Which OS is better to run on ROCK64?
(03-15-2018, 05:08 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 04:56 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 03:03 PM)elik745i Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 01:23 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 01:11 PM)elik745i Wrote: I have issues with perfomance, can't play even fullhd video files, browsers can't display smooth youtube videos.... I have raspberry pi 3 and despite the fact that raspbian's specs are way less than this crappy rock64, it performs way better...
I need desktop solution, or at least android system. Currently non of which can work properly on this board.

Sorry I'm bit upset...

If you want a good (as far as the SOC and state of development permits) Linux desktop experience then follow follow the linked tutorial. 
What is your issue with Android? I have a ATV build running since what seems to be forever and it blows everything/anything that RPI has to offer in terms of media consumption...

issue with android is: I have WIFI and Bluetooth USB dongles and non of them operational in Android, however worked on Linux straight away.

wifi is rtl8192cu and I've tried also rtl8192eu, non of the work in android, most probably lack of drivers... same with bluetooth, I do not know the chipset, but it's 4.1bluetooth and it works in linux too, but not in android.

thanks for tutorial with desktop solution, currently I'm about to install the same and test it!

Also, if you want media playback, why not use LibreELEC ? All my BT and WiFi dongles work, there is docker so you can do a bunch of other things (even run a full debian) and a lot of native add-ons .... Not to mention that the latest alpha build is running really  well for me.

Sorry to hijack the thread, ive seen you also have a rtl8812au and i see you mentioning here that it works on the libreelec build but i was unable to make it work on my rock64, what libreelec version did you try? can it be a device id problem? mine is an tp-link t4uhp (2357:010f)...if its a device id problem you know any solution? (my linux knowledge is somehow limited)

No clue, mine just works. And not only the rtl8812au but also a bunch of cheapo (small) WiFi dongles I've got lying around. I am currently using leia24, but I've had no issues with either BT or WiFi dongles since leia21 if I remember correctly. If need be, ask in the LibreELEC thread - perhaps Raybuntu will have a suggestion as to what the cause may be.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-15-2018, 05:21 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 05:08 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 04:56 PM)Luke Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 03:03 PM)elik745i Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 01:23 PM)Luke Wrote: If you want a good (as far as the SOC and state of development permits) Linux desktop experience then follow follow the linked tutorial. 
What is your issue with Android? I have a ATV build running since what seems to be forever and it blows everything/anything that RPI has to offer in terms of media consumption...

issue with android is: I have WIFI and Bluetooth USB dongles and non of them operational in Android, however worked on Linux straight away.

wifi is rtl8192cu and I've tried also rtl8192eu, non of the work in android, most probably lack of drivers... same with bluetooth, I do not know the chipset, but it's 4.1bluetooth and it works in linux too, but not in android.

thanks for tutorial with desktop solution, currently I'm about to install the same and test it!

Also, if you want media playback, why not use LibreELEC ? All my BT and WiFi dongles work, there is docker so you can do a bunch of other things (even run a full debian) and a lot of native add-ons .... Not to mention that the latest alpha build is running really  well for me.

Sorry to hijack the thread, ive seen you also have a rtl8812au and i see you mentioning here that it works on the libreelec build but i was unable to make it work on my rock64, what libreelec version did you try? can it be a device id problem? mine is an tp-link t4uhp (2357:010f)...if its a device id problem you know any solution? (my linux knowledge is somehow limited)

No clue, mine just works. And not only the rtl8812au but also a bunch of cheapo (small) WiFi dongles I've got lying around. I am currently using leia24, but I've had no issues with either BT or WiFi dongles since leia21 if I remember correctly. If need be, ask in the LibreELEC thread - perhaps Raybuntu will have a suggestion as to what the cause may be.

Its a device ID problem apparently, im no expert on linux stuff but google allways gives you tips about stuff and the module is there, i can force load it but it say "used by: 0", and when i check the modules.alias file there is the 2357:010D (wich is allmost the same card exept with less power) but there is no 2357:010F, the chipset (and driver i assume) is the same if you look at this and this...but the libreelec OS itself is locked and im not sure if i can edit stuff without recompiling...anyway...im not sure why i inform so much to you, i should post about this on the libreelec thread lol, thanks for watching anyway Big Grin
is it desktop OS? that LibreELEC

(03-15-2018, 04:56 PM)Luke Wrote: Also, if you want media playback, why not use LibreELEC ? All my BT and WiFi dongles work, there is docker so you can do a bunch of other things (even run a full debian) and a lot of native add-ons .... Not to mention that the latest alpha build is running really  well for me.

Luke, thanks for help!

I've installed Bionic minimal and installed ubuntu-desktop and LXDE

I have managed to launch GUI with command startx, but how to do that in automode? I want login screen not from terminal black window, but propper desktop GUI, what and where should I write, configure, edit/install in order to do that?
I have not tried the rest yet...

OMG why ROCK64 does not release propper desktop LINUX with good drivers set and software....
I tested Ubuntu and Debian.

After a few of "sudo apt dist-upgrade", they are both dead, cannot boot from SD card any more.

I think the online repository for Rock64 update is messed up somehow -- something should not be downloaded and updated from "apt upgrade"

Could someone check it.

Repeatable issue  steps --

1. Download the latest Debian image (debian 9) , burn into SD Card.

2. Boot Rock64.  good

3. sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade.

Dead, cannot boot from SD Card.
I've been testing both the Rock64 and Rock64 Pro for about two months. I'm a long time Raspberry Pi developer. Unfortunately, the OS support on the Rock is poor. If you're doing GPIO, there is no official Python library. The Leapo library that everyone uses is buggy and does not support hardware interrupts (and thus callbacks). You have to poll. Pine has neither fixed this or answered my direct questions about it.

When running Ubuntu, I get segmentation faults. Trying Armbian, I get multiple issues trying to reconcile the python library dependencies. Sorry to say, but I'm not impressed. The hardware seems decent, but Pine has a long way to go before they have a stable production platform. We hoped to buy hundreds for a corporate project, but are giving up and running old slow reliable RPi.
(12-02-2018, 08:33 PM)pantera Wrote: I've been testing both the Rock64 and Rock64 Pro for about two months. I'm a long time Raspberry Pi developer. Unfortunately, the OS support on the Rock is poor...

You are totally right, that is why I sold my Rock64 board.
Armbian Stretch downloaded here https://www.armbian.com/rock64/ It's been running HomeSeer 24/7 headless for 6 months 24/7 with one sudo apt upgrade flawlessly. I'm not sure what people expect from a SBC but in my case it does the job.
(12-11-2018, 03:39 PM)Rocklobster Wrote: Armbian Stretch downloaded here https://www.armbian.com/rock64/ It's been running HomeSeer 24/7 headless for 6 months 24/7 with one sudo apt upgrade flawlessly. I'm not sure what people expect from a SBC but in my case it does the job.

I don't doubt that it works for some things, but if you put GPIO on a SBC, you should offer interrupt driven access to the pins! It's unbelievable that Pine does not. Notice also the lack of Pine reply to this thread. I assume that you're not using GPIO. If you are you are polling and that's inexcusable.
(12-11-2018, 04:46 PM)pantera Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 03:39 PM)Rocklobster Wrote: Armbian Stretch downloaded here https://www.armbian.com/rock64/ It's been running HomeSeer 24/7 headless for 6 months 24/7 with one sudo apt upgrade flawlessly. I'm not sure what people expect from a SBC but in my case it does the job.

I don't doubt that it works for some things, but if you put GPIO on a SBC, you should offer interrupt driven access to the pins! It's unbelievable that Pine does not. Notice also the lack of Pine reply to this thread. I assume that you're not using GPIO. If you are you are polling and that's inexcusable.

I'm polling nothing. I'm giving a personal opinion on my experience with the Rock64. You may not like to hear about someone who it has actually worked for.

I wanted a powerful enough processor with plenty of memory overhead that could run my home automation system and that's what I got. If I'd wanted a GPIO tinker board I'd have opted for one of the many tried and tested Raspberry Pi's.

I did my research first unlike many here who jumped on the Rock64 bandwagon before it was off the production line and now want a refund.
You've missed my entire point. I meant polling in GPIO terms and inexcusable to Pine.  As a software engineer, I should be able to set callbacks and not constantly interrogate the pins for voltage.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 153 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,373 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 338 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 619 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 613 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 8,419 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 190,731 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 593 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 652 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 33,458 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7