre-release) version which is linked here https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases

One thing I noticed is they don't have an SD to eMMC version so to use it you'll need to have an eMMC adapter to connect to your PC.

Could someone from PINE64 please update the wiki!
(04-01-2018, 08:45 PM)da_guy2 Wrote: I HAVE A SOLUTION!

Had this exact problem and was beating my head against the wall for 3 days trying to get it to go. Eventually, I stumbled on this thread. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5622

Turns out there's a bug with eMMC in the "Stable" version of openmediavault linked from the wiki page. In order to use eMMC you need to be on the latest (pre-release) version which is linked here https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases

One thing I noticed is they don't have an SD to eMMC version so to use it you'll need to have an eMMC adapter to connect to your PC.

Could someone from PINE64 please update the wiki!

We will put a note on the Wiki page. Once the next ayufan next "Stable" build released, we will revise back to use "Stable" release.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 u-boot for eMMC Build Error mexicanflyer 0 993 09-18-2022, 02:29 PM
Last Post: mexicanflyer
Thumbs Up USB3.0 to eMMC Adapter... MattDralle 2 2,822 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine Rock64 eMMC lifespan moonspell79 3 3,598 08-19-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Receiving errors about eMMC (?) acasta 11 15,393 09-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ridgarou
  USB -> eMMC is now available. Luke 15 28,267 07-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Brick How to Write an Image to the eMMC Module Tutorial MarkHaysHarris777 55 102,482 02-06-2019, 04:02 PM
  flash image to sd/emmc through ethernet LMM 0 2,225 02-04-2019, 07:36 AM
Last Post: LMM
  OMV - graphical distortion and SIP errors Mentaluproar 4 5,182 06-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Mentaluproar
  Card emmc Auggoncalves 2 3,588 06-25-2018, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Auggoncalves
  Debian to eMMC? Hoerli 7 8,299 05-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: pfeerick