i3wm xenial-i3 introduction -- mate terminal & battery monitor
Information 
Greetings,

The purpose of this blog post is to introduce the  i3  window manager , as well the ayufan xenial-i3 pine community image.  I am a completely sold out i3wm convert ;  never going back--  i3 for me !

The i3 Window Manager Tutorials and Introductory Videos

Tutorial Introduction from i3wm.org

On-line Tutorial Video Part (1/3)

On-line Tutorial Video Part (2/3)

On-line Tutorial Video Part (3/3)

i3wm User's Guide from i3wm.org

The above tutorials are well worth the time and effort, are fast--and fun--and will get you up and running with this super tiling windows manager on your new Pinebook !

I am currently running the 0.4.16 xenial-i3 on my Pinebook with the mate-terminal;  you may quickly want to replace the terminal on i3 because the font is so small, and because the dafault is a minimalist terminal;  the mate-terminal is fully equipped and ready to roll with nice fonts and a rich tool-bar:

sudo apt install mate-terminal

Below I am going to show the interface of this excellent tiling window manager, and provide a batt_status.sh script which can be used to monitor your battery status more effectively than the i3 status bar.

The pic above is my first ( #1 ) virtual work space;  I have three terminals open--  it is clearly obvious why its called a tiling window manager.  Not to worry , floating windows are configurable too!

I'm doing some Python work in the left terminal, and in the right terminal I'm displaying the code ( also included here ) for displaying the battery status in a loop-- running in the bottom right-hand terminal of work-space #1.

I removed the battery block of my  .i3status.conf  file.  The script below ( batt_status.sh ) goes in your ~/bin/  folder and runs in a forever loop in a small terminal showing the battery current status ( charging | discharging ) the voltage in micro volts, and the percent capacity. 

Note:  the battery status bar component is broken on this image.  The script below is a simple elegant solution for battery monitoring in a tiling terminal environment.

batt_status.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

while [ 1 == 1 ]
do
   echo " capacity : " `cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity`
   echo "  voltage : " `cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now`
   echo "   status : " `cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/status`
   sleep 7
done

Note:  the little quote-like characters above ARE NOT quotes-- they are back-ticks;  the little character under the tilde ( to the left of the 1 key on most keyboards ).

Remember,  i3  is a tiling window manager NOT an OS;  the operating system under the covers is ubuntu which is a debian derivative.  

Enjoy !

Shy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Wow, thank you a lot - it is amazingly fast, I'll not switch back to mate Smile
But looks like closed lid is not send notebook to sleep, yes?
hi , a quick warning;   I never close my lid and put the computer to sleep ( not ever ).

The warning is that if you forget you did that ( and sooner or later you will ) the battery will run flat !  and when it does, it will NOT recharge without going through some very costly and troublesome hoops.  ( words to the wise )

Always shutdown the system ...  on the i3 window manager the best way is in a terminal with :

sudo poweroff

Shy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
So, I did some configuration to fix battery indicator issue.

First of all install i3blocks via apt-get and config i3 file to use i3blocks as main bar. 
After this, open:
Code:
[email protected]:~$ vim ./.config/i3/i3blocks.conf

And edit battery section to this one:
Code:
[battery]
label=BAT
command=tail "/sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity"
#label=⚡
#instance=1
interval=30

For sound you can do the same:

Code:
[volume]
label=VOL
#label=♪
instance=Master
#instance=PCM
interval=1
signal=10
command=/usr/share/i3blocks/volume 5 pulse

For anyone, I will strongly recommend to spend few time for videos in the start of the tread - they are easy and very helpful for i3 noobs like i'm.

I have not fix an issue with closed lid yet and still can't find a terminal command to edit brightness value, if someone know it, please share it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems putting Ubuntu (Xenial Mate) on my replacement eMMC. frank-zappa 11 340 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Battery Status in Bionic X-Istence 3 184 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  Armbian - Xenial Desktop (Pinebook) pineadmin 79 14,584 03-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Last Post: tllim
  .bashrc to show battery percentage at prompt e-minguez 1 103 03-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Last Post: PatrickM
  How can I reliably get battery status on pinebook tillea 4 1,032 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM
Last Post: chessie
Information How to set the Power Off key binding in i3wm for the Pinebook MarkHaysHarris777 4 1,067 12-25-2018, 05:57 AM
Last Post: binholz
Information How to set Keybindings for LCD Brightness in i3wm MarkHaysHarris777 2 838 12-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Surehand53
  How to Configure Screen Brightness in mate on pinebook via terinal? shirman 6 821 12-02-2018, 05:37 AM
Last Post: mikee3000
  Xenial Images (Pinebook) 0.6.2-77 pineadmin 11 3,189 09-24-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: erchache2000
  WiFi on Xenial Minimal soupbowl 3 623 08-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Last Post: jblakeharris