Is the Rock 64 something strange?
Hi, all

Please let me ask a little.

I got Rock 64, but a problem has arisen.

- Start writing images to microsd. And restarting the file system breaks.
- Launch the image and freeze it when trying to edit the file with vi etc. It is possible to log in again from another terminal. However, when trying to output syslog again with vi or cat, it freeze.
Write -image and execute fsck etc. before booting but at this point the file system does not appear to be broken.
-microsd burned the image through SD card adapter and USB card reader against Samsung EVO 32GB and silicon power (class 10 UHS-1) 32GB, but both are the same.
- I tried the following method to bake an image, but it is the same.
 - Windows 10 / Etcher 1.12
 - Windows 10 / Win32 DiskImager 1.0
 - ubuntu / Etcher1.12
 - ubuntu / dd (sudo dd bs=1M conv=fsync if=OS.img of=/dev/sde)

The image I tried is as follows
 - Debian Stretch Minimal Linux Kernel ver 4.4 (0.4.16 / 0.4.17)
 - Xenial Minimal Linux Kernel ver 4.4 (0.4.16 / 0.4.17)
 - Xenial i3 Linux Kernel ver 4.4 (0.4.16 / 0.4.17)

Regarding the SD card adapter and the USB card reader, I burned images such as Pine 64 and Orange Pi, but there were no such problems.

In this case, should we suspect hardware (Rock 64)?

Best regards.
(08-17-2017, 04:52 AM)kometchtech Wrote: In this case, should we suspect hardware (Rock 64)?

No.

... always suspect a bad, cheap, defective or fraudulent SD card;  its that simple.

We recommend Samsung 32G Class 10 Evo Plus cards !   Also, you can test your cards for fraud;  there are many fraudulent cards out there;  please read this link.

Rolleyes
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-17-2017, 05:00 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 04:52 AM)kometchtech Wrote: In this case, should we suspect hardware (Rock 64)?

No.

... always suspect a bad, cheap, defective or fraudulent SD card;  its that simple.

We recommend Samsung 32G Class 10 Evo Plus cards !   Also, you can test your cards for fraud;  there are many fraudulent cards out there;  please read this link.

Rolleyes

Thanks for the reply.

Is Samsung EVO plus? If EVO is useless, I feel pretty severe with regard to the corresponding microsd.
Let's buy Evo plus for the time being and try it.

Best regards.
(08-17-2017, 05:48 AM)kometchtech Wrote:

No.

Rolleyes

Thanks for the reply.

Is Samsung EVO plus? If EVO is useless, I feel pretty severe with regard to the corresponding microsd.

Best regards.

Evo is OK but beware there are a huge amount of counterfeits on offer or sub standard product.
Evo just slower and the price saving isn't really worth while but that card you have could be defective.
Have you tried writing an number of large files to it and used it on something else?
(08-17-2017, 06:37 AM)stuartiannaylor Wrote:

No.

Rolleyes

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards.

Evo is OK but beware there are a huge amount of counterfeits on offer or sub standard product.
Evo just slower and the price saving isn't really worth while but that card you have could be defective.
Have you tried writing an number of large files to it and used it on something else?

Thank you for reaction.

According to the information you hear from Samsung EVO, there seems to be various problems. Certainly, silicon power is different, but for EVO it is purchased from overseas and imported.
I tried to check with f3 tool heard from MarkHaysHarris777, but the microsd card itself seems not to be damaged (the file system was not broken). However, the write speed is 10MB, which seems to be just like Guaranteed by Class10 for the time being.

Let's order EVO plus at a domestic store for the time being.
So I will check again.

Once you have obtained EVO plus you will contact the results.

Thank you for your advice.

Best regards.
(08-17-2017, 06:50 AM)kometchtech Wrote:

No.

Rolleyes

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards.

Thank you for reaction.

According to the information you hear from Samsung EVO, there seems to be various problems. Certainly, silicon power is different, but for EVO it is purchased from overseas and imported.
I tried to check with f3 tool heard from MarkHaysHarris777, but the microsd card itself seems not to be damaged (the file system was not broken). However, the write speed is 10MB, which seems to be just like Guaranteed by Class10 for the time being.

So I will check again.

Best regards.
It could be that Rock64 maybe a bad one but Flash and SD is so dodgy at the moment.
I got 2 Sandisk Cruizer Blade 32GB good price off ebay.
Packing and product looks perfect but complete rubbish and not even sure if its just a bad batch from Sandisk.
(08-17-2017, 07:17 AM)stuartiannaylor Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 06:50 AM)kometchtech Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 05:00 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: No.

Rolleyes

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards.

Thank you for reaction.

So I will check again.

Best regards.
It could be that Rock64 maybe a bad one but Flash and SD is so dodgy at the moment.
I got 2 Sandisk Cruizer Blade 32GB good price off ebay.
Packing and product looks perfect but complete rubbish and not even sure if its just a bad batch from Sandisk.
Oh ...

Anyway I bought I also from ebay. It was selected in only price.

We will use what we purchase from stores that do not have problems, such as authorized distributors, to use for this product.
It seems that that person is less likely to be in trouble.

Best regards.
Personally, this sounds more like a power supply issue (voltage too low, causing glitches).

What power supply are you using?
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(08-17-2017, 09:16 AM)fire219 Wrote: Personally, this sounds more like a power supply issue (voltage too low, causing glitches).

This might be a power supply issue, indeed .  

...  I need to make a comment on why Evo Plus.  If the card actually supports Evo  then the card will work better in a classical environment;  and also ( believe it or not ) run faster in general.  To put this more succinctly, the Evo Plus cards are a higher quality card and less likely to be prone to malfeasance ( no promises, just generally true ).

It is also important to get your cards from a reputable supplier;  if you buy one of the cheap cards on-line for that unbelievably low price , well , you're just asking for trouble ( I mean this with no sarcasm and ver genuinely ).

Fire219 makes a good point;  our two biggest problems are PSU, and SD card.  The PSU we recommend ( for various reasons ) is the switching supply on the pine store rated for 5v @3000ma;  3.0A.  DO NOT use a charger, and do not try to use a cheap linear supply or one rated for less than 2500ma.  YMMV,  and I'm not arguing about it.  If you don't want to do either of these recommendations, ok.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-17-2017, 11:35 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 09:16 AM)fire219 Wrote: Personally, this sounds more like a power supply issue (voltage too low, causing glitches).

This might be a power supply issue, indeed .  

...  I need to make a comment on why Evo Plus.  If the card actually supports Evo  then the card will work better in a classical environment;  and also ( believe it or not ) run faster in general.  To put this more succinctly, the Evo Plus cards are a higher quality card and less likely to be prone to malfeasance ( no promises, just generally true ).

It is also important to get your cards from a reputable supplier;  if you buy one of the cheap cards on-line for that unbelievably low price , well , you're just asking for trouble ( I mean this with no sarcasm and ver genuinely ).

Fire219 makes a good point;  our two biggest problems are PSU, and SD card.  The PSU we recommend ( for various reasons ) is the switching supply on the pine store rated for 5v @3000ma;  3.0A.  DO NOT use a charger, and do not try to use a cheap linear supply or one rated for less than 2500ma.  YMMV,  and I'm not arguing about it.  If you don't want to do either of these recommendations, ok.

I did not mention power supply.

But I do not think there is any problem with this.
Because I use the AC adapter (5v3a) I bought from official as I purchase Rock64.

Should I also doubt about this?

Best regards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock 64 failure / kernel panic n0021913 2 1,627 07-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: anchor00
  Rock 64 seem like a dead end munocat 3 4,795 03-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Last Post: thewonderer
  Rock 64 network error as soon as I try to write or read. georgegohl888 1 2,902 03-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Last Post: georgegohl888
  Rock 64 a failure..very disappointed arxaios 5 6,713 11-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Trash_Can_Man
  [Issue] All Rock leds are blinking Chispolas 6 7,740 04-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  [Warning: root device does not exist] Can not install generic kernel on ROCK 64? pine3228 0 2,554 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Last Post: pine3228
  [Repaired] [Progressed] [Successful] How to play Minecraft with ROCK 64 pine3228 9 11,514 03-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Last Post: pine3228
Sad Rock 64 No video borisacomputers 4 5,363 03-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: borisacomputers
  Strange situation mcrognale 5 5,256 11-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mcrognale
Wink My Stick of Rock digitaldaz 3 3,812 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Luke